LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Official 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics Thread

• luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
i usually don't watch the opening but i'm looking forward to the ceremony on Friday; i think it will be pretty good
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jordache49:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by crzy:
SNORE

I can understand that point of view, but once every 4 years? I can have a good time watching curling and speed skating for 2 weeks.

Don't forget the snowboarding and downhill skiing!

The Skeleton races are insane... You wipe out, you're fuked

You gonna go to any events/hockey games since you are so close to it all ?
SNORE

I can understand that point of view, but once every 4 years? I can have a good time watching curling and speed skating for 2 weeks.

I am just in Calgary. Was planning on going but since I am out of a job I can't afford it. Terrible timing I guess.
SNORE

Nah, I would love to check out a hockey game but its just way too damn expensive.... I was in Van week and a half ago for a Canucks game, and the city was already rockin. Im sure a lot of people will hop on the ferry to Victoria too.
Russia is gonna be tough in Mens hockey, other than that, the rest are just pylon practice for Team Canada
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by King49er:
Russia is gonna be tough in Mens hockey, other than that, the rest are just pylon practice for Team Canada

Ve vill crush them like vittle bug!
[ Edited by KRS-1 on Feb 11, 2010 at 6:11 AM ]

Its gonna be tough to medal in hockey. Russians are dangerous, Sweedes and Fins are good and dont sleep on the US either. Czechz and Slovaks have decent teams too...

Really, in a tourny like this, with this much talent, it comes down to whos goalie is hot. Look @ Turin. You had a Swe/Fin final. They just rode Lundquist and Nittamayki. Fins have Kipper between the pipes now, and the US and Slovaks have Miller and Halak. Its going to be some real good hockey. Looking forward to it

Its gonna be tough to medal in hockey. Russians are dangerous, Sweedes and Fins are good and dont sleep on the US either. Czechz and Slovaks have decent teams too...

Really, in a tourny like this, with this much talent, it comes down to whos goalie is hot. Look @ Turin. You had a Swe/Fin final. They just rode Lundquist and Nittamayki. Fins have Kipper between the pipes now, and the US and Slovaks have Miller and Halak. Its going to be some real good hockey. Looking forward to it

I'm so pumped for Winter Olympics! I love Winter Olymps, skiing/curling/hockey are awesome to watch.

For hockey, here is my breakdown (in order of finish, and key player I excluded goalies who are obviously THE key player):

Canada - Deepest squad. Great mix of skill, speed and physical play. Key player: Rick Nash, if he can click with Crosby he has a great chance to lead in goals.

Russia - Great goal tending with the best 6 forwards of any team. But can they play D? Key Player: Andrei Markov, great with the puck but can he handle the physical play in a short tourney? He will be wearing a bulls eye for opposing forecheckers.

Sweden - Sedin's emergence this year makes them a very dangerous team. This is a changing of the guard for Sweden with Sedin, Backstrom, Erickson, Enstrom, Oduya playing pivotal roles in Forsberg and Lidstrom's last tourney. Key player: Loui Eriksson, the 24-year old is quietly putting together back-to-back 30 goal seasons while playing great defensively.

USA - Where Sweden is making a smooth transition, USA put together an almost completely different roster with very few veterans. But a gritty, quick, and young roster backed by a red-hot goalie can win games they shouldn't be in. Key Player: Bobby Ryan, the glaring weakness of USA is where are the goals going to come from? Where Kane and Kessel rely on speed and a blistering wrister, its Ryan who is the best natural goal scorer.

Finland and Czech are next on the list.
I went to school with this olympic gold medalist, same grade

Julia Mancuso
[ Edited by silkyjohnson on Feb 11, 2010 at 12:04 PM ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

I'm so pumped for Winter Olympics! I love Winter Olymps, skiing/curling/hockey are awesome to watch.

For hockey, here is my breakdown (in order of finish, and key player I excluded goalies who are obviously THE key player):

Canada - Deepest squad. Great mix of skill, speed and physical play. Key player: Rick Nash, if he can click with Crosby he has a great chance to lead in goals.

Russia - Great goal tending with the best 6 forwards of any team. But can they play D? Key Player: Andrei Markov, great with the puck but can he handle the physical play in a short tourney? He will be wearing a bulls eye for opposing forecheckers.

Sweden - Sedin's emergence this year makes them a very dangerous team. This is a changing of the guard for Sweden with Sedin, Backstrom, Erickson, Enstrom, Oduya playing pivotal roles in Forsberg and Lidstrom's last tourney. Key player: Loui Eriksson, the 24-year old is quietly putting together back-to-back 30 goal seasons while playing great defensively.

USA - Where Sweden is making a smooth transition, USA put together an almost completely different roster with very few veterans. But a gritty, quick, and young roster backed by a red-hot goalie can win games they shouldn't be in. Key Player: Bobby Ryan, the glaring weakness of USA is where are the goals going to come from? Where Kane and Kessel rely on speed and a blistering wrister, its Ryan who is the best natural goal scorer.

Finland and Czech are next on the list.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with your breakdown.. I wouldnt be surprised though if the US grabs the Bronze. They're young, but have a lot of talent and Miller can steal a few games. Lundy hasnt been playing to well this year either. Russia is stacked but like you said their back end is kind of lacking. But their forwards are disgusting (Malkin a 3rd line C) and Nabby and Bryz have been playing like top 5 goalies in the NHL.

Canada as far as ive heard will be putting Nash on the wing with Perry and Getzlaf (if he can go) as the 3rd line. 1st line would be Crosby with Staal and Bergeron on the wings and the Sharks line would be the 2nd... Thats 3 disgusting lines

A luger died today during a practice run. This article says seriously hurt, but just heard on the news he died. Terrible.

link

EDIT: ESPN has an updated report. new link

[ Edited by SacRock14 on Feb 12, 2010 at 12:26:10 ]
Nobody cares about the Winter Olympics.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
I don't care about the Winter Olympics.

Fixed
Originally posted by SacRock14:
A luger died today during a practice run. This article says seriously hurt, but just heard on the news he died. Terrible.

link

I called it... You wipe out during a skeleton run, you're fuked. 140km/hr or around 100/mph, with nothing to protect you. It was during his practice run too

[ Edited by Jordache49 on Feb 12, 2010 at 12:31:12 ]
Originally posted by SacRock14:

link

I called it... You wipe out during a skeleton run, you're fuked. 140km/hr or around 100/mph, with nothing to protect you. It was during his practice run too

Yep. I guess a lot of the competitors are worried about the track being too dangerous. And this is pretty good evidence.
Share 49ersWebzone