LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Away goals in Soccer

Away goals in Soccer

How do you guys feel about this rule? I personally don't like it.

While I think that the home team usually has an advantage in a game, for whatever the reason it may be, I just don't understand why the visiting team gets rewarded if they score whatever amount of goals

Thoughts?
Explain the rule, I don't know what it is.
Originally posted by Apples:

Team A vs Team B have to play 2 games to decide who advances to the next round, so each team plays a game at home.

1st game (Team A @home): 0-0
2nd game (Team B @home): 1-1

even though both games were a tie, Team A advances because they scored on the road
Originally posted by Conejo:

Team A vs Team B have to play 2 games to decide who advances to the next round, so each team plays a game at home.

even though both games were a tie, Team A advances because they scored on the road

Hmmm, nope, I don't like that.
I think they do it like that because people don't like settling games on PK's.

I've just never understood why this rule is in place

In the previous scenario, say in the second game Team B was winning 1-0 for most of the game, they'd be walking a fine line between advancing and elimination (no grey room at all) so if Team A scored a last minute goal, bam, Team A is out

In the previous scenario, say in the second game Team B was winning 1-0 for most of the game, they'd be walking a fine line between advancing and elimination (no grey room at all) so if Team A scored a last minute goal, bam, Team A is out

It seems like this would be very rare, has it ever happened?

It actually happened this exact way this year in Europe's Champions League, semifinal round Barcelona (Team A) and Chelsea (Team B). I mean I was rooting for Barca all the way, but I still disagree with the system.

It actually happened this exact way this year in Europe's Champions League, semifinal round Barcelona (Team A) and Chelsea (Team B). I mean I was rooting for Barca all the way, but I still disagree with the system.

That sucks.

It'll probably get changed now though, not that the flaw has been revealed. Someone has to get screwed over before the rules are changed.

That sucks.

It'll probably get changed now though, not that the flaw has been revealed. Someone has to get screwed over before the rules are changed.

I don't think this was the 1st time something like that has happened though, and I'm not too sure but this rule has been in place for a while now

Soccer should no longer be considered a sport, the flopping is worse than Dukes, and the rule you are talking about is stupid
They should do it like in the Mexican soccer league, the team with the most points during the season advances in case of a tie. Makes sense.
they should keep playing until someone scores, like men, there should never be ties in anything ever, and ban flopping
The rule has been in place for a long time, I doubt it will be changed in the future. The thinking behind the away goal rule is to encourage away teams to score. It would be too easy to put 9/10 men behind the ball and defend all game, killing the spectacle. Grabbing an away goal makes the home team more adventurous, ironically crerating more chances for the away team. There are some occasions, such as Chelsea v Barca, when the away team scores a very late goal and snatches the win but both teams know the rules at kick-off.
  • Brew
  • Veteran
I hate this rule
Share 49ersWebzone