LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 151 users in the forums

Michael Jordan: HOF class of 09'

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by dobophile:
What a jerk.

LOL. I was wondering what the reaction to him would be from people for that. I'd guess that overall they'd eat it up simply because he's MJ.

I know this might be hard for people to believe, but MJ is everything I like about sports. He was born with insane God-given abilities and milked every last ounce out of them. I have tremendous respect for people who do that in or out of sports. He was also as competitive as they come, and wanted to rip his opponent's hearts out. That's all I really care about when watching sports. I want to watch world class athletes battle to the proverbial death while getting the most out of their abilities. He was all of that. I don't give a rat's ass if he's a swell guy off of the court, or if he cheats on his wife, or gambles, or any of that. The whole Mike Vick/Terrell Owens/Plaxico Burress soap opera crap is completely uninteresting to me, although it's everywhere.

My irritation about him has always been because of people's reaction to him, and making him out to be something that he wasn't on or off the court. He's on the beneficial side of a double standard.

This is exactly why I hate when people demean Kobe for all that off the court crap. He's a bad ass plain and simple. If you don't have a desire to see the best person at what he does and keep that in perspective I don't know what to say. I don't have kids yet, but I could care less what a player does off the court. Kobe a womanizer, Jordan a womanizer, Jerry Rice a womanizer, Tyson an animal.......who cares??? They were all at the top of what they did.
Originally posted by crzy:
My irritation about him has always been because of people's reaction to him, and making him out to be something that he wasn't on or off the court. He's on the beneficial side of a double standard.

Well then you're not going to like the poll on ESPN's front page...

"Should the NBA retire Jordan's #23?"

He's Jackie Robinson now

Sigh. Lemme guess, the poll is about 70-30 in favor of yes, right?

His legacy is really a perfect storm of talent, media, and marketing. It continually blows my mind.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

He's Jackie Robinson now

His legacy is really a perfect storm of talent, media, and marketing. It continually blows my mind.

He's Jackie Robinson now

And the greatest commercial ever created that promoted an athlete.

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame

He's Jackie Robinson now

And the greatest commercial ever created that promoted an athlete.

Definitely the best commercial ever made.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Awesome job ESPN classic did to show a marathon of Michael Jordan Finals games.
One of the first games they show was Suns/Bulls Game Six of the 1993 NBA finals....
Originally posted by lazy:
One of the first games they show was Suns/Bulls Game Six of the 1993 NBA finals....

I'm wondering how much if/any ESPN copies NBA TV. They've been showing that for a while......same with Magic's 50th bday celebration.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JDeezy:
Originally posted by lazy:

I'm wondering how much if/any ESPN copies NBA TV. They've been showing that for a while......same with Magic's 50th bday celebration.

but I'm thankful that i don't have NBA TV, because my stomach can only handle watching that game every six months..... such a great game/series.

Why couldn't of Paxson missed that wide open three pointer.
Originally posted by dobophile:
What a jerk.

LOL. I was wondering what the reaction to him would be from people for that. I'd guess that overall they'd eat it up simply because he's MJ.

I know this might be hard for people to believe, but MJ is everything I like about sports. He was born with insane God-given abilities and milked every last ounce out of them. I have tremendous respect for people who do that in or out of sports. He was also as competitive as they come, and wanted to rip his opponent's hearts out. That's all I really care about when watching sports. I want to watch world class athletes battle to the proverbial death while getting the most out of their abilities. He was all of that. I don't give a rat's ass if he's a swell guy off of the court, or if he cheats on his wife, or gambles, or any of that. The whole Mike Vick/Terrell Owens/Plaxico Burress soap opera crap is completely uninteresting to me, although it's everywhere.

He was just lucky enough to play before the interwebz. Had he started his career 20 years later, I think he'd be more polarizing.

I don't think the NBA should retire his number, and I think that idea is retarded.

I DO like that he was so often motivated to better himself.

I DON'T like that he brought up every single person that ever wronged him. We get it, you won.

My girlfriend was asking why everyone was laughing at his jokes (also, why I was making her watch it). I just told her it was because he was the richest guy in the room. You always laugh at the richest guy in the room.

I thought Stockton's speech was genuinely funny, and Sloan reminded me of John Kerry (boring!). No wonder he's been successful, he's a god-damn robot!
Originally posted by pantstickle:
He was just lucky enough to play before the interwebz. Had he started his career 20 years later, I think he'd be more polarizing.

I don't think the NBA should retire his number, and I think that idea is retarded.

I DO like that he was so often motivated to better himself.

I DON'T like that he brought up every single person that ever wronged him. We get it, you won.

My girlfriend was asking why everyone was laughing at his jokes (also, why I was making her watch it). I just told her it was because he was the richest guy in the room. You always laugh at the richest guy in the room.

I thought Stockton's speech was genuinely funny, and Sloan reminded me of John Kerry (boring!). No wonder he's been successful, he's a god-damn robot!

I think you hit the nail on the head. We saw enough of Jordan for him to be on the public's consciousness, but he wasn't so over-exposed that every failure was blown up beyond what it should have been. If LeBron gets knocked out of the playoffs by Orlando the same way that Jordan's Bulls were continually spanked by the Pistons, he will get A LOT more s**t because of it.

Why didn't he thank Steve Kerr for being such a good punching bag?
Originally posted by ads_2006:
take on mjs speech

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-jordanhall091209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Copied this from another thread. Frankly, I kind of stunned that a prominent member of the media wrote something bad about MJ.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Man I wish Jordan and Shaq played together. That would have been the most entertaining epic pairing.

What would Jordan say to Shaq when he coasted in the offseason? How would Shaq respond?
Man I wish Jordan and Shaq played together. That would have been the most entertaining epic pairing.

What would Jordan say to Shaq when he coasted in the offseason? How would Shaq respond?

Jordan would have whipped his ass into shape, I think.

See, Kobe's problem was that he was always an insanely competitive guy, but he was only 17 years old, and Shaq was 25, IIRC. Shaq could get away with that because of the age difference. But you put a 34 year old MJ with a 25 year old Shaq, and MJ would have eaten him for breakfast. No way he would have tolerated that s**t.
Share 49ersWebzone