LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Which pitcher would you take right now for the next decade (post 6/09)

Which pitcher would you take right now for the next decade (post 6/09)

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I originally made this thread in June 09. I said it back then that I would take Strasberg and I still stand by that.

Valrod.. your comments are hillarious. Wrong too.

Its one start

Just admit it when you are wrong. Every single expert there is and anyone who has 2 eyes can see that this kid is special.

Its one start. Ill take any pitchers listed before Strasburg until he can prove he can do this for a whole season, well at least for the rest of this season.

I still think he is gonna be a bust.

LOL. I guess the ability to look at a pitchers ability and project into the future is not one of your strengths. Did you even watch him throw? Anyway, you go ahead and be stubborn. You will just have to eat your words later.
I originally made this thread in June 09. I said it back then that I would take Strasberg and I still stand by that.

Its one start

Just admit it when you are wrong. Every single expert there is and anyone who has 2 eyes can see that this kid is special.

Its one start. Ill take any pitchers listed before Strasburg until he can prove he can do this for a whole season, well at least for the rest of this season.

LOL. I guess the ability to look at a pitchers ability and project into the future is not one of your strengths. Did you even watch him throw? Anyway, you go ahead and be stubborn. You will just have to eat your words later.

[ Edited by valrod33 on Jun 9, 2010 at 08:17:06 ]

Its one start

Strasburg does have to do it in more than one start. What i saw last night though was crazy. I can't remember the last time i saw a pitcher with that kind of delivery. Let's see what he can do against a better lineup and start on the road.

Im buying the hype with this kid though, now that it seems like pitchers are dominating baseball now i think Strasburg can dominate.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Pitcher -> CRH

Catcher -> Valrod

/thread.
Jamie Moyer

[ Edited by NinerFanMT on Jun 9, 2010 at 08:27:49 ]
Originally posted by dobophile:
You would think someone who likes him so much and is supposed to be good at judging talent and such would know how to spell his name.

LOL.. Well I knew how to spell his name a year ago. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that Strasburg is special. I never said I was so good at judging talent. I do know the game very well and played it for many years but anyone should be able to see this. The closest pitchers I have seen to Strasburg were Roger Clemens and Doc Gooden in terms of their ability right out of the shoot.

Its one start

What does this prove? Mark Prior was totally dominant but injuries ruined his career. Of couse injuries can happen to any pitcher. When you look at Tommy Hansen and Strasburg I would bet that Hansen will be the one more vulnerable to arm injuries given his throwing motion. Time will tell on the injury front.

Its one start

What does this prove? Mark Prior was totally dominant but injuries ruined his career. Of couse injuries can happen to any pitcher. When you look at Tommy Hansen and Strasburg I would bet that Hansen will be the one more vulnerable to arm injuries given his throwing motion. Time will tell on the injury front.

I think people are over reacting on his 1 start. The kid has awesome stuff but c'mon lets see him pitch a few games in the majors before we start sucking his dick. thats all im saying.

Its one start

I think people are over reacting on his 1 start. The kid has awesome stuff but c'mon lets see him pitch a few games in the majors before we start sucking his dick. thats all im saying.

You suck Tommy Hansen's all the time!

Its one start

You suck Tommy Hansen's all the time!

right now f**k tommy hanson

I would take only Lincecum over him right now due to his already incredible success.

My list right now would go:

Lincecum
Strasburg
Jimenez

Strasburg and Ubaldo both need to do it over an extended period of time before I put them ahead of Lincecum. But they are both extremely good.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
I would take only Lincecum over him right now due to his already incredible success.

My list right now would go:

Lincecum
Strasburg
Jimenez

Strasburg and Ubaldo both need to do it over an extended period of time before I put them ahead of Lincecum. But they are both extremely good.

I can buy that because of the fact that they have proved it yet. Makes sense. I think they both have such sick stuff that unless they get hurt there is absolutley no reason for them not to be dominant.

OK.. My 5 man staff for the next decade... Drum roll please..........

1) Strasburg
2) Jiminez
3) Lincecum
4) Price
5) Wainwright

Just on the bubble:
1) Clayton Kershaw
2) Felix Hernandez
3) Matt Cain
4) Yovani Gallardo
5) Jon Lester
6) Josh Johnson

I would never have dreamed that Greinke wouldnt be on this list but man he is god awful right now.
Well Ubaldo has had the same stuff for the past 3 years, but wasn't this dominant because he had control issues, which is what separates him from Strasburg. Just having sick stuff does not preclude one being dominant.
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol @ Ubaldo only being 2%

Id take Lincecum, then Ubaldo, then Strasburg.

for those of you who havent seen him, Ubaldo Jimenez has the BEST stuff in the majors among SP. he has high 90's velocity with the most dominating movement in the majors. Mike Krukow pointed out "its closer stuff for 9 innings"

im glad Lincecum got 2 CY under his belt now, because Ubaldo and Strasburg might be giving him a run for his money the next decade.

why is everyone so bullish on Greinke? he had one great season last year, and has gone back to his career averages this year. hes actually kind of stunk so far. obviously getting 0 run support or having your pen blow the lead every single start gets old, but i wouldnt even put him top 5 on this list.

I guess you didnt see where this post was from a year ago. Last year Greinke was unreal and would have gotten a lot of support and Jiminez would have gotten none.

I would put Strasberg and Jiminez both over Timmy and even a year ago when he was just signed I said I would take Strasberg. He has once in a generation kind of stuff.

i would still take Lincecum. hes the only one of the 3 thats done it for more than 2.5 months. he has 2 CY's in 2 years. until Strasburg or Ubaldo can be an elite ace for that long, they cant be at the same level.

Mark Prior was Stephen Strasburg in 2002/2003. his mechanics were awful, and he got ridden into the ground, and he flamed out. Strasburg has 1 start in the majors, and Ubaldo has been elite for less than half a season. lets wait and see before we drop Lincecum from his seat as the majors best future SP.
So what is Mark Prior doing nowadays?
Share 49ersWebzone