There are 168 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2008-09 NBA Champion Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by GameOver:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Actually, a Kobe opt out is good news. If he opts out and re-signs, it will save us a bit of money this year, which is when we need it most because Fisher & Morrison will come off of the books next year, and we need a little extra cash for Ariza & Odom this offseason.

I'll spare you the details, but it saves us around $1,000,000 this year, IIRC.

Do you see him taking a pay cut at all though? Like am I the only one who thinks he should and will consider and if he had a f**king heart would take a pay cut? Im saying if the max we can give him is 6 years 169 then he should take 6 years 120, so Im not saying give away all your money, just have it where we can sign both LO and Trevor long term too and not have Kobes taking up all our cap space in 2012-2013

No, I don't see him taking a pay cut, and I don't think he should either. He missed out on the mega-contracts that Shaq, KG, & Jordan got before the last collective bargaining agreement came into place. No one was upset with Jordan when he was making $30+ million in the 90's.

If we don't sign LO and/or Ariza, that's because Buss doesn't want to do it. He makes an operating profit of around $50M a year to go along with a $10M+ annual salary that he pays himself. There's plenty of money to go around.

i think kobe will take a paycut, not a huge one, but that would give the lakers room to sign Odom and Ariza,

They don't need "room." They have bird rights and can go over the cap and into luxury tax territory. And like Pete said, LA is lucky because they are one of the few teams who make a ton of money.

i understand that but isnt ur owner wanting to stay at a certain number payroll wise

Yes, but why should a player take less money because the owner wants to make more?

im not saying a player should take less, im just saying i think Kobe understands the team he has right now, and i think he would be willing to take a cut to make the other players happy to keep what they have alive
Originally posted by valrod33:
im not saying a player should take less, im just saying i think Kobe understands the team he has right now, and i think he would be willing to take a cut to make the other players happy to keep what they have alive

But his salary wouldn't stop those other guys from getting paid.
Parade info from LG regarding the Coliseum.

There is no fee for the parade. (Get there early.)

You can start parking as early as 6am.

Doors open at 9:30am.
Originally posted by GameOver:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by GameOver:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
I was just thinking about that the other day. Shouldn't Kobe opt out and reup for a new max contract? It is the smart thing for him to do.

I hope not...Id like to imagine that hes reached a stage in his career where he knows that he no longer needs the cash money and if anything will take a bit of a pay cut so that we can sign LO/Trevor and possibly some other pieces (an actual backup center and someone/something to replace Luke with would be nice...)

But he already got his championship. If they came up short this year I could see that.

If they came up short Id see him opting out and either demanding max or saying f**k it and going else where...since we won the ring I feel like he got that Shaq monkey off his back, now hes chasing Jordans 6 and what better way to get Jordans sick than by getting ANOTHER 3 peat ala Jordan...and so as a result, you'd only want to improve your team, not stay the same, so resigning Trevor & Lamar is priority but then adding another piece would be fantastic...idk...offseason time is always that time of the year where I am just in awe of these huge massive contracts and then see the measly 8.50 an hour I make...lol

@ 3 peat. Even with Ariza and Odom this Laker team ain't 3 peating. You have to be head and shoulders above the whole league to do that. And these Lakers ain't.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by GameOver:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by GameOver:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
I was just thinking about that the other day. Shouldn't Kobe opt out and reup for a new max contract? It is the smart thing for him to do.

I hope not...Id like to imagine that hes reached a stage in his career where he knows that he no longer needs the cash money and if anything will take a bit of a pay cut so that we can sign LO/Trevor and possibly some other pieces (an actual backup center and someone/something to replace Luke with would be nice...)

But he already got his championship. If they came up short this year I could see that.

If they came up short Id see him opting out and either demanding max or saying f**k it and going else where...since we won the ring I feel like he got that Shaq monkey off his back, now hes chasing Jordans 6 and what better way to get Jordans sick than by getting ANOTHER 3 peat ala Jordan...and so as a result, you'd only want to improve your team, not stay the same, so resigning Trevor & Lamar is priority but then adding another piece would be fantastic...idk...offseason time is always that time of the year where I am just in awe of these huge massive contracts and then see the measly 8.50 an hour I make...lol

@ 3 peat. Even with Ariza and Odom this Laker team ain't 3 peating. You have to be head and shoulders above the whole league to do that. And these Lakers ain't.

We were only "head and shoulders" above the one year during the first three peat. We were down 15 points in the 4th quarter of the 7th game of the WCFs before a huge comeback in 2000, and barely beat your Kings in 2002.

Bynum never made it back to the level of athleticism he was playing with before his injury, and Shannon Brown has considerable talent, and could very well be next year's Ariza.

I'd never predict a 3 peat, but this team hasn't maxed out yet either. We have a shot.
Any of you cop the championship shirt and hat?
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Any of you cop the championship shirt and hat?

Not yet. But I'm definitely gonna get that white, old school championship shirt. That's awesome.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Any of you cop the championship shirt and hat?

Not yet. But I'm definitely gonna get that white, old school championship shirt. That's awesome.

The one with the heads?
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Any of you cop the championship shirt and hat?

Not yet. But I'm definitely gonna get that white, old school championship shirt. That's awesome.

The one with the heads?

Hell yeah. Old school, 1987 style.

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Any of you cop the championship shirt and hat?

Not yet. But I'm definitely gonna get that white, old school championship shirt. That's awesome.

The one with the heads?

Hell yeah. Old school, 1987 style.


Since I am in Chicago I have to settle for the hat and the shirt that they wore lol... The local fans edge are getting a shipment overnighted tonight so I'm waiting patiently. I want to get one of those old school ones also. I might order one also.
llama math












+








=









=



Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Parade info from LG regarding the Coliseum.

There is no fee for the parade. (Get there early.)

You can start parking as early as 6am.

Doors open at 9:30am.

I hope it rains.
Originally posted by rigs49:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Parade info from LG regarding the Coliseum.

There is no fee for the parade. (Get there early.)

You can start parking as early as 6am.

Doors open at 9:30am.

I hope it rains.

This
Wooh Lakers!!!

Last night was awesome. What a great season!!

I am so happy to have been able to witness not 1 but 2 great Monkey Off the Back Championships. From Steve Young to Kobe Bryant.

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Majestic Athletic Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant 2009 NBA Finals Champions Jersey









Link to yours

I bought this one before they sold out, as well as the champ pack from NBA.com.
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com