LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 191 users in the forums

World cup qualifiers

Originally posted by teeohh:
someone explain to me how these qualifiers work, is it a tournament?

south america and central/north america are a little bit different

South (CONMEBOL) has 10 countries, all play against each other twice in a 2-year period (so you play every team at home, and then on the road)

At the end of everything, top 4 teams with the most points advance, 5th place team plays an extra qualifying game vs the 4th place of the CONCACAF (central / north), who play a different system.

The CONCACAF has 12 teams, divided into 3 groups. In these groups, all 4 teams play each other twice (6 games total). Top 2 teams from each group advance to the current stage where they're at, the Hexagonal. Here, again, they all play each other twice; at the end, top 3 teams advance, and 4th place team plays the 5th place team from the CONMEBOL

(Note: I'm 99% sure this is how it goes down, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Next round for CONCACAF will be during this week

E.S. AT Honduras
Trinidad & Tobago AT Mexico
(U.S. and Costa Rica have already played their game, they played before this round, last wednesday, I'm not sure why )
it's important to note that in these games, unlike in Champions and other club tournaments, away goals are not a factor.
Originally posted by Conejo:
it's important to note that in these games, unlike in Champions and other club tournaments, away goals are not a factor.

what do you mean

what do you mean

Lets say El Salvador wins today 1-0 against mexico and then Mexico win the next one 3-1, they both get 3 points. Mexico would have outscored E.S. 4-2 but its not a factor, they both get a win. In champions the one with most goals in the 2 games, wins.
wow what an actor

what do you mean

Take the semifinals of the Champions League as an example, Chelsea and Barcelona

They played the 1st game at Barcelona, the 2nd at Chelsea. Both games were a tie, but Barcelona advance to the finals without having to go to penalty kicks. WHY?

@ Barcelona: 0-0
@ Chelsea: 1-1

Scoring away from home is somehow a bigger merit (I do not agree with this rule)

Say, just for the hell of it, they had tied 2-2 @ Barcelona, Chelsea would've advanced
Originally posted by 1251alex:

what do you mean

Lets say El Salvador wins today 1-0 against mexico and then Mexico win the next one 3-1, they both get 3 points. Mexico would have outscored E.S. 4-2 but its not a factor, they both get a win. In champions the one with most goals in the 2 games, wins.

i see i see thank you
dude slipped, that call was bulls**t
What a finely executed PK by Blanco. Mexico 1, El Salvado 1.
oh s**t!

lol. El conejo perez is garbage.
Originally posted by Thizz415:

most definitely. That shot was so called.

really, how's either goal his fault?
Mexico is garbage right now.

really, how's either goal his fault?

he's 10 years past his prime. He has no business playing in the selection and worse even starting.
Share 49ersWebzone