2009 SF Giants thread

Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by maximill15:
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
I'm still curious to see how the Cy Young race turns out.

Carpenter has Timmy beat in wins and ERA, but Timmy has 2 CGSO and over 100 more strikeouts than Carpenter. He's also done pretty much everything better than Wainright minus the win column also.

Also wanted to post this:

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/article/2009-09-30/lincecum-on-cain-i-just-love-watching-him-pitch

I would bet that Wainwright is now the favorite. I think Timmy comes on 3rd.

I definitely think Carpenter and Timmy have been much more dominant than Wainright and should be the top two.

Timmy has more quality starts than Carpenter and Wainright, but not by much. I think it will be interesting to be honest with you.

These 3 will go 1-2-3 there is no doubt. I just dont see how TImmy is going to win it when the Cards are the division champs, Timmy won just 15 games, and Wainwright has a chance to be the only 20 game winner in the NL. I just would be very very surprised if Linecum won the award.

Wainwrights stats are pretty sick... 19-8 2.58 era 204 Ks
Carpenter has 2 less wins , fewer QS,and 60 less k's but a better era.

Great race this year...

Tim Lincecum: 2.48 ERA, 15-7, 261 K, 1.05 WHIP, .206 BAA
A. Wainwright: 2.58 ERA, 19-8, 204 K, 1.21 WHIP, .244 BAA
C. Carpenter: 2.24 ERA, 17-4, 144 K, 1.01 WHIP, .226 BAA

You could make a case for any of these guys.

I hope Timmy's got enough cred to win it this year, but I think he finishes 2nd behind Carpenter.

Just like last yr wins dont mean everything. STL has a potent offense and that certainly help both stl pitchers! Carpenter missed 50 innings and that will certainly hurt! TImmy is better than Wainwright in everything but wins. Has more quality starts, k's better BA! Was a majpr reason why we were even in the playoff discussion and our over achievement. But because he won it last yr, does that hurt his chances this yr??

Timmy was still the better pitcher this year. His stats are actually better than last year when he won it. The only thing keeping him from the trophy is the W column, but as previously stated, the Cards are division champs and it is likely one of them wins it. If going purely on best pitcher regardless of team and situation, Timmy.

isn't that what the cy young is all about?

Carpenter has Timmy beat in wins and ERA, but Timmy has 2 CGSO and over 100 more strikeouts than Carpenter. He's also done pretty much everything better than Wainright minus the win column also.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/article/2009-09-30/lincecum-on-cain-i-just-love-watching-him-pitch

I definitely think Carpenter and Timmy have been much more dominant than Wainright and should be the top two.

Timmy has more quality starts than Carpenter and Wainright, but not by much. I think it will be interesting to be honest with you.

These 3 will go 1-2-3 there is no doubt. I just dont see how TImmy is going to win it when the Cards are the division champs, Timmy won just 15 games, and Wainwright has a chance to be the only 20 game winner in the NL. I just would be very very surprised if Linecum won the award.

Great race this year...

I hope Timmy's got enough cred to win it this year, but I think he finishes 2nd behind Carpenter.

Just like last yr wins dont mean everything. STL has a potent offense and that certainly help both stl pitchers! Carpenter missed 50 innings and that will certainly hurt! TImmy is better than Wainwright in everything but wins. Has more quality starts, k's better BA! Was a majpr reason why we were even in the playoff discussion and our over achievement. But because he won it last yr, does that hurt his chances this yr??

Timmy was still the better pitcher this year. His stats are actually better than last year when he won it. The only thing keeping him from the trophy is the W column, but as previously stated, the Cards are division champs and it is likely one of them wins it. If going purely on best pitcher regardless of team and situation, Timmy.

No. Not at all. Voters take into account wins, playoff situation how valuable to his team etc. Its not just who had the best stuff that year.

Great race this year...

No. Not at all. Voters take into account wins, playoff situation how valuable to his team etc. Its not just who had the best stuff that year.

well webb had more wins last yr, so maybe they aren't as important as some think!

Great race this year...

well webb had more wins last yr, so maybe they aren't as important as some think!

You make it sound like I'm rooting against timmy. I hope he wins. I just know that in the past the guy with the best stuff doesn't always win.
I would love to see Timmy win the CY award. I would also bet a fairly large amount of money that he wont. I think its between Wainwright and Carpenter and Timmy will finish 3rd.

Anyone who thinks that wins are not critical to who wins the award isnt paying attention. In the history of the Cy Young award winner there has never been a starting pitcher that has won 15 games or less (in a non-strike year). Timmy would have to be the first in 53 years. If his numbers were MUCH better than Wainwright and Carpenter ,AND he pitched for a team that won the division, then maybe he would be the first. However, that isnt the case.
Regardless of the team's final record this season...

I would love to see Timmy win the CY award. I would also bet a fairly large amount of money that he wont. I think its between Wainwright and Carpenter and Timmy will finish 3rd.

Anyone who thinks that wins are not critical to who wins the award isnt paying attention. In the history of the Cy Young award winner there has never been a starting pitcher that has won 15 games or less (in a non-strike year). Timmy would have to be the first in 53 years. If his numbers were MUCH better than Wainwright and Carpenter ,AND he pitched for a team that won the division, then maybe he would be the first. However, that isnt the case.

And just a FYI, because I was wondering...(with Carpenter at 144 K's)

There have been 11 starting pitchers with under 150 K's who have won Cy Young, most recently in the NL Doug Drabek in 1990. The useless stat of the night.
Here you go John, Mark Purdy agrees with you.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_13467384?source=email
can we WIN a game in SD please? thanks k bye
I hate living in the past. These guys were my faves.

Here you go John, Mark Purdy agrees with you.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_13467384?source=email

It really is too bad that the Giants are in this spot where they even have to consider trading Cain. I have mixed emotions because I know how important starting pitching is. However, it is just so painful to sit and watch an enemic offense night in and night out. If Cain is the chip they use it better be for a Fielder type bat.

It would be great to trade Brian Wilson for a top bat but I just dont see that. He has been good but certainly is not a top elite closer that someone is going to pay heavily for.

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Oct 2, 2009 at 10:57:13 ]
i know im gonna take some flak, but why not trade MadBum?

i mean, we know cain can pitch at a very high level and be a cy young caliber pitcher given run support.

why send away a proven commodity if you can get a fielder type bat for MadBum?

keep the rotation in tact, Lincecum, Zito, Cain, Sanchez and bring back Penny.

it makes more sense for this next season if you can make it happen. who knows how long its gonna take bumgarner to become a good let alone great pitcher. kid is only 20.

our pitching is very good NOW and we have a young team that wins at home and just needs that big bat to put them over the top.

why not?
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

i mean, we know cain can pitch at a very high level and be a cy young caliber pitcher given run support.

it makes more sense for this next season if you can make it happen. who knows how long its gonna take bumgarner to become a good let alone great pitcher. kid is only 20.

our pitching is very good NOW and we have a young team that wins at home and just needs that big bat to put them over the top.

why not?

I dont think MadBum will get us Fielder straight up.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

why not?

I dont think MadBum will get us Fielder straight up.

Too bad we couldn't trade MadBum + Villalona.

God that really depletes our farm system.
Share 49ersWebzone