LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 318 users in the forums

Simmons NBA financial article

A lot of you guys have probably checked this out, if not, I highly recommend reading this article. Very interesting, and has great facts about ridiculous NBA contracts...

I agree with Simmons whole heartedly in this article... What do you guys think? Is it worth investing money as a fan into your team?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100224
Quote:
It's about Rasheed Wallace -- a guy who quit on his team last season, then showed up for this one with 34Cs and love handles -- roping the Celtics into a $20 million, three-year deal that will cost Boston twice that money in luxury tax penalties.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
this guy is pretty funny, but he also makes some good points.

I do agree the NBA is in trouble if they dont get there s**t fixed.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
NBA needs unguaranteed contracts, so it can weed out the lazy players and the malcontents, and everyone who underperforms while taking up a huge portion of his team's salary cap.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
this guy is pretty funny, but he also makes some good points.

I do agree the NBA is in trouble if they dont get there s**t fixed.

Bill Simmons is f**kin awesome. I always read his columns and listen to the podcasts. He knows his s**t (especially Basketball) and is hilarious.

Any of you guys read his book? I have. Its awesome.
Originally posted by crzy:
NBA needs unguaranteed contracts, so it can weed out the lazy players and the malcontents, and everyone who underperforms while taking up a huge portion of his team's salary cap.

eddy curry

I wonder if the owners are gonna push for that if so it might be the end of basketball for a long time b/c the players would be stupid to give that up. A lot of these teams just got to do better. Like I'm a Zards fan I mean anyway you cut Arenas getting 108 million just wasn't smart
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by lamontb:

I wonder if the owners are gonna push for that if so it might be the end of basketball for a long time b/c the players would be stupid to give that up. A lot of these teams just got to do better. Like I'm a Zards fan I mean anyway you cut Arenas getting 108 million just wasn't smart

First time I have ever heard that term.
Originally posted by susweel:

First time I have ever heard that term.

me too I thought about it as I read it then I got it when he said arenas lol

That would be nice... kind of like the NFL had it before. Something needs to change, these T-Mac, Jermaine O'neal, etc contracts are sickening and can screw teams over for some years.

Originally posted by sacniner:

That would be nice... kind of like the NFL had it before. Something needs to change, these T-Mac, Jermaine O'neal, etc contracts are sickening and can screw teams over for some years.

Two years ago, the highest paid player was Steve Francis. This year, it's T-Mac.
http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm
Funny how the NFL would be better off modeling their rookie contracts after the NBA, yet the NBA would be better off modeling their veteran contracts after the NFL.

This is a curious argument because teams have a minimum salary that they have to meet as well. Therefore, if the "zards" were to cut Arenas they would have to give that money to someone else, which 99.9% certainty deserves the money more than he does. So the argument that the owners can make is the pie is gonna be the same size, but will be divided up between the players that most deserve it in that particular year versus decisions made 6 years ago.

The players will argue that the owners the are the ones that gave out the contract in the first place. They signed the contract, they should live with it. Owners should not be allowed protection from their own dumb decisions.
Share 49ersWebzone