LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

2009 SF Giants thread

Any chance Posey makes the big-league roster out of spring training???
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean:

Extremely doubtful. The Giants are committed to him being their catcher of the future, and I believe that he only has two years of catching experience in college so he needs some seasoning at the professional level. He will probably start the season in San Jose, and barring something out of the ordinary, shoud see a September call up to the big club.

Molina's contract expires this year, so I believe that the Giants are looking at 2010 for Posey to be the man.
Originally posted by dcsham:

Extremely doubtful. The Giants are committed to him being their catcher of the future, and I believe that he only has two years of catching experience in college so he needs some seasoning at the professional level. He will probably start the season in San Jose, and barring something out of the ordinary, shoud see a September call up to the big club.

Molina's contract expires this year, so I believe that the Giants are looking at 2010 for Posey to be the man.

I agree 100%. Unless Molina gets hurt it would be a bad move. The Giants need Posey to be playing everyday and getting as many ABs as possible so that he is ready next year to take over full time.
Originally posted by ninerfaninLA:

I agree 100%. Unless Molina gets hurt it would be a bad move. The Giants need Posey to be playing everyday and getting as many ABs as possible so that he is ready next year to take over full time.

Good points by both....thanks!
Originally posted by 49ersAREMYLIFE:
G-men highlights vs. Dodgers today:

Homeruns by aurillia, sandoval, and guzman

Posey: 2 for 2 with a rbi and a run
Sandoval: 3 for 3 with a rbi and 2 runs
Guzman: 1 for 2 with 2 rbis and a run
Ishikawa 2 for 4 with a rbi and a run
Burriss: 2 for 5 with a rbi and a run and a sb

oh ya, and zito let in 3 in 2 2/3

i love kung fu panda!

Posey will be a September call-up just to get his feet wet. I say if the Giants are in a divisional race his bat could be used off the bench but if we are out of it he can gain some experience. Either way it is a win-win. You don't have to worry about rushing a player like Posey. Dude is smart and has tremendous upside. He still needs work catching but with his skill we will see him in the Bigs real soon
Originally posted by bayarealuv:

i love kung fu panda!

I think Bruce Jenkins had a good term for the Giants lineup in his column today...he noted that it was "interesting, but still basically punchless", noting that Molina would be a good #6 or #7 hitter in a lineup that was properly constructed.

Its going to be interesting seeing if we can effectively mount any challenge this year in the NL West, and I'm still doubtful. Too much reliance on the pitching staff, that no matter how good, will have its off days. There's just no offense there to take up the slack.

Look for some nasty fan reaction at AT&T if we tank...especially against the Dodgers when Manny comes in and cranks a couple towards the big mitt.

i love kung fu panda!

I think Bruce Jenkins had a good term for the Giants lineup in his column today...he noted that it was "interesting, but still basically punchless", noting that Molina would be a good #6 or #7 hitter in a lineup that was properly constructed.

Its going to be interesting seeing if we can effectively mount any challenge this year in the NL West, and I'm still doubtful. Too much reliance on the pitching staff, that no matter how good, will have its off days. There's just no offense there to take up the slack.

Look for some nasty fan reaction at AT&T if we tank...especially against the Dodgers when Manny comes in and cranks a couple towards the big mitt.

I just cannot see the Giants being competitive this year with this lineup. They were horrible last year with Timmy having an incredible season AND there has been no punch added to the lineup. (I'm sorry.. I dont think Renteria will be that great)

The Dodgers have a very solid lineup with a decent pitching staff. To me, they are the favorites. Arizona has a good lineup with the best staff in the league. Yes.. better than the Giants.

I still believe the Giants are 2 years away from being the top team in the West. 2011 will be the year!

i love kung fu panda!

I just cannot see the Giants being competitive this year with this lineup. They were horrible last year with Timmy having an incredible season AND there has been no punch added to the lineup. (I'm sorry.. I dont think Renteria will be that great)

The Dodgers have a very solid lineup with a decent pitching staff. To me, they are the favorites. Arizona has a good lineup with the best staff in the league. Yes.. better than the Giants.

I still believe the Giants are 2 years away from being the top team in the West. 2011 will be the year!

They added Sandoval. That is significant. He wasnt around for nearly a full season last year and it will add to our wins. Also the pen is improved as is the starting rotation with Johnson. Not trying to say we'll win the division but we are going to be much better.

i love kung fu panda!

The Dodgers lineup is good, but far from reliable, besides Manny. Last year they didn't have a single person with 100 RBI's (even though Manny was well on his way). I think he's the biggest question. If he's good Manny, they'll play well and if he's bad Manny they are going to stink. Their staff is incredibly unproven behind Billingsley. Could Kershaw and Kuroda be good? Sure. Could they be horrible? It's a possibility.

I think Arizona should take the division, and if they don't that would be a shame for them. This may be the homer in me but I don't think their staff is better than the Giants. Webb and Haren are like Lincecum and Cain (with run support). Sanchez is good but unproven. I'd say he's better than Davis. I'd say Garland and Johnson are comparable. Scherzer is unproven, and Zito is....well, Zito. Pitching-wise I think the Giants match well with them, but their hitters are in another league.

I agree though, the Giants should be very competitive in a couple of years if Posey and Villalona are ready to play full time and Pablito has evolved into a good 3B. However, I don't think the Giants are totally out of it this season, remember they are in the weakest division in baseball

Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

i love kung fu panda!

The Dodgers lineup is good, but far from reliable, besides Manny. Last year they didn't have a single person with 100 RBI's (even though Manny was well on his way). I think he's the biggest question. If he's good Manny, they'll play well and if he's bad Manny they are going to stink. Their staff is incredibly unproven behind Billingsley. Could Kershaw and Kuroda be good? Sure. Could they be horrible? It's a possibility.

I think Arizona should take the division, and if they don't that would be a shame for them. This may be the homer in me but I don't think their staff is better than the Giants. Webb and Haren are like Lincecum and Cain (with run support). Sanchez is good but unproven. I'd say he's better than Davis. I'd say Garland and Johnson are comparable. Scherzer is unproven, and Zito is....well, Zito. Pitching-wise I think the Giants match well with them, but their hitters are in another league.

I agree though, the Giants should be very competitive in a couple of years if Posey and Villalona are ready to play full time and Pablito has evolved into a good 3B. However, I don't think the Giants are totally out of it this season, remember they are in the weakest division in baseball

Again, no Dodger fan here but I think you underestimate them. Furcal is way better than Renteria, and they have 3 excellent young hitters in Kemp, Loney, and Martin. They also have Casey Blake who is a proven clutch hitter. You also do not include Randy Wolf who had a very good year with Houston in a very tough park to pitch in for a left handed pitcher. Billingsley, Kuroda, Kershaw, Wolf is not bad.

As for Arizona.. yes I do think you are being a bit of a homer to sugges the Giants staff is the equal of theirs. Nothing wrong with that.. I like the passion for our team. Cain is not as good as Danny Haren at this point. Maybe this year he will be but Haren is an all star. The do not have anyone as bad as Zito.

I think in a couple of years when Manny is done with LA and the Giants kids come up it will be our division!!!
I don't know about you -- but I'm really getting psyched about the season. I don't think the Giants will win the West. Let's get that out of the way first. The Dodgers are still the clear favorite -- because they have the Man-Ram. I'm not sold on their piitching -- but I still think they'll win out.

That said -- I think this young Giants squad will be in contention from the opening round. This is a young and exciting team and we're building through the farm system again. The kids are at least a year away from reaching their full potential -- but they're really going to be fun to watch. You'll see a bunch of potential in a lot of games -- and you'll also see a number of youthful mistakes. It will almost be a carbon copy of last year's season -- with fewer mistakes.

Make no doubt about it -- we have the starting pitching NOW to contend. We have youth. We have experience. We've got a closer.

So, my prediction is this team will contend. We may actually find ourselves in first during some point in the season. This situation very much reminds me of when the Giants rebuilt through the farm system in the mid-80's to produce stars like Robby Thompson, Jose Uribe, Will Clark, etc. It took a few years for the kids to get it going, but once they did, we had a team that was in contention for a good five year stretch. And that was fun baseball to watch or listen too.

I still remember running the board at KYNO Radio in Fresno during that era, and always got the chills whenever I heard that "Humm Baby" theme music come over from the KNBR feed. That was my cue to "cue out the oldies music on KYNO" and "cue into live Giants baseball..."

Can you imagine getting paid for listening to Giants games????? Cutting up the highlights??? Using highlights to promote upcoming games??? That was a sweet assignment....

GIANTS RELEASED ROBERTS!!! THERE IS A GOD

best news of the season thus far. I hate to see this guy take away at-bats from the youngsters that need playing time.
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:

best news of the season thus far. I hate to see this guy take away at-bats from the youngsters that need playing time.

A clear sign that they're committed to rebuilding with youth. Good sign.
Share 49ersWebzone