All TIME MLB Draft: BirdmanJr is UP. Fincham11 is ON DECK

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Hollywood49er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
All the picks have been fine thus far. However, there should never be an all time MLB draft where the first 2 picks werent Babe Ruth and Willie Mays. They are the best 2 players to ever play the game in my opinion.

I think Bonds, Williams, Mays and Ruth all have good arguments. I just don't think there can ever be a consensus number one considering how drastically the game has changed since its inception.

I think Mays would have hit 800 homeruns if he hadnt missed 2 seasons to military and played in the toughest park in baseball for a RH hitter to hit homers.

Bonds simply was not in the class of Ruth, Mays, Williams, or Gehrig until the roid era. Sorry, but its true.

Shhhh...He is the greatest to ever play according to this board.

It must suck to have to rely on the abilities of others to make your points for you and all you can do is make snarky comments.

Lifer, while he did win multiple MVPs, John has a point. We're talking about the best of the best here, and Bonds didn't dominate to the same degree that those other guys did before the steroid era.

That being said, Bonds dominated that era (statistically speaking) moreso than any other player's done. His production relative to the era...despite the valid point that John makes...is what's going to be measured here.

I think both sides have valid points here.

It must suck to rely on a internet message board to prove your worth in life.

You assume that I do.

Your constant jabbs proves it little guy.
I could care less what you or anyone on this board thinks.
Your opinion or anybody elses means nothing to me or the real world.
QUICK, somebody post a HOT CHICK (or a repulsive one) so that we can re-focus on the 1st Round of our Beloved Draft.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jigga:
QUICK, somebody post a HOT CHICK (or a repulsive one) so that we can re-focus on the 1st Round of our Beloved Draft.

• Dino
  • Veteran

All I'll say is this. If you act respectfully, you'll never get a "jab" from me.

Back to the draft.
All the picks have been fine thus far. However, there should never be an all time MLB draft where the first 2 picks werent Babe Ruth and Willie Mays. They are the best 2 players to ever play the game in my opinion.

I think Bonds, Williams, Mays and Ruth all have good arguments. I just don't think there can ever be a consensus number one considering how drastically the game has changed since its inception.

I think Mays would have hit 800 homeruns if he hadnt missed 2 seasons to military and played in the toughest park in baseball for a RH hitter to hit homers.

Bonds simply was not in the class of Ruth, Mays, Williams, or Gehrig until the roid era. Sorry, but its true.

Same could be said for Ted Williams who missed three prime years of his career due to wars. Bonds played in a pitchers park for most of his career and did end up breaking up the home run record. The best pitcher Mays faced was Koufax, who is arguably one of the greats, but pitchers in the modern area are a totally different beast.

I just don't think there's a consensus best player, just too many variables.

On a side note, where the hell is ATG? A's fans......

[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Apr 8, 2010 at 11:34:13 ]

All I'll say is this. If you act respectfully, you'll never get a "jab" from me.

Back to the draft.

First off my initial comment wasn't even at you, but like always you had to make things about you and your so supposed knowledge (i uses the term very loosely), and jumped in firing off stuff.
Don't speak unless spoken to kid.
Back to the draft.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

That's a fair argument.

Bonds had already won multiple MVPs by the time his head grew 3 sizes to big, you can throw him in the argument...

I dont think that is necessarily true. Bonds was a great player obviously but not one of the greatest ever to play until he had help. There are others who have won multiple MVPs who would never be in that discussion.

Listen, Bonds was a great player before the roid era. No doubt he was first ballot HOF. I just dont think he is in the class of the top 4-5 players of all time. However, What IF just looks at one year and doesnt consider the roids era so he probably would be the top pick given that.

Back to the draft.

First off my initial comment wasn't even at you, but like always you had to make things about you and your so supposed knowledge (i uses the term very loosely), and jumped in firing off stuff.
Don't speak unless spoken to kid.
Back to the draft.

I asked you why you felt the way that you did, with no level of disrespect, and you just continued making snarky comments. The "kid" and "little guy" stuff is childish. If you want to talk to people without others jumping in, a message board isn't the right platform for you.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Apr 8, 2010 at 11:38:33 ]

• Dino
  • Veteran
Soooo.... How 'bout them Yankees?
Originally posted by Dino:
Originally posted by Jigga:

OOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dino:
Alltimegreat is up

Slick is on deck
I'm sorry, guys. I just don't understand why we can't talk about s**t without being pricks to each other. John made the exact same point about Bonds and didn't have to demean anyone else in the process. People don't talk to each other like that in real life, and it pisses me off when they do it behind a computer screen.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Apr 8, 2010 at 11:44:08 ]
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

That's a fair argument.

Bonds had already won multiple MVPs by the time his head grew 3 sizes to big, you can throw him in the argument...

I dont think that is necessarily true. Bonds was a great player obviously but not one of the greatest ever to play until he had help. There are others who have won multiple MVPs who would never be in that discussion.

Listen, Bonds was a great player before the roid era. No doubt he was first ballot HOF. I just dont think he is in the class of the top 4-5 players of all time. However, What IF just looks at one year and doesnt consider the roids era so he probably would be the top pick given that.

What if Bonds had won a championship? How would you view him? Because he and Mays were the greatest 5 tool players EVER.
Share 49ersWebzone