***Official Boxing Thread***

Originally posted by Niner_Demon:
Originally posted by MoistButtCheeks:
thats the s**t I like

Mile high baby

Can't ask for a better fight.

Provodnikov
I think these two match up perfectly with each other. Lucas Mathysse would decapitate these two within the first 4 rounds. Amir Khan needs to reestablish himself before going in against any of the top ten jr.welters. The other good fight to be made would any of these two against Danny Garcia.

I'd rather them two just fight each other for a third time.

Arum said one of these guys vs Marquez... I would like to see that also.
Originally posted by sacniner:
I think these two match up perfectly with each other. Lucas Mathysse would decapitate these two within the first 4 rounds. Amir Khan needs to reestablish himself before going in against any of the top ten jr.welters. The other good fight to be made would any of these two against Danny Garcia.

Arum said one of these guys vs Marquez... I would like to see that also.

The only reason I didn't include JMM is because there is a rumor that he might be retiring.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Originally posted by MoistButtCheeks:
thats the s**t I like

Mile high baby

Provodnikov

Provodnikov is at 147 Lbs. but he would make a great fight with anyone.
Originally posted by sacniner:

You think it would be too much for them to fight again for their very next fight? Would it "take something out of them?"

I am pissed that Arum does not want them to fight each other next, but I can see that logic because of how bloody and savage these fights are. F'n awesome fights. Alvarado did a great job using the ring and using his legs. Very impressive.

As much as I'd prefer a third bout, I can see where Arum is coming from. These two began as the undercard bout between two undefeated up-and-comers that stole the show. Their rematch was placed as a main event and once again will be nominated as a FOTY candidate, so why not hold the rubber match as a potential PPV co-feature?

Look at it this way:

Rios vs a current jr welterweight champion (I would prefer Peterson for style sake, but Mattysse would be pretty sweet as well)

Alvarado vs Danny Garcia (Alvarado just came off of huge win and has the name Garcia can make money off of)

So you get three possible results:

1. They both win and get a unification bout as their rubber-match as a co-feature of a PPV bout

2. They both lose and have a HBO main event for rubber-match to get their names back into the mix for title bouts

3. One loses and one wins, building up for the rubber-match (most likely a HBO main event, but could be undercard of PPV bout)

I'd hope the third option wouldn't happen, but a Peterson/Rios would be sweet, and Alvarado/Garcia could be epic seeing Alvarado boxes more than Rios, but has nasty power that Garcia hasn't seen. I agree with Niner_Demon that Mattysse could destroy both of these guys, but I would give Rios the better chance b/c I think Rios could get Mattysse angry enough to get into a brawl, which would benefit Rios heavily.
first fight was better i think because there was no strategy lol.. it was an all out war

but this one was still great.. alvarado stayed on the outside and it seemed like rios just let up in the final rounds.. to think mike almost went down in the 2nd round too
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
first fight was better i think because there was no strategy lol.. it was an all out war

but this one was still great.. alvarado stayed on the outside and it seemed like rios just let up in the final rounds.. to think mike almost went down in the 2nd round too

I agree. Alvarado stuck to his game plan. Rios had no answer for the right hand defensively in the last part of the fight. Mike and Rios have incredible chins to have endured those bombs thru out the fight.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
As much as I'd prefer a third bout, I can see where Arum is coming from. These two began as the undercard bout between two undefeated up-and-comers that stole the show. Their rematch was placed as a main event and once again will be nominated as a FOTY candidate, so why not hold the rubber match as a potential PPV co-feature?

Look at it this way:

Rios vs a current jr welterweight champion (I would prefer Peterson for style sake, but Mattysse would be pretty sweet as well)

Alvarado vs Danny Garcia (Alvarado just came off of huge win and has the name Garcia can make money off of)

So you get three possible results:

1. They both win and get a unification bout as their rubber-match as a co-feature of a PPV bout

2. They both lose and have a HBO main event for rubber-match to get their names back into the mix for title bouts

3. One loses and one wins, building up for the rubber-match (most likely a HBO main event, but could be undercard of PPV bout)

I'd hope the third option wouldn't happen, but a Peterson/Rios would be sweet, and Alvarado/Garcia could be epic seeing Alvarado boxes more than Rios, but has nasty power that Garcia hasn't seen. I agree with Niner_Demon that Mattysse could destroy both of these guys, but I would give Rios the better chance b/c I think Rios could get Mattysse angry enough to get into a brawl, which would benefit Rios heavily.

The risk you run into is that any of the other 140 Lbs. fighters have a legit chance at winning. If Rios or Alvarado end up losing a fight before the rubber match, it could risk interest in a third fight.

Between Rios and Alvarado, I give Alvarado the better chance against Mathyse simply because Alvarado can use lateral movement better. Rios tends to stand right in front of you and comes in straight ahead. Mathysse would have a field day landing that right hand on Rios.
TV fights this week.

ESPN2 - April 5 (9PM ET/6PM PT)
Jonathan Maicelo vs. Rustam Nugaev (lightweight)

HBO2 - April 6 (2PM ET/PT)
Rocky Martinez vs. Diego Magdaleno (WBO jr lightweight title)
Brian Viloria vs. Juan Estrada (WBA/WBO flyweight title)
Plus the pro debut of Zou Shiming
TV fights this week.

ESPN2 - April 5 (9PM ET/6PM PT)
Jonathan Maicelo vs. Rustam Nugaev (lightweight)

HBO2 - April 6 (2PM ET/PT)
Rocky Martinez vs. Diego Magdaleno (WBO jr lightweight title)
Brian Viloria vs. Juan Estrada (WBA/WBO flyweight title)
Plus the pro debut of Zou Shiming

Super excited for this fight! Go Diego GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Niner_Demon: I will always go to your opinion on the better fight w/Mattysse b/c of your sheer awesomeness , but as much as a loss would be detrimental to the hype of the fight, I still think the promotion of the rubber match will still get a TON of numbers. If they waited more than one bout then they'd definitely lose momentum, but I think one wouldn't be bad.

Also, listened to the Heavy Hitting Podcast earlier this week and heard Mulvaney mention another reason why Arum would hold off the rubber match: They nearly killed each other! Lol, but seriously, the punishment they put on each other caused the doctors to force both fighters to get CT scans and stay @ the hospital overnight (I heard rumors). Maybe a tune up bout and/or title bout could help each fighter recover.

Niner_demon, what would you think about a Rios vs Peterson bout?
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Super excited for this fight! Go Diego GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Niner_Demon: I will always go to your opinion on the better fight w/Mattysse b/c of your sheer awesomeness , but as much as a loss would be detrimental to the hype of the fight, I still think the promotion of the rubber match will still get a TON of numbers. If they waited more than one bout then they'd definitely lose momentum, but I think one wouldn't be bad.

Also, listened to the Heavy Hitting Podcast earlier this week and heard Mulvaney mention another reason why Arum would hold off the rubber match: They nearly killed each other! Lol, but seriously, the punishment they put on each other caused the doctors to force both fighters to get CT scans and stay @ the hospital overnight (I heard rumors). Maybe a tune up bout and/or title bout could help each fighter recover.

Niner_demon, what would you think about a Rios vs Peterson bout?

Flattery gets you everything.

There is a definite concern for the health of these fighters. The type of fights they had is the kind that will have an effect on the rest of their careers. That is more of the reason to do this again right away. The sport needs these kinds of fights. If these two go out and one of them lose their next fight, the casual fan will lose interest in a third fight.

I think Rios would have a hard time with Peterson. And Peterson's style would not make a great fight.
If Rios makes it a brawl he would have a slight edge.

Rios has yet to prove he has the same power he did at 135Lbs. He did stagger Alvarado and stopped him in the first fight. But it is not the same power he had at 135Lbs.

Peterson is established at this weight class. He is a good all round fighter with decent power. His chin is suspect thou.

This fight comes down to if Peterson can keep Brandon in the center of the ring at the point of his jab. If Rios just follows Peterson around like he did against Alvarado the last 4 rounds then the edge is for Peterson.

If Rios gets better work in using lateral movement and cutting the ring off on Peterson, he would have spots where he could damage Peterson enough to take a late KO win or stoppage.

Of these two I give Peterson the edge because he is a little fresher and hasn't ben in the types of wars that Rios has.
donaire time.......
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
donaire time.......

This.
Magdeleno was dope. I'm a fan. Dude looks like Tom Hardy.

Zhming was super hyped up. 31 year old with a million dollar debut? Whatevs.

Seeing Larry Merchant and George Foreman call the action was mind blowing. Money talks I guess. Arum is shelling it out.

They also mentioned that a Manny Marquez at that venue would be attempted.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Magdeleno was dope. I'm a fan. Dude looks like Tom Hardy.

Zhming was super hyped up. 31 year old with a million dollar debut? Whatevs.

Seeing Larry Merchant and George Foreman call the action was mind blowing. Money talks I guess. Arum is shelling it out.

They also mentioned that a Manny Marquez at that venue would be attempted.

Smining made me laugh with his bar fight haymaker style

Did you catch May for 30 on showtime? Man ms Jackson is the bizness.

The road to may vs bob starts Wednesday night too.