There are 186 users in the forums

San Antonio Spurs Offseason thread

Originally posted by dobophile:
Bowen's number should be retired. His contributions were more important than AJ's.

Agreed. It would be really awesome if they retired his number.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Quote:
Free-agent swingman Keith Bogans will sign a one-year contract with the San Antonio Spurs, sources confirmed Monday to FanHouse.

Bogans, a solid defensive player, is being looked at as an heir apparent to Bruce Bowen, who retired recently after being San Antonio's perimeter defensive stopper throughout much of the decade. The Spurs had been grooming Ime Udoka for that role, but they are electing not to bring him back as a free agent after he played two seasons with the team.

Bogans, who will sign a guaranteed deal worth the minimum of $1.03 million, last season averaged 6.0 points for Milwaukee. He has a 7.5 average over six seasons.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dino:
Quote:
Free-agent swingman Keith Bogans will sign a one-year contract with the San Antonio Spurs, sources confirmed Monday to FanHouse.

Bogans, a solid defensive player, is being looked at as an heir apparent to Bruce Bowen, who retired recently after being San Antonio's perimeter defensive stopper throughout much of the decade. The Spurs had been grooming Ime Udoka for that role, but they are electing not to bring him back as a free agent after he played two seasons with the team.

Bogans, who will sign a guaranteed deal worth the minimum of $1.03 million, last season averaged 6.0 points for Milwaukee. He has a 7.5 average over six seasons.

You guys will love Bogans.
dobo, are you gonna go to the preseason game next month in Austin? 10/20 at the Frank Erwin Center.
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
dobo, are you gonna go to the preseason game next month in Austin? 10/20 at the Frank Erwin Center.

I didn't even know about it. (I haven't thought much about basketball since UT football and the 49ers began occupying my thoughts a few weeks ago.)

That sounds pretty interesting. I don't know, though. San Antonio is just down the road and my family still has a house there, so I always make it to a couple games every year.

I'm definitely going to look into it. What about you?

Seriously considering it, if only because it's so close. Hell, I work across the street, so I'd have free parking (something I would gladly extend to you, if you're interested).
Prediction: Lockout until January which helps the Spurs older players and they do like they did in 99 with a championship in a short season.

McDyess is done and I was impressed with the way the Spurs played this year but we need a true Center or a PF.

I think Duncan will be on through his contract and he could move to full-time Center as his defense is still solid but we need to acquire another big man. Manu is our X-factor and him losing his abilities is the biggest hit. He's a player that can't be replaced.

The youth on this team can play: Neal, Blaire, Parker, Anderson, Hill, and Splitter.

Our main hope is Splitter's development.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I like this team but it's over. Maybe should have traded Parker when his value was higher. The league is going to a more athletic style and other than Parker there isn't a single player on this team that fits the bill. I think dark days are ahead for the Spurs, it's not often you see a great team go down, then immediately draft a once in a lifetime player the next year. You guys have used up quite a bit of good fortune the last 20 years. Once Pop/ Duncan have retired FAs won't exactly be lining up to go there either. SA had an advantage when they cornered the foreign player market, that cat's out of the bag.
Originally posted by TX9R:
I like this team but it's over. Maybe should have traded Parker when his value was higher. The league is going to a more athletic style and other than Parker there isn't a single player on this team that fits the bill. I think dark days are ahead for the Spurs, it's not often you see a great team go down, then immediately draft a once in a lifetime player the next year. You guys have used up quite a bit of good fortune the last 20 years. Once Pop/ Duncan have retired FAs won't exactly be lining up to go there either. SA had an advantage when they cornered the foreign player market, that cat's out of the bag.

We are still drafting very well and I have a feeling Neal is going to be a very good player but not a highlight type of player. It's a reach but he can be a very good shooting guard who can also put up the medium range.

Our problem is that aside from Splitter, we have no young length.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:

We are still drafting very well and I have a feeling Neal is going to be a very good player but not a highlight type of player. It's a reach but he can be a very good shooting guard who can also put up the medium range.

They drafted some nice role players. Trust me, as a Houston fan I can tell you having a lot of niece peices and no stars gets you pretty much dick in the west. You don't want to end up in limbo like us, just good enough to never have a chance to draft a star.

They drafted some nice role players. Trust me, as a Houston fan I can tell you having a lot of niece peices and no stars gets you pretty much dick in the west. You don't want to end up in limbo like us, just good enough to never have a chance to draft a star.

I know, and what's worse is that neither of us attract star talent unless it is through a trade.

I have a feeling we draft another raw young foreign project and bring him in a couple of years next to Splitter.

• TX9R
  • Veteran

I know, and what's worse is that neither of us attract star talent unless it is through a trade.

I have a feeling we draft another raw young foreign project and bring him in a couple of years next to Splitter.

Until recently Houston had no problem getting star FAs, you could build an all time team with the guys we signed in the last 2 decades. Now for some reason no one wants to come, even though half the NBA has a home in Houston and we have good young talent. I really think the star power of the city plays in to the equation, which neither of our teams will ever have.
I think Duncan will stick around but I think sooner rather than later the Spurs will start scouting players for when he calls it a career and Ginobili is getting up there in age too. Soon they're gonna need to find or at least try to replace these 2 but Duncan will be very difficult to replace.
they need another starting big man. parker and ginobili can handle the back court. duncan just cant handle the load anymore.
The Spurs have always been able to land good players through the draft and solid players from free agency but the free agents mostly come here because they think they have a good shot at a ring. That's not the case anymore unless our GM can really talk a player into coming here like Duncan being a true role player who will rebound and defend.

If we can get a scoring big man, then I think we are right back in it. Duncan will only need to focus on defense and rebounding. It would be awesome if we can bring in a guy like Randolph. That would pretty much put us right back into contention and give us front court depth in length and ability.

Make it happen!!
The Spurs have always been able to land good players through the draft and solid players from free agency but the free agents mostly come here because they think they have a good shot at a ring. That's not the case anymore unless our GM can really talk a player into coming here like Duncan being a true role player who will rebound and defend.

If we can get a scoring big man, then I think we are right back in it. Duncan will only need to focus on defense and rebounding. It would be awesome if we can bring in a guy like Randolph. That would pretty much put us right back into contention and give us front court depth in length and ability.

Make it happen!!

would you do this to make it happen??

The San Antonio Spurs have talked to multiple lottery teams about trading Tony Parker in exchange for a high first-round pick in Thursday's draft, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday.

According to Yahoo, the Spurs have had Parker-related discussions with the Toronto Raptors (No. 5) and Sacramento Kings (No. 7) about their lottery selections.

The Kings, who started Beno Udrih at point guard for a majority of the 2010-11 season, appear determined to add a front-line floor general. Sources told ESPN.com's Chad Ford that the Kings have also contacted the Denver Nuggets about Raymond Felton.

A Parker trade would shift George Hill into the starting roll, but sources also told Yahoo that there are teams at the end of the first round interested in Hill.

Parker told French reporters last month that he thought the Spurs' chances at a title had ended. Parker later backed off those comments, saying the reporters got carried away with his remarks.

Parker was equally candid about San Antonio's diminishing title hopes in training camp last October. He said then that he felt the upcoming season was the last chance for the Spurs to win a fifth championship in the Duncan era, again pointing toward the team's aging core.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6689841
Share 49ersWebzone