There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jimmy Johnson AP Athlete of the Year?

• TX9R
  • Veteran
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=4761210

Can someone please explain to me how driving a car takes any athleticism whatsoever? You can call him winner of the year, or something, but NASCAR, whether you think it's a sport or not, is not an athletic competetion.
he is not an athlete
lol athlete
  • BigRon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=4761210

Can someone please explain to me how driving a car takes any athleticism whatsoever? You can call him winner of the year, or something, but NASCAR, whether you think it's a sport or not, is not an athletic competetion.

That's your opinion.

Congrats to Mr. Johnson.
whats so athletic about sitting in a car for 3 hours and turning left
That's like naming an airplane pilot the best athlete. Sure they're great at their craft, operating their respective vehicles, but that does not an athlete make.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
That's like naming an airplane pilot the best athlete. Sure they're great at their craft, operating their respective vehicles, but that does not an athlete make.

Point good.
I had this debate before.

Other examples, are golfers athletes? I mean to be an athlete does it require you to be in excellent physical shape? How many players in baseball look like fat slobs you would see in bars?
  • dman
  • Veteran
Messi
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I had this debate before.

Other examples, are golfers athletes? I mean to be an athlete does it require you to be in excellent physical shape? How many players in baseball look like fat slobs you would see in bars?

Personally, I don't thnk golfers are athletes either, but they are at least mobile. A pitcher even if fat still is using an athletic ability to throw the ball. Sitting on your ass in a car physically is no different than me sitting on my couch athletically. Is it stressfull, take skill, draining, sure, but not the least bit athletic.
Originally posted by dman:
Messi

Originally posted by valrod33:
whats so athletic about sitting in a car for 3 hours and turning left

lol pretty much my thinking
[ Edited by Hopper on Dec 22, 2009 at 9:51 AM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
"Athletes" do not sit on their ass for a living.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
The dude won 4 straight championships which is something that has never happened in NASCAR. The G-forces they have to take are incredible and are a helluva physical toll on their bodies. The temperature in their cars get well over 120 degrees at times temperatures most people wouldn't be able to handle for 10 minutes muchless 4 hours. The cordination they have to have is superior to most athletes cause if they do one lil screw up at 180 mph they're either putting themselves in the wall or wiping out half the field. They are athletes if you like it or not and JimmIE Johnson deserved this honor.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home