LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 215 users in the forums

Official 2009-2010 Golden State Warriors Thread (please LOCK)

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I really hope we bring back Matt Barnes
Originally posted by crzy:

+1, really legitimizes the depth in the team if we get Matt Barnes back. Also bring back Morrow and try to get Amundsen (lol, no seriously this guy can give us good minutes off the bench imo)

curry/bell
ellis/rain/morrow
barnes/dwright/vlad
lee/udoh/bwright
ab/amundson/gad

Really hated seeing Barnes go...he was such a glue and energy guy. He would fit extremely well with this squad especially with his ability to hit that spot up 3 from Curry.
Originally posted by NorCaL9er:

Really hated seeing Barnes go...he was such a glue and energy guy. He would fit extremely well with this squad especially with his ability to hit that spot up 3 from Curry.

Since we lost Turiaf, we really need someone off the bench who can give us hustle and energy and be a fan favorite.

Plus it gives me a reason to bring back the Matty B 22 jersey.
crzy (or anyone else)...what is the long term goal here? That's the thing that the David Lee trade makes me wonder. It just seems like you guys aren't building toward anything substantive, like there isn't a long term plan. It seems like every move is done without any regard to surrounding context.

-Trading Maggette for Bell/Gadzuric says, "We're trying to free up some cap space so we'll have the flexibility to be more of a player in the trade/free agency market. We're building for the future."

-Drafting Udoh says, "We're trying to shore up our interior defense".

-Trading Randolph/Turiaf/Azubuike for Lee and signing him to a 6 year/$80M says, "Randolph may have potential, but we're trying to win now, and we're comfortable with our interior defense."

-Not matching Morrow (if that happens) says...hell, I don't know what it says.

Your offseason has been this mish-mash of moves that I don't understand, especially in context with one and other. crzy seems really excited about this offseason, and I can barely make sense of it. What are you seeing that I'm not seeing?
I think this entire offseason has been a joke. Trading Randolph was terrible, I wish we had kept Maggette if it meant keeping Randolph.

Thing that sucks the most is that the team has not been sold yet, and all these moves are being made before we get a real GM in here. Need new owners to hire real basketball people in the Front Office, not a puppet of Nelsons.

Also, it sounds like Udoh is going to be out 4-6 months with a wrist injury. I have no doubts that the guy had this injury before he was drafted, and it makes sense because this front office is such a f**king joke that isn't able to use their training staff to see if this guy is injured. Why couldn't you have sold the team already Cohan, we'd still have Randolph and maybe have traded the pick for something.
[ Edited by Method on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:09 AM ]
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
crzy (or anyone else)...what is the long term goal here? That's the thing that the David Lee trade makes me wonder. It just seems like you guys aren't building toward anything substantive, like there isn't a long term plan. It seems like every move is done without any regard to surrounding context.

-Trading Maggette for Bell/Gadzuric says, "We're trying to free up some cap space so we'll have the flexibility to be more of a player in the trade/free agency market. We're building for the future."

-Trading Randolph/Turiaf/Azubuike for Lee and signing him to a 6 year/$80M says, "Randolph may have potential, but we're trying to win now, and we're comfortable with our interior defense."

Your offseason has been this mish-mash of moves that I don't understand, especially in context with one and other. crzy seems really excited about this offseason, and I can barely make sense of it. What are you seeing that I'm not seeing?

With all due respect to the warrior fans, this actually seems pretty consistent with how they've been doing things for quite a while. At the end of all the shuffling each year, they sort of make you look at it and go
Pete, Stoney - There's no rhyme or reason to this offseason for the Dubs.

I think that you're alluding to the concept of a team going in one particular direction and sticking to this script. It really doesn't sound as if this team has a long-term plan (outside of Steph), at least not under this "outgoing" regime. I really don't understand how you "re-tool" your squad when you aren't even close to being a perennial playoff team to begin with.

I'm all for scrapping the team with the exception of Curry, and starting from scratch with a new owner. But now, it appears that we're starting from scratch with Curry... Dave Lee and Dorell Wright?
[ Edited by Jigga on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:41 AM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
LOL

getting packed by a dude half your size must feel like s**t. david lee looks like he was gonna cry lol

Funny thing is alot of posters think signing Lee to this HUGE contract is a good move,
they can join Rowell and Cohan in their expert NBA opinions, LOL.

Oh no, he got blocked, he must suck. No good players in the NBA get their shot blocked ever.

Your NBA takes are horrible most of the time. The fact that you hate this trade makes me really really believe that it will work out well for the Warriors.

Hassan Whiteside?

Why throw a hissy fit? I guess Lee is your new Biedrens, LOL!!!
No, he didn't just get blocked. He got swatted by a 12 year looking PG with no athleticism, and to top it off, he throws a tantrum because it was so embarassing.

As for Whiteside, everyone knows he has talent. What I didn't know was how ghetto and immature he was.
[ Edited by kronik on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:44 AM ]
Originally posted by Jigga:
Pete, Stoney - There's no rhyme or reason to this offseason for the Dubs.

I think that you're alluding to the concept of a team going in one particular direction and sticking to this script. It really doesn't sound as if this team has a long-term plan (outside of Steph), at least not under this "outgoing" regime. I really don't understand how you "re-tool" your squad when you aren't even close to being a perennial playoff team to begin with.

I'm all for scrapping the team with the exception of Curry, and starting from scratch with a new owner. But now, it appears that we're starting from scratch with Curry... Dave Lee and Dorell Wright?

Yeah, man...that's exactly what I think you guys should have done, and that's what I thought you were in the process of doing when you traded Maggette. I think that OKC (and Portland before them) provided the blueprint for how to rebuild.

You already drafted a very good player in Curry, who's gonna be on his rookie contract for the next 3 years. You could have blown it up, held on to Curry, Randolph, Morrow, & Williams, and then in a couple of years you'll have one or two more top picks to go along with those guys, as well as a ton of cap space.

Now, you're gonna be drafting around #10 for the foreseeable future, and have almost no flexibility.

I think moving someone who isnt a team player and cost a lot was meant to give the team flexibility to get a top FA. That is what they did when they got David Lee. There isnt a chance in hell that someone like Melo would come to the W's. This was a way to allow them to get an All Star Player.

I dont think this is hard to understand. I think defense is exactly why they chose Udoh over Monroe. I liked Monroe but do get why Udoh was taken. It was a 5 man draft and they were stuck in the #6 spot.

I question the statement about being comfortable with the defense but the Warriors wanted to put a more competitive team on the court which Lee makes them. Randolph has skills but in my opinion a huge disappointment. The love that he gets in here amazes me to tell you the truth. Maybe he will suddenly get it together in NY but I just dont think it would have happened in GS.

This does surprise me but not sure its official yet. I would like for him to be signed as I think having a great shooter is important on any team.

Sure.. if the Warriors knew for sure that they could have kept Randolph, not traded for Lee and gotten luck in the lottery with the top pick maybe they wouldnt make the trade. Who knows? What I do know is that the Nets proved this year that there is no guarantee of that.

I just think that the Warriors are a better team today than they were before making the trade.

Oh no, he got blocked, he must suck. No good players in the NBA get their shot blocked ever.

Your NBA takes are horrible most of the time. The fact that you hate this trade makes me really really believe that it will work out well for the Warriors.

Hassan Whiteside?

Off topic but Adonal Foyle has signed posters of Dirk and Kobe in his game room. Both are photographs of them getting blocked by Adonal. Wish I had taken a picture.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Sure.. if the Warriors knew for sure that they could have kept Randolph, not traded for Lee and gotten luck in the lottery with the top pick maybe they wouldnt make the trade. Who knows? What I do know is that the Nets proved this year that there is no guarantee of that.

I just think that the Warriors are a better team today than they were before making the trade.

I agree with that. But to what degree are you better, and at what cost?

New Jersey may not have landed a big free agent this summer, but they did get a Top 3 pick and still maintain the flexibility to acquire a top player. I will be very surprised if that flexibility doesn't turn into significant talent at either the trade deadline or during the next free agency period. Despite being a 12 win team last year, I think that their future is brighter than Golden State's.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jul 12, 2010 at 12:39 PM ]

I agree with that. But to what degree are you better, and at what cost?

New Jersey may not have landed a big free agent this summer, but they did get a Top 3 pick and still maintain the flexibility to acquire a top player. I will be very surprised if that flexibility doesn't turn into significant talent at either the trade deadline or during the next free agency period. Despite being a 12 win team last year, I think that their future is brighter than Golden State's.

I think that NJ does have a better future but thats because they have a legit center and more importantly will be moving to Brooklyn in a brand new home and will have NYC to attract free agents. Players will be MUCH more attracted to the Nets than they ever would be to the Golden State Warriors. I just dont believe this team would ever get a TOP difference making FA regardless of how much cap room we have. So.. what does management do? DO you really suggest tanking seasons so that we can get a top 5 pick?
I think that NJ does have a better future but thats because they have a legit center and more importantly will be moving to Brooklyn in a brand new home and will have NYC to attract free agents. Players will be MUCH more attracted to the Nets than they ever would be to the Golden State Warriors. I just dont believe this team would ever get a TOP difference making FA regardless of how much cap room we have. So.. what does management do? DO you really suggest tanking seasons so that we can get a top 5 pick?

I don't think it's tanking as much as it is purging negative assets. Look at Oklahoma City. It's a much less attractive free agent destination than the Bay Area is, and they've built one of the best young teams in the league.

When Sam Presti took over, they were a team that just missed the playoffs. Instead of trying to add to a core of Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis, he did as follows...

-Traded Allen for the #5 pick in the draft, Wally Sczerbiak, & Delonte West.

-Signed-and-traded Rashard Lewis. They went from being capped out to having a ton of cap room and the #2 & #5 picks in the draft.

-They selected Kevin Durant & Jeff Green and signed them to rookie contracts.

-They traded a future conditional 2nd round pick to Phoenix for Kurt Thomas & 2 1st Round picks. They were only able to make this trade because they were under the cap, so they didn't have to give Phoenix any salary in return.

-They then traded Kurt Thomas to the Spurs for two expiring contracts & yet another 1st round pick.

-After an awful year, they select Russell Westbrook with the 4th pick.

-Traded one of those 1st round picks for Thabo Sefolosha.

-After another bad year, they take James Harden with the 3rd pick...but could have selected Tyreke Evans or Stephen Curry.

-Traded the #32 pick to Miami for Daequan Cook & the #18 pick.

The bolded trades cannot legally be made by a team that's over the cap. They picked up a ton of assets for nothing. But more importantly, they got a superstar (Durant), a rising star (Westbrook), one of the most talented young bigs in the game (Ibaka), and the aforementioned draft picks due to "tanking" and having cap space. Hell, they even own one of the CLIPPERS' future 1st Round picks because they could afford to trade their 18th pick away this year due to having an abundance of other assets.

They fully committed to rebuilding, and 3 years later, they're an unattractive free agent destination that's probably the best young team in the league despite that fact.

You guys would have been better off going this route and giving yourself a chance at getting a top pick and purging contracts like Maggette, Biedrins, & Ellis, IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone