There are 174 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Blue Jays will listen to Halladay offers

Originally posted by King49er:
news outlets up here are saying it's either the Dodgers or Philly

I dont think the Dodgers would include Kemp, Kershaw, Billingsley, or Broxton in any trade for Halliday. So.. the question really is do the Dodgers have enough great prospects in their organization to make a deal. I dont think so. They are a bit thin right now in minor league prospects.

If there was a trade with LA..it would include Ethan Martin, their top rated SP, probably Andrew Lambo, their top rated hitter, and perhaps a hitter like Ethier.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SacRock14:
The ESPN article said they'd likely want either Billingsley or Kershaw from the Dodgers, which I'm guessing might be a problem.

If I'm the Dodgers, I give up Kershaw in a second. That would be a retarded trade on the Jays part.

I could not disagree more. Kershaw is an incredible talent and maybe the top young lefthanded talent in the game. He is pitching lights out right now. There is no chance in hell they will move him. He is their Lincecum. He is also 21 years old and Halliday is 32. Roy also makes big money and has been on the DL a few times over the past years.

If you were the Giants would you trade Lincecum or Cain for Doc? I wouldnt. You have to consider age and the future of the organization when you are trading ELITE young pitching talent. That is why the Dodgers would never include Billingsley , Broxton, or Kershaw for Halliday.

Kershaw is not in Lincecum or Cain's league right now. Could he be a great pitcher? Sure. He's wildly inconsistent though. If I'm the Dodgers and I want to make a World Series run I would trade Kershaw for Halladay straight up in a second. He has a sub 3 ERA and 1.09 whip and he hardly walks anyone in a hitters league. Imagine Halladay not having to pitch to a DH. Kershaw is a great talent, but Halladay would put them over the top this year for sure. There is, however, no way in hell the Jays let him go in a straight trade like that and there is no way the Dodgers would be willing to give up enough to get him.

Halladay's age doesn't bother me at all. s**t, Randy Johnson won four Cy Youngs in a row after finally switching over to the NL. This was between ages 35 and 38.

Well.. I would bet everything I have the Dodgers would never include kershaw for Doc. Wildly inconsistent? LOL. He is 21 fricking years old. Cain is 24. Imagine how great this kid is going to be. Even at his young age he has a 3.27 era and a low whip. Oh.. not to mention over a K per innings. 185 K's in 182 innings. Even more impressive... just 66 hits in 93 innings!

By the way.. Kershaw is MUCH better than Cain was at that age. Look at Cain's progression. Then think about a kid like Kershaw and where he can be. If I was Toronto I would ask for Kershaw and 1 more top prospect and be estatic if the deal happened.

Finally.. Doc would put them over the top for sure??? Umm... no. There are no for sures.

Being in LA as you are, I've seen him pitch about 6 times or so and he is DEFINITELY inconsistent, but that's what comes with youth. With his offense he should have won more than 6 games at this point. I am in no way arguing whether or not he is good, because I absolutely think he is. But, if I'm going to get a Cy Young pitcher who is lights out in the AL in return with a ton of experience, I would pull the trigger in an instant. Of course nothing is guaranteed, but Halladay is pretty much as close to a sure thing you could get in a trade this season. He would absolutely eat up NL hitters.

Maybe he would. However, his contract is up after 2010 and I am not going to trade a potentially stud LH pitcher that is 21 for a guy who can walk after 1 more year. It just isnt smart. The Dodgers have control over his contract for several years. The Dodgers had a lefty once named Sandy Koufax who was much wilder than Kershaw and didnt realy get it for several years. When he did.. well he was the most dominant pitcher ever for a 6 yr run. I am not saying that Kershaw is Sandy Koufax but when you look at his numbers and watch him throw.. well you cannot help but see greatness.

I guess thats where we differ. I would look at the long term for the organization while you would just look at this year and next. I dont give a s**t about the Dodgers.. I'm just saying it will never happen.

There would be a VERY short list of players that I would deal Kershaw for if I was LA. Pujols, Lincecum, Hanley.. maybe 1 or 2 more. Certainly not Halliday.

I would look long term if it were the Giants, but for the Dodgers, who could very well be a World Series team this year (as much as I hate to say it), I would do anything to take that run at this point. Again, I agree with you that Kershaw has the potential to be great, but there are risks I would be willing to take to get a step closer to a World Series win.

I thought this quote from Jim Callis from Baseball America was right on.. and backs up what I was saying about trading a young stud like Kershaw. This happened to be Porcello.. but exactly the reason why you wouldnt make the deal if you were LA:

"One more Halladay question please!!! What about Halladay for Porcello. I think it makes sense for both clubs. Tigers get their proven top of the rotation talent to win now, Blue Jays get a number one for years to come at a reasonable price.

Jim Callis
I can't see the Tigers doing that, though it would be tempting. Porcello is already so good, so young and cost-controlled for another five seasons.
The ESPN article said they'd likely want either Billingsley or Kershaw from the Dodgers, which I'm guessing might be a problem.

If I'm the Dodgers, I give up Kershaw in a second. That would be a retarded trade on the Jays part.

I could not disagree more. Kershaw is an incredible talent and maybe the top young lefthanded talent in the game. He is pitching lights out right now. There is no chance in hell they will move him. He is their Lincecum. He is also 21 years old and Halliday is 32. Roy also makes big money and has been on the DL a few times over the past years.

If you were the Giants would you trade Lincecum or Cain for Doc? I wouldnt. You have to consider age and the future of the organization when you are trading ELITE young pitching talent. That is why the Dodgers would never include Billingsley , Broxton, or Kershaw for Halliday.

Kershaw is not in Lincecum or Cain's league right now. Could he be a great pitcher? Sure. He's wildly inconsistent though. If I'm the Dodgers and I want to make a World Series run I would trade Kershaw for Halladay straight up in a second. He has a sub 3 ERA and 1.09 whip and he hardly walks anyone in a hitters league. Imagine Halladay not having to pitch to a DH. Kershaw is a great talent, but Halladay would put them over the top this year for sure. There is, however, no way in hell the Jays let him go in a straight trade like that and there is no way the Dodgers would be willing to give up enough to get him.

Halladay's age doesn't bother me at all. s**t, Randy Johnson won four Cy Youngs in a row after finally switching over to the NL. This was between ages 35 and 38.

Well.. I would bet everything I have the Dodgers would never include kershaw for Doc. Wildly inconsistent? LOL. He is 21 fricking years old. Cain is 24. Imagine how great this kid is going to be. Even at his young age he has a 3.27 era and a low whip. Oh.. not to mention over a K per innings. 185 K's in 182 innings. Even more impressive... just 66 hits in 93 innings!

By the way.. Kershaw is MUCH better than Cain was at that age. Look at Cain's progression. Then think about a kid like Kershaw and where he can be. If I was Toronto I would ask for Kershaw and 1 more top prospect and be estatic if the deal happened.

Finally.. Doc would put them over the top for sure??? Umm... no. There are no for sures.

Being in LA as you are, I've seen him pitch about 6 times or so and he is DEFINITELY inconsistent, but that's what comes with youth. With his offense he should have won more than 6 games at this point. I am in no way arguing whether or not he is good, because I absolutely think he is. But, if I'm going to get a Cy Young pitcher who is lights out in the AL in return with a ton of experience, I would pull the trigger in an instant. Of course nothing is guaranteed, but Halladay is pretty much as close to a sure thing you could get in a trade this season. He would absolutely eat up NL hitters.

Maybe he would. However, his contract is up after 2010 and I am not going to trade a potentially stud LH pitcher that is 21 for a guy who can walk after 1 more year. It just isnt smart. The Dodgers have control over his contract for several years. The Dodgers had a lefty once named Sandy Koufax who was much wilder than Kershaw and didnt realy get it for several years. When he did.. well he was the most dominant pitcher ever for a 6 yr run. I am not saying that Kershaw is Sandy Koufax but when you look at his numbers and watch him throw.. well you cannot help but see greatness.

I guess thats where we differ. I would look at the long term for the organization while you would just look at this year and next. I dont give a s**t about the Dodgers.. I'm just saying it will never happen.

There would be a VERY short list of players that I would deal Kershaw for if I was LA. Pujols, Lincecum, Hanley.. maybe 1 or 2 more. Certainly not Halliday.

I would look long term if it were the Giants, but for the Dodgers, who could very well be a World Series team this year (as much as I hate to say it), I would do anything to take that run at this point. Again, I agree with you that Kershaw has the potential to be great, but there are risks I would be willing to take to get a step closer to a World Series win.

I thought this quote from Jim Callis from Baseball America was right on.. and backs up what I was saying about trading a young stud like Kershaw. This happened to be Porcello.. but exactly the reason why you wouldnt make the deal if you were LA:

"One more Halladay question please!!! What about Halladay for Porcello. I think it makes sense for both clubs. Tigers get their proven top of the rotation talent to win now, Blue Jays get a number one for years to come at a reasonable price.

Jim Callis
I can't see the Tigers doing that, though it would be tempting. Porcello is already so good, so young and cost-controlled for another five seasons.

Not sure if this trade is possible, but I would welcome it

Jim Callis

Not sure if this trade is possible, but I would welcome it

Sure.. it makes sense. AND.. I think Kershaw has bigger upside than Porcello although both are outstanding young pitchers. I really think that is the direction that the Jays should go for. Try to get an outstanding young pitcher that they control for several years.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Cardinals have a 'real interest' in Jays' Halladay

It appears the St. Louis Cardinals are going to be players in the Roy Halladay(notes) sweepstakes.

Quote:
According to MLBtraderumors.com, when asked about the price tag for Halladay, a club source said: "Give (Jays' GM J.P.) Ricciardi all our minor-league rosters and let him circle any 5 names."

According to the report, a deal with the Cardinals would start with Brett Wallace(notes), and might also include shortstop Pete Kozma, catcher Bryan Anderson, outfielder Daryl Jones and/or right-hander Clay Mortensen. We're just throwing the Birds' top prospects out on the table, but that's what it's going to take. According to Erik Manning of FutureRedbirds.net, via the Post-Dispatch's Bernie Miklasz, the Jays "showed a lot of pre-draft interest" in both Wallace and Kozma.

Source: MLBtraderumors.com

Halladay, Carpenter, Wainwright, Lohse, Piniero

Originally posted by jrg:

It appears the St. Louis Cardinals are going to be players in the Roy Halladay(notes) sweepstakes.

Quote:
According to MLBtraderumors.com, when asked about the price tag for Halladay, a club source said: "Give (Jays' GM J.P.) Ricciardi all our minor-league rosters and let him circle any 5 names."

According to the report, a deal with the Cardinals would start with Brett Wallace(notes), and might also include shortstop Pete Kozma, catcher Bryan Anderson, outfielder Daryl Jones and/or right-hander Clay Mortensen. We're just throwing the Birds' top prospects out on the table, but that's what it's going to take. According to Erik Manning of FutureRedbirds.net, via the Post-Dispatch's Bernie Miklasz, the Jays "showed a lot of pre-draft interest" in both Wallace and Kozma.

If the Cards did offer Wallace, Anderson, Jones, and Mortenson I would think the Jays would be interested. The problem however is only Wallace is considered to be a TOP cant miss prospect. If I was Tornoto I would ask for Rasmus. Seriously doubt that STL would move him however.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Quote:

If the Cards did offer Wallace, Anderson, Jones, and Mortenson I would think the Jays would be interested. The problem however is only Wallace is considered to be a TOP cant miss prospect. If I was Tornoto I would ask for Rasmus. Seriously doubt that STL would move him however.

Wallace AND Rasmus?

Rasmus is untouchable and Wallace is almost at that point.

I think the listed deal is fair. I already would hate losing Wallace, plus Anderson is a STUD and is having issues with us because he is mainly a catcher (Yadier Molina), and can play 1B (Albert Pujols), and 3B (Troy Glaus, Mark DeRosa, Brett Wallace)..so hes having issues making his way up. Plus Jones/Mortensen both have good potential.

Quote:

Wallace AND Rasmus?

Rasmus is untouchable and Wallace is almost at that point.

I think the listed deal is fair. I already would hate losing Wallace, plus Anderson is a STUD and is having issues with us because he is mainly a catcher (Yadier Molina), and can play 1B (Albert Pujols), and 3B (Troy Glaus, Mark DeRosa, Brett Wallace)..so hes having issues making his way up. Plus Jones/Mortensen both have good potential.

No.. not Rasmus and Wallace. Rasmus and prospects. Like I said.. the offer with Wallace and all those others would have to spark interest.
He shut down the Red Sox today, and the trade deadline is looming....
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Angels?

Yes please

I'm sure they'll try to send him to the NL, but I wouldn't be mad if he went to the Angels
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Angels?

Yes please

I'm sure they'll try to send him to the NL, but I wouldn't be mad if he went to the Angels

If he does get traded I would have to believe its going to be Philly or St L. I doubt the Giants would pull the trigger with their pressing hitting needs. LA could be an outside possibility but I think Coletti is going to be very hesitant to deal top prospects and will never part with Kershaw, Billingsley, Broxton, or Kemp which is what Toronto would probably want.
Please Phillies makes this deal happen...we would be the favorites to win this year and next if it happens
Originally posted by Knowledge:
Please Phillies makes this deal happen...we would be the favorites to win this year and next if it happens

I would say Philly or the Dodgers end up with him
  • jrg
  • Veteran

thats the way it's looking