LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Blazers Unveil New Rip City Uniforms

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by teeohh:
wtf is rip city

From Wiki...

"The nickname Rip City is usually used in the context of the city's NBA team, the Portland Trail Blazers.[11] The term was coined by the team's legendary play-by-play announcer Bill Schonely during a game against the Los Angeles Lakers in the Blazers' first season.[12] In a recurring segment on Comcast SportsNet Northwest, Schonely explained that a three-point play by Blazers' player Jim Barnett caused the net on the basket to rip. Schonely exclaimed "Rip City!" at the sight, and a member of his broadcasting team urged him to run with that as a rallying cry for the young team."
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
This Jim Barnett????

I didn't realize this guy even played for the Blazers lol. I just know he played for the Celtics and Warriors.

The guy who says "My word" five times every Warriors telecast?
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
not the feeling the vertical text crzy? thats vintage right there haha.

Is that his team name or a self-descriptive term?

Wolfman's a stoner!

The guy's been to hundreds of Greatful Dead shows.

Bill has always been the first to acknowledge the influential and inspirational role that the Grateful Dead has played in his life since his teenage years. " They've been my life," he says, " since I first saw them in the late 60s, when I was in high school." He numbers the Dead among the great teachers in his life, on a par with mentors like Coach Wooden...

http://www.billwalton.com/dead_honor.html

• Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:
I actually don't like these jerseys. I think the current Blazers' jerseys are better.

Not feeling the vertical text.

same here
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by teeohh:
wtf is rip city

From Wiki...

"The nickname Rip City is usually used in the context of the city's NBA team, the Portland Trail Blazers.[11] The term was coined by the team's legendary play-by-play announcer Bill Schonely during a game against the Los Angeles Lakers in the Blazers' first season.[12] In a recurring segment on Comcast SportsNet Northwest, Schonely explained that a three-point play by Blazers' player Jim Barnett caused the net on the basket to rip. Schonely exclaimed "Rip City!" at the sight, and a member of his broadcasting team urged him to run with that as a rallying cry for the young team."

How unsatisfying that explaination was.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Originally posted by Jigga:
I like them...a lot.
talk about rip s**tty

Throw in some Converse Pro Leathers as well! Championship.

I like em'
Share 49ersWebzone