There are 232 users in the forums

Blue Jays will listen to Halladay offers

MLBTR:

1:57pm: Yahoo's Gordon Edes reports that the Red Sox offered Clay Buchholz, Michael Bowden and Ryan Westmoreland to the Blue Jays for Halladay. In my opinion, that is a very strong offer. Edes says the Jays would like to acquire a shortstop since they are "vigorously shopping" Marco Scutaro. That means the Sox might need to get creative.

If that's the case, the Jays need to jump ALL over this. That's 3 of their top 5 prospects and more than anyone else will offer.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
MLBTR:

1:57pm: Yahoo's Gordon Edes reports that the Red Sox offered Clay Buchholz, Michael Bowden and Ryan Westmoreland to the Blue Jays for Halladay. In my opinion, that is a very strong offer. Edes says the Jays would like to acquire a shortstop since they are "vigorously shopping" Marco Scutaro. That means the Sox might need to get creative.

If that's the case, the Jays need to jump ALL over this. That's 3 of their top 5 prospects and more than anyone else will offer.

I agree. The Jays should do that. However, can you imagine having to face:
Beckett
Halliday
Lester

Wow.. talk about an intimidating 3 pitchers in the playoffs
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
MLBTR:

Beckett
Halliday
Lester

dont forget one of the best postseason pitchers ever John Smotlz
MLBTR:

Beckett
Halliday
Lester

Yeah, that would definitely be ridiculous. But if Buchholz turns out the way people think he is, I would be iffy on this trade. Red Sox want to win now though, and are in a position to do so. For them, I think they should go through with it.
Originally posted by valrod33:
MLBTR:

Beckett
Halliday
Lester

dont forget one of the best postseason pitchers ever John Smotlz

I think Smoltz is about done. He may not even get a look at the 4th game of
a playoff series. If Dice K is healthy he would start ahead of Smoltz as might Penny. Hope I'm wrong though. I would love to see Smoltz have a last hurrah
in a playoff game.
MLBTR:

Beckett
Halliday
Lester

Yeah, that would definitely be ridiculous. But if Buchholz turns out the way people think he is, I would be iffy on this trade. Red Sox want to win now though, and are in a position to do so. For them, I think they should go through with it.

Its a good deal for both teams and makes a lot of sense. Lot to give up but the Sox are built to win right now and should go for it again.
MLBTR:

Beckett
Halliday
Lester

Its a good deal for both teams and makes a lot of sense. Lot to give up but the Sox are built to win right now and should go for it again.

I don't think it's a lot to give up at all personally. We're talking about one of the best pitchers in all of MLB here. It would be doubtful that Buchholz turns out to be at Halladay's level. It's a good package, better than what Phills are offering but it isn't all that amazing. With the ways prospects are valued in today's market I doubt they're going to get anything better much better than that however.

[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Jul 28, 2009 at 13:00:17 ]
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
MLBTR:

Beckett
Halliday
Lester

I don't think it's a lot to give up at all personally. We're talking about one of the best pitchers in all of MLB here. It would be doubtful that Buchholz turns out to be at Halladay's level. It's a good package, better than what Phills are offering but it isn't all that amazing. With the ways prospects are valued in today's market I doubt they're going to get anything better much better than that however.

I think anytime an organization like Boston would give up 3 of its top 5 or 6 prospects ,including 2 very highly regarded pitchers, that is a lot to give up.
MLBTR:

Beckett
Halliday
Lester

I think anytime an organization like Boston would give up 3 of its top 5 or 6 prospects ,including 2 very highly regarded pitchers, that is a lot to give up.

MLBTR:

3:59pm: Dan Roche, an anchor for WBZTV, hears that the Red Sox did not offer Buchholz, Bowden and Westmoreland for Halladay.

Getting very he said, she said at this point. Law also said Westmoreland wouldn't be included.
MLBTR:

Beckett
Halliday
Lester

MLBTR:

3:59pm: Dan Roche, an anchor for WBZTV, hears that the Red Sox did not offer Buchholz, Bowden and Westmoreland for Halladay.

Getting very he said, she said at this point. Law also said Westmoreland wouldn't be included.

That isnt surprising as I do think that was a lot to give up even for Doc.

Share 49ersWebzone