There are 186 users in the forums

2009 SF Giants thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Here you go John, Mark Purdy agrees with you.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_13467384?source=email

It really is too bad that the Giants are in this spot where they even have to consider trading Cain. I have mixed emotions because I know how important starting pitching is. However, it is just so painful to sit and watch an enemic offense night in and night out. If Cain is the chip they use it better be for a Fielder type bat.

It would be great to trade Brian Wilson for a top bat but I just dont see that. He has been good but certainly is not a top elite closer that someone is going to pay heavily for.

what about a sanchez+wilson deal? (it was hard to type that)
Originally posted by maximill15:

It really is too bad that the Giants are in this spot where they even have to consider trading Cain. I have mixed emotions because I know how important starting pitching is. However, it is just so painful to sit and watch an enemic offense night in and night out. If Cain is the chip they use it better be for a Fielder type bat.

It would be great to trade Brian Wilson for a top bat but I just dont see that. He has been good but certainly is not a top elite closer that someone is going to pay heavily for.

sanchez+wilson+renteria for Fielder and Hardy.

i know hardy had a bad year but his potential is much greater than rent-a-wreck
I still think Timmy has a chance clearly after looking at these stats he has been the more dominant pitcher

ERA
Carpenter - 2.24
Lincecum - 2.48
Wainwright - 2.58

Strikeouts
Lincecum - 261
Wainwright - 204
Carpenter - 144

Wins
Wainwright - 19
Carpenter - 17
Lincecum - 15

Innings Pitched
Wainwright - 227
Lincecum - 225.1
Carpenter - 192.2

Hits Allowed
Carpenter - 156 (33 less IP)
Lincecum - 168
Wainwright - 211

Quality Starts
Lincecum - 26
Wainwright - 24
Carpenter - 22

WHIP
Carpenter - 1.01
Lincecum - 1.05
Wainwright - 1.21

Strikeouts per 9 innings
Lincecum - 10.42
Wainwright - 8.09
Carpenter - 6.73

Strikeouts to Walk ratio
Lincecum - 3.84
Carpenter - 3.79
Wainwright - 3.19

Opponent Batting Average
Lincecum - .206
Carpenter - .226
Wainwright - .244

Opponent On-Base-Percentage
Lincecum - .271
Carpenter - .272
Wainwright - .297

Opponent Slugging
Lincecum - .290
Carpenter - .310
Wainwright - .350

Home Runs allowed
Carpenter - 7 (33 less IP)
Lincecum - 10
Wainwright - 17

Take your pick

If Timmy had the Cardinals offense I'd guarantee you he'd have 20 wins

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Oct 2, 2009 at 15:20:46 ]
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Originally posted by maximill15:

sanchez+wilson+renteria for Fielder and Hardy.

i know hardy had a bad year but his potential is much greater than rent-a-wreck

LOL no way in hell that happens. sanchez has great stuff but his inconsistency alone wont get us a top flight bat. same as wilson no comment on rentawreck. brewers want a sp and possibly pen help and cain will be our best chip. i wouldnt mind hardy who had a down yr but for the right price and according to sabean there is no such thing as the right price
Interesting stuff from A Baggs: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extrabaggs/2009/10/01/postgame-notes-posey-in-lederhosen-a-bad-baseball-management-team-on-display-bochy-on-molinas-future-handicapping-the-nl-cy-one-final-aurilia-memory/
Rookie hazing day.

It featured recycled costumes from last season, and at least one repeat victim. Ryan Rohlinger was told they determined the list based on service time, so even though he was the St. Pauli Girl last year, he had to squeeze himself into Robin tights this time around.

Unlike last year, when Conor Gillaspie wasn’t all that into being Scooby Doo, all the players seemed to have a blast with it this time — even Buster Posey, who inherited Rohlinger’s German skirt and padded falsies.

Here’s the full list of participants and costumes, and yes, they had to wear them on the bus and flight to San Diego:

Buster Posey = St. Pauli Girl
Madison Bumgarner = Giant ketchup bottle
Dan Runzler = Giant mustard bottle
Jesus Guzman = Figure skater (Dancing With the Stars?) sequined outfit
Merkin Valdez (voluntary, I guess) = French maid
Ryan Rohlinger = Robin
Eli Whiteside = Superman
Waldis Joaquin = Scooby Doo

I don’t have a Cy Young vote and I haven’t done the usual amount of research that I’d conduct. But after a cursory look at the stats, I’d probably fill out this ballot:

1. Chris Carpenter
2. Tim Lincecum
3. Adam Wainwright.

It’s close, though. I do expect Lincecum will be on most ballots and yes, he’ll get some first-place votes. If the Cardinals’ top two pitchers split enough votes, you might even see Lincecum win the award again.

But last year, my gut told me Lincecum would win. This year, I’m belching Carpenter.

Check the notebook for a comparison of Lincecum’s stats from his Cy Young season and what he’s done this year. (The main point: most all his numbers are better in 2009.)
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Bye Bye Richy. Thanks for the memories.

Great to see Rich get the ovation he deserved. Can't let this season take away from the fact that he is a GREAT Giant.

No matter what, I will wear my Rich Aurilia jersey proudly to every future Giants game I go to.
Speaking of Jesus Guzman.

What do we do with this guy? - He is a proven hitter, but has failed to demonstrate a sufficient degree of aptitude with the defensive aspects of the game.

Love to see him at first base, should he reverse his fortunes with the glove,

Pablo and Jesus at the corners. Sanchez at 2nd - Uribe at SS. Ole!
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
I still think Timmy has a chance clearly after looking at these stats he has been the more dominant pitcher

ERA
Carpenter - 2.24
Lincecum - 2.48
Wainwright - 2.58

Strikeouts
Lincecum - 261
Wainwright - 204
Carpenter - 144

Wins
Wainwright - 19
Carpenter - 17
Lincecum - 15

Innings Pitched
Wainwright - 227
Lincecum - 225.1
Carpenter - 192.2

Hits Allowed
Lincecum - 168
Wainwright - 211

Quality Starts
Lincecum - 26
Wainwright - 24
Carpenter - 22

WHIP
Carpenter - 1.01
Lincecum - 1.05
Wainwright - 1.21

Strikeouts per 9 innings
Lincecum - 10.42
Wainwright - 8.09
Carpenter - 6.73

Strikeouts to Walk ratio
Lincecum - 3.84
Carpenter - 3.79
Wainwright - 3.19

Opponent Batting Average
Lincecum - .206
Carpenter - .226
Wainwright - .244

Lincecum - .271
Carpenter - .272
Wainwright - .297

Opponent Slugging
Lincecum - .290
Carpenter - .310
Wainwright - .350

Home Runs allowed
Lincecum - 10
Wainwright - 17

Take your pick

I dont think you need to try and convince anyone in here that Timmy is the best pitcher in the NL or worthy of winning a 2nd CY award. He is. I just dont think he will win it because of the lack of wins and the fact that the Cards pitchers lead their team to the playoffs.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:

What do we do with this guy? - He is a proven hitter, but has failed to demonstrate a sufficient degree of aptitude with the defensive aspects of the game.

Wow.. I wouldnt use "ole" for that. I would use "yuck". Guzman is not a proven hitter at all in the majors. There are plenty of examples of guys who can hit in AAA and fail in the majors. Uribe had a nice 2nd half but I am not doing cartwheels about him as a starting SS for a full year.

The Giants need a huge upgrade at either 3b or 1b and Guzman is not that person.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:

Wow.. I wouldnt use "ole" for that. I would use "yuck". Guzman is not a proven hitter at all in the majors. There are plenty of examples of guys who can hit in AAA and fail in the majors. Uribe had a nice 2nd half but I am not doing cartwheels about him as a starting SS for a full year.

The Giants need a huge upgrade at either 3b or 1b and Guzman is not that person.

guzman needs to go to an american league club. He is only useful as a DH or pinch hitter. He has no or little defensive skills.

Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

ERA
Carpenter - 2.24
Lincecum - 2.48
Wainwright - 2.58

Strikeouts
Lincecum - 261
Wainwright - 204
Carpenter - 144

Wins
Wainwright - 19
Carpenter - 17
Lincecum - 15

Innings Pitched
Wainwright - 227
Lincecum - 225.1
Carpenter - 192.2

Hits Allowed
Lincecum - 168
Wainwright - 211

Quality Starts
Lincecum - 26
Wainwright - 24
Carpenter - 22

WHIP
Carpenter - 1.01
Lincecum - 1.05
Wainwright - 1.21

Strikeouts per 9 innings
Lincecum - 10.42
Wainwright - 8.09
Carpenter - 6.73

Strikeouts to Walk ratio
Lincecum - 3.84
Carpenter - 3.79
Wainwright - 3.19

Opponent Batting Average
Lincecum - .206
Carpenter - .226
Wainwright - .244

Lincecum - .271
Carpenter - .272
Wainwright - .297

Opponent Slugging
Lincecum - .290
Carpenter - .310
Wainwright - .350

Home Runs allowed
Lincecum - 10
Wainwright - 17

Take your pick

I dont think you need to try and convince anyone in here that Timmy is the best pitcher in the NL or worthy of winning a 2nd CY award. He is. I just dont think he will win it because of the lack of wins and the fact that the Cards pitchers lead their team to the playoffs.

Wins are overrated because so many things go into them just like ERA. The quality starts are a great indicator of how well a pitchers has pitched disregarding who won the game. The cards pitchers are doing a great job at helping their team but they are getting the run support to get the wins. If they had no run support like the giants, they would not be in the same place.

That being said, Timmy should get the CY award for being the best pitcher in the NL.
I cant believe we are gonna extend bochy and sabean

wish we would have lost more games to get those two fired.

Wow, so who's the San Diego Padres announcer that sounds like Kermit the Frog? it's kind of distracting me.

Anyways, it's been a fun season to watch Giants baseball. While the offense was very very bad for the most part, the season was a fun one. I really enjoyed the pitching, the close games and the chemistry of this team. I haven't seen chemistry like this team in a long time it seems, especially on the Giants.

Would love for Timmy to get another Cy Young but him only having 15 wins will probably hurt a lot in the voters eyes. It'll probably go to Carpenter.

It was nice to see Pablo, Velez, Sanchez and Cain develop this year and can't wait until next season. The future looks bright and i really hope we try our hardest to get a quality bat or two to join this team and help out our awesome pitching staff.

Much love to Molina, Winn and especially Richie for their contributions to this franchise and it was a pleasure to watch them play for our team. Richie will always be a great Giant in my eyes.

Nice to talk to you all this season and looking forward to seeing where this team is headed. Hopefully a great offseason will bring us back to the playoffs.

Go Giants!!
I doubt Molina comes back. I was reading the newspaper during the week and Molina agent hopes that the Giants give Molina the contract he deserves which to me is more than a 1 year deal with more money than we are willing to give him but who knows.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
I doubt Molina comes back. I was reading the newspaper during the week and Molina agent hopes that the Giants give Molina the contract he deserves which to me is more than a 1 year deal with more money than we are willing to give him but who knows.

Someone should tell him to not swing at every single pitch. only Pablo got the skills to do that.
Share 49ersWebzone