There are 188 users in the forums

2008-09 San Antonio Spurs Thread

Ah yes, another odd year. Don't worry, in time, this thread will be renamed the "**OFFICIAL** SAN ANTONIO SPURS THREAD"

Well, Duncan held the team together while Parker and Ginobli were out and now they are back and scoring 110+ points. Aside from the Duncan and Ginobli, they are fairly young and you gotta love the rookie, George Hill. At 6'2" solid guard with very long arms who is playing very solid defense: Another nice pick by the Spurs.

However, it really isn't the odd year motivation that has gotten the Spurs the championships. The reason why they have won Championships in odd years is because those are the years when they have had an above average Center who can consistently hit the 5-10 footer and play solid defense. Unfortunately, they don't really have that this year and that is one key reason why it probably won't go there way.

However, you never know what could happen because you don't count a defensive team out.

I will be back from time to time.

[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 15, 2008 at 09:13:32 ]
What happened in '01? I can't seem to remember. Can you remind me?
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Kobe averaged 33 points per game in a sweep.

After the series Phil said that was "the best any player of mine has ever played"

Robinson was really on his last leg this year as they would have won it the year before but Duncan was out with a knee injury. And of course, the Lakers got the ref bailouts during that 3-peat.
4 in a row!!

Self high five!

[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 11, 2008 at 10:11:18 ]
Getting strong now!!!

Quote:
Once-slumping San Antonio has gone 5-2 with Parker, Ginobili and Tim Duncan together and healthy.

Ginobili came back Nov. 24 at Memphis, and is coming off his best game of the season. He scored 27 points in a return to his sixth-man role to help San Antonio beat Atlanta 95-89 for its fourth straight victory.

Ginobili, the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year last season, scored 14 points in the fourth quarter.

"He loves games like that. He loves to play in situations like that," Duncan said. "It's just great being able to give the ball to a guy like that and let him create moves and create shots."

Ginobili started for the Spurs in the previous four games, including a demanding double-overtime victory Tuesday night, so he got an extra break at the beginning of the game against the Hawks.

The veteran guard is averaging 28.8 points in his last five games against Minnesota, shooting 69.7 percent (46-for-66) from the field and 67.6 percent (25-for-37) from 3-point range.
We are now ranked number 3 in the West. Nice after being 8 or 9 two weeks ago.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Finally! A Spurs thread! 7 in a row tonight, we're looking really good now.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Let's see if the Lakers can stay consistent. If they don't, then we will be right there. LA, we have a rookie that plays very very good defense. I think he may possible give Kobe some fits.

Let's see if the Lakers can stay consistent. If they don't, then we will be right there. LA, we have a rookie that plays very very good defense. I think he may possible give Kobe some fits.

The Lakers were very high on Hill and would have traded for Seattle's 2nd Round pick if he was still on the board at that point, from what I understand. Solid player. His defense is a bit ahead of his offense at this point, but that's what's going to get him PT from Popovich, and he's shown flashes of proficiency on offense as well. Not tall enough to effect Kobe though.

People are definitely sleeping on the Spurs, but ultimately I don't think that they have enough firepower to win the West.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Dec 15, 2008 at 12:35:22 ]

The Lakers were very high on Hill and would have traded for Seattle's 2nd Round pick if he was still on the board at that point, from what I understand. Solid player. His defense is a bit ahead of his offense at this point, but that's what's going to get him PT from Popovich, and he's shown flashes of proficiency on offense as well. Not tall enough to effect Kobe though.

People are definitely sleeping on the Spurs, but ultimately I don't think that they have enough firepower to win the West.

His height is a question but they say he has very long arms for his body. Still, probably not enough to make up for 4-5 inches but it is rare to see a rookie playing solid defense.

His height is a question but they say he has very long arms for his body. Still, probably not enough to make up for 4-5 inches but it is rare to see a rookie playing solid defense.

Yeah, he's definitely a keeper. He'll be guarding guys like CP3, Deron, Monta Ellis, etc. for the next several years.
I used to like pantstickle, then I found out he's a Spurs fan. Now he's my mortal enemy.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
I used to like pantstickle, then I found out he's a Spurs fan. Now he's my mortal enemy.

Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

So it must be. I clinch the fist of the hand that once high-fived Tony Parker!

Go Spurs, Go!
Share 49ersWebzone