There are 219 users in the forums

Tyson vs. Ali

Tyson vs. Ali

• BobS
  • Veteran
Ali beat George Foreman in his prime, and beat Joe Frazier twice. Tyson was in his prime when Buster Douglas made him look bad, if Buster Douglas makes you look like a fool, what is an Ali going to do to you? Ali was a champion in probably the greatest era for heavyweight fighters, any top ten heavyweight from his era would be
champion now. Tyson dominated a bunch of 2nd rate fighters for 4 years. The guys who beat him would have trouble cracking the top ten in Ali's day. I would guess those
who voted Tyson aren't old enough to have seen Ali fight and to have watched the guys he beat fight other fighters. Short armed lunging Mike Tyson would have never
laid a glove on Ali, and Ali could take a punch a lot better than most people think.
A better question would be Foreman vs Tyson, or Frazier vs Tyson, Ali would have been a bad match up for him.
Originally posted by BobS:
Ali beat George Foreman in his prime, and beat Joe Frazier twice. Tyson was in his prime when Buster Douglas made him look bad, if Buster Douglas makes you look like a fool, what is an Ali going to do to you? Ali was a champion in probably the greatest era for heavyweight fighters, any top ten heavyweight from his era would be
champion now. Tyson dominated a bunch of 2nd rate fighters for 4 years. The guys who beat him would have trouble cracking the top ten in Ali's day. I would guess those
who voted Tyson aren't old enough to have seen Ali fight and to have watched the guys he beat fight other fighters. Short armed lunging Mike Tyson would have never
laid a glove on Ali, and Ali could take a punch a lot better than most people think.
A better question would be Foreman vs Tyson, or Frazier vs Tyson, Ali would have been a bad match up for him.

no..... Most of us can see tyson as two fighters.......as a fighter his career was wasted when he changed trainers.......

Tyson had ever thing he needed to run with any fighter in the history of boxing....period.... and it was wasted.....

He was the total package...very awesome and light on his feet , unbelievable hand speed and one punch knock out power in both hands......

I am not saying Tyson would win against XYZ fighter.....but he could run with ANY fighter in the history of boxing

You forget that Tyson scored a huge knockdown against Buster that should have won him the fight but the ref gave BD so much time to get up.

Also Buster was fighting on emotion as his mother passed away just prior to his fight.

And that wasn't Tyson in his prime---he was already on the downfall of his career and BD pushed him over.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

You forget that Tyson scored a huge knockdown against Buster that should have won him the fight but the ref gave BD so much time to get up.

Also Buster was fighting on emotion as his mother passed away just prior to his fight.

And that wasn't Tyson in his prime---he was already on the downfall of his career and BD pushed him over.

Please explain to me how 23 is not a fighter's prime. Tyson had a lot of power,
and pretty good hand speed, true. But he had alligator arms, was not quick on his
feet and lunged a lot. Tyson had a nice 4 year run beating up on garbage, he dominated a no talent heavyweight division. I would like to see Tyson supporters
post their age, I doubt any off them are much over 30. I am 48 and go back to
the good ole days when Ali-Frazier fights were on ABC for free, I believe anyone
picking Tyson hasn't watched enough fights.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

Please explain to me how 23 is not a fighter's prime. Tyson had a lot of power,
and pretty good hand speed, true. But he had alligator arms, was not quick on his
feet and lunged a lot. Tyson had a nice 4 year run beating up on garbage, he dominated a no talent heavyweight division. I would like to see Tyson supporters
post their age, I doubt any off them are much over 30. I am 48 and go back to
the good ole days when Ali-Frazier fights were on ABC for free, I believe anyone
picking Tyson hasn't watched enough fights.

anyone who watched tyson knows he was not the same fighter at that point.....

Tyson was a product of his training..... by that point he had switched trainers and his career was allready on its way to over......

Every single pro-tyson post in this thread is talking about the YOUNGER tyson....

tyson's problem is that his career was wasted , his problem was not pysical , his problem was mental....

his career was wasted....

Agreed.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Here is a list of people Ali defeated and they were not old the first time he beat them. He was heavyweight champion for a total sum of 10 years.

Sonny Liston
Jimmy Ellis
Floyd Patterson
Ken Norton
George Foreman
Jimmy Young
Earnie Shavers
Joe Frazier

Mike Tyson champion for 3 years defeated these notables

Michael Spinks
Carl Williams
Tony Tucker
Pinklon Thomas
James Smith

The only 2 fighters that Tyson fought on par with Ali's victim list, Evander Hollyfield
and Lennox Lewis beat him badly.
Originally posted by Dshearn:

no..... Most of us can see tyson as two fighters.......as a fighter his career was wasted when he changed trainers.......

Tyson had ever thing he needed to run with any fighter in the history of boxing....period.... and it was wasted.....

He was the total package...very awesome and light on his feet , unbelievable hand speed and one punch knock out power in both hands......

I am not saying Tyson would win against XYZ fighter.....but he could run with ANY fighter in the history of boxing

ok....so who did he beat??? he had a bunch of nobodies pissing themselves to be sure. but so what? just because he dominated a bunch of scrubs, people think he can beat Ali? That's a helluva leap of faith. Ali actually did it, he fought the best and he beat the best, look at his fights and its a who's who of boxing, Tyson's is just a who.

And that two era spiel is less effective considering Ali had two era's two, coming back after 3 years to reclaim his title and his dominance. Something Tyson couldn't do because he's not as good a fighter as Ali.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zUaaek6ZD4

here's there's a link against of the much heralded prime Tyson going against James Tillis, the first man to go the distance with Iron Mike. Watch what happens when Tyson doesn't knockout someone how frustrated and tired he gets. Ali was built for 15 rounds, Tyson was built for 15 minutes and that includes introductions. Hopefully atleast one of Tyson's supporters watches the fight and can explain to me how if a no-name fighter like Tillis could confuse and take Tyson the distance, how they could expect Ali not to be able to do the same.
Here is a list of people Ali defeated and they were not old the first time he beat them. He was heavyweight champion for a total sum of 10 years.

Sonny Liston
Jimmy Ellis
Floyd Patterson
Ken Norton
George Foreman
Jimmy Young
Earnie Shavers
Joe Frazier

Michael Spinks
Carl Williams
Tony Tucker
Pinklon Thomas
James Smith

The only 2 fighters that Tyson fought on par with Ali's victim list, Evander Hollyfield

The fact that anyone actually thinks Tyson could or would beat Ali in both of their primes just cracks me up. Look at the names above and that says it all. As I mentioned earlier, Ali was smarter, faster, a much better boxer, and could take a punch better. Ali would have made Tyson look silly.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Sonny Liston
Jimmy Ellis
Floyd Patterson
Ken Norton
George Foreman
Jimmy Young
Earnie Shavers
Joe Frazier

Michael Spinks
Carl Williams
Tony Tucker
Pinklon Thomas
James Smith

The fact that anyone actually thinks Tyson could or would beat Ali in both of their primes just cracks me up. Look at the names above and that says it all. As I mentioned earlier, Ali was smarter, faster, a much better boxer, and could take a punch better. Ali would have made Tyson look silly.

No one in the history of heavy weight boxing has ever had the raw handspeed power combination of Mike Tyson...... Ali never faced some one with Tysons handspeed

ANY one who have lived threw both eras would have to agree at the very WORST , Tyson had a punchers chance.
the thing with tyson was if he didn't KO you within the first 3 rounds.. he was basically done

i'd have to go w/ ali
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Sonny Liston
Jimmy Ellis
Floyd Patterson
Ken Norton
George Foreman
Jimmy Young
Earnie Shavers
Joe Frazier

Michael Spinks
Carl Williams
Tony Tucker
Pinklon Thomas
James Smith

No one in the history of heavy weight boxing has ever had the raw handspeed power combination of Mike Tyson...... Ali never faced some one with Tysons handspeed

ANY one who have lived threw both eras would have to agree at the very WORST , Tyson had a punchers chance.

I have lived through both eras and saw Ali in his prime and I don't agree at all with you that TYson would have a chance. Tyson would not have been able to intimidate Ali like he did all the chumps he fought and Ali could take a punch like no other even if Tyson was lucky enough to get one in. Ali would win in a TKO after TYson would quit totally frustrated and humiliated.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Hell, I don't think I could even include Mike Tyson in an all time heavyweight top ten.
The guy had a 4 year run beating up on stiffs, then when a few decent heavyweights
appeared he got trashed. Please, one of the 44% that picked Tyson, name me someone decent he beat. He did beat Larry Holmes but I believe Holmes was 55 years old at the time.
Hell, I don't think I could even include Mike Tyson in an all time heavyweight top ten.
The guy had a 4 year run beating up on stiffs, then when a few decent heavyweights
appeared he got trashed. Please, one of the 44% that picked Tyson, name me someone decent he beat. He did beat Larry Holmes but I believe Holmes was 55 years old at the time.

hey bob....

larry holmes is only 58 or 59 years old..... he was in his mid 30s when tyson beat the tar out of him.....

for the record..... For me , Larry holmes was the greatest heavy weight ever....

He also fought in an era that did not have great heavy weights

But i have no doubt that if he was in the mix with Foreman Ali ect that he would have done Fine.

Best Jab boxing has ever seen.

What made Holmes so awsome was never really was an off balanced striker....

You never really seen him LOAD up to take some one out , He was so fluid , never really telegraphed his blows...he just Punched people really really hard.

That is why his jab was so deadly , he just Flicked it out there and could knock people out with a glaceing blow. He was not a fighter that Coiled up and unloaded....he just punched....

forward or backwards....attacker or counter puncher....didnt matter he would knock people out with that jab.
[ Edited by Dshearn on Jul 16, 2009 at 6:48 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone