There are 632 users in the forums

Jimmy Johnson AP Athlete of the Year?

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
The dude won 4 straight championships which is something that has never happened in NASCAR. The G-forces they have to take are incredible and are a helluva physical toll on their bodies. The temperature in their cars get well over 120 degrees at times temperatures most people wouldn't be able to handle for 10 minutes muchless 4 hours. The cordination they have to have is superior to most athletes cause if they do one lil screw up at 180 mph they're either putting themselves in the wall or wiping out half the field. They are athletes if you like it or not and JimmIE Johnson deserved this honor.

they also pee on themselves, no athlete does that

that just shows how hardcore they are.
  • Riot
  • Veteran
The dude won 4 straight championships which is something that has never happened in NASCAR. The G-forces they have to take are incredible and are a helluva physical toll on their bodies. The temperature in their cars get well over 120 degrees at times temperatures most people wouldn't be able to handle for 10 minutes muchless 4 hours. The cordination they have to have is superior to most athletes cause if they do one lil screw up at 180 mph they're either putting themselves in the wall or wiping out half the field. They are athletes if you like it or not and JimmIE Johnson deserved this honor.

In no way am I advocating that NASCAR drivers are athletes, but long-distance runners do this all the time.
Originally posted by Riot:

In no way am I advocating that NASCAR drivers are athletes, but long-distance runners do this all the time.

yeah but they are athletes, they are not sitting in a car making left turns for 3 hours, with someone in their ear telling them where to drive.

If you want me to consider them athletes take away their spotters, if their so athletic lets see them navigate that crash on their own
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I had this debate before.

Other examples, are golfers athletes? I mean to be an athlete does it require you to be in excellent physical shape? How many players in baseball look like fat slobs you would see in bars?

Personally, I don't thnk golfers are athletes either, but they are at least mobile. A pitcher even if fat still is using an athletic ability to throw the ball. Sitting on your ass in a car physically is no different than me sitting on my couch athletically. Is it stressfull, take skill, draining, sure, but not the least bit athletic.

There's definitely a difference between you sitting on your couch and those guys driving. How many out of shape NASCAR and Formula 1 drivers do you see these days? If it was as simple as you say it is, then we would be seeing a lot more fat people out there winning races.

As for pitchers and baseball players in general i agree they use athletic ability, but then look at fat f**ks like CC Sabathia, Joba Chamberlain and Adam Dunn to name a few, and it's weird to call these guys athletes. probably by definition they are but still weird to think those guys count as athletes.
Originally posted by Hopper:
whats so athletic about sitting in a car for 3 hours and turning left

lol pretty much my thinking

I have just one question for the both of you. When was the last time you drove 3 hours without getting out of the car in 120 degrees, following the car infront of you by a fraction of an inch?
Originally posted by BigRon:

I have just one question for the both of you. When was the last time you drove 3 hours without getting out of the car in 120 degrees, following the car infront of you by a fraction of an inch?

when i drove to Vegas last summer
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame

Originally posted by luv49rs:

and that was a 10 hour drive
He's not an athlete. He's a driver. I can see where people want to put him in the athlete category because what they do is covered on the sport channels, but there is a separation that goes unnoticed.

As far as golfers, they hit a ball with a stick. Sounds like an athlete to me.
120 degrees inside the car? Damn those mofos should crack open their window or a vent or something. How bout some AC?

Originally posted by TX9R:
I had this debate before.

Other examples, are golfers athletes? I mean to be an athlete does it require you to be in excellent physical shape? How many players in baseball look like fat slobs you would see in bars?

Personally, I don't thnk golfers are athletes either, but they are at least mobile. A pitcher even if fat still is using an athletic ability to throw the ball. Sitting on your ass in a car physically is no different than me sitting on my couch athletically. Is it stressfull, take skill, draining, sure, but not the least bit athletic.

There's definitely a difference between you sitting on your couch and those guys driving. How many out of shape NASCAR and Formula 1 drivers do you see these days? If it was as simple as you say it is, then we would be seeing a lot more fat people out there winning races.

As for pitchers and baseball players in general i agree they use athletic ability, but then look at fat f**ks like CC Sabathia, Joba Chamberlain and Adam Dunn to name a few, and it's weird to call these guys athletes. probably by definition they are but still weird to think those guys count as athletes.

You can't have overweight people racing in cars, you'll already be at a disadvantage. lol

-9fA
drivers are not athletes!

This is an incredibly stupid post.

If handling extreme temperatures and stresses while operating dangerous machinery makes someone an athlete, then so are miners and road construction workers and aircraft pilots and astronauts and iron and steel plant workers and the list goes on.
Hell even poker players play their game in uncomfortable and stressful conditions, of course at a far far lower level ... but it's the same principle.

The line has to be drawn at some point.
[ Edited by cestmoi on Dec 24, 2009 at 7:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Riot:

yeah but they are athletes, they are not sitting in a car making left turns for 3 hours, with someone in their ear telling them where to drive.

If you want me to consider them athletes take away their spotters, if their so athletic lets see them navigate that crash on their own

how is a spotter any different from an OC telling a QB what to do?

And you call yourself a Yankee
Share 49ersWebzone