***Official Boxing Thread***

Originally posted by phiLthyphiL:
Originally posted by nothing03:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by Money:
I think I'm going to actually have to buy the Mayweather v Pacquiao

Hattons fight were worth the money IMO.

3 minutes of fight =50 dollars.

It was actually 5:59. And they did give you 2-3 minutes of pre-fight montage.

it was the best 6 minutes evar tho (that's what she said)..

spent $55 to watch it closed-circuit in an arena full of crazy filipinos..
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
Originally posted by Niner_Demon:
when is andre ward finna fight again?

Nothing scheduled yet. They might be trying to get a major name figfhter for him next. The middleweight division is full of talented fighters. The problem is getting them to fight each other. This guy looks to be the real thing.

World-ranked, undefeated super middleweight Andre Ward (18-0, 12 KOs) meets hard-hitting Colombian Edison Miranda (32-3, 28 KOs) May 16 on a special Saturday primetime edition of ShoBox: The New Generation live on SHOWTIME at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif.

A victory in what most agree will be Ward’s toughest test could put the talented, classy 2004 Olympic Games gold medalist in position to fight the winner of this Saturday’s showdown between undefeated WBC 168-pound champion Carl Froch and former undisputed middleweight kingpin Jerman Taylor on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING (9 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the west coast).

Ward, who is ranked No. 2 in the WBC, one spot below Taylor, doesn’t see a clear-cut favorite and expects Froch-Taylor to be a tight, competitive contest.

“This is a very interesting fight,” said Ward, who will appear in his hometown of Oakland for the first time as a professional when he takes on Miranda. “I admire Froch for coming to the United States to fight. He could have stayed in the UK and become a draw but he knows that at age 31 his time is now.

“Stylistically speaking, it’s a hard fight to call. Both fighters have their pros and cons. But if I have to pick, I’d say Taylor will win a very close fight. I think his speed, experience and athleticism will pull him through.”

The May 16 ShoBox telecast will begin at 9 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the west coast).

man i wish i could see this one..
Sharkie’s Machine
By Frank Gonzalez Jr.
May 16, 2009
“Andre Ward Passed the Test against Edison Miranda”

Saturday night at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Super-Middleweight Prospect, turned contender, Andre Ward (19-0, 12 KO’s) broke his cherry taking on ‘his first real test’ against the ferocious puncher, Edison “Pantera” Miranda (32-4, 28 KO’s).

Miranda only had two good rounds, the first and second. Miranda landing some good shots, one that caused a cut over Ward’s left eye. It looked like Miranda was going to make it an uphill battle for Ward but from rounds three through twelve, Miranda was neutralized by the slicker, faster Ward. Miranda’s sloppy, uninspired performance could see his stock plummet as fast as Ward’s stock has risen.

Where Miranda didn’t, Ward made adjustments. Ward stepped up his pace and used good footwork and timing to score at will and frustrating Miranda, who was rarely able to land anything clean on account of the mobility and ring generalship of Andre Ward. Ward showed great footwork and quality skills can cancel an opponent’s ruthless and even toothless aggression in the ring. This is what boxing is all about. The art of hitting without being hit.

From round three on, this was a blowout, with Ward beating Miranda to the punch all night. Ward was aggressive in spots by smothering Miranda on the inside and then tying him up. Miranda did not make adjustments and was reduced to a one dimensional, right handed fighter. Late in the fight, Miranda was pawing with his jab, clearly trying to set up his right. Ward wasn’t buying it. Ward dictated the tempo of the contest and never allowed Miranda to get into any kind of functional rhythm.

There were some dirty tactics early on with Miranda being warned for a head butt and a couple of low blows. Ward was warned for holding… maybe twice. Ward did most of the punching and followed up with debilitating clinches that reminded me of the manner with which Ricky Hatton neutralized Kostya Tszyu a few years ago; by hitting, then holding and frustrating his opponent to madness. There were no knockdowns but Andre Ward beat Miranda to the punch and out boxed Miranda effectively for at least ten of twelve rounds.

As disappointing as this result was for Edison, this isn’t the end for Pantera Miranda. At 28, he’s still a young man. He’s still has power but could use some fine tuning on defense and footwork in particular. He’d do well to add new dimensions to his offensive approach and be able to change gears when plan A begs for a plan B. Miranda is a classic brawler and boxing needs a good share of brawlers out there to keep the technical boxer’s on their toes. One good punch can end any fight. Miranda needs to work on having more options to deliver that punch. And it don’t always have to be a right…it could be a left hook. Look how much success it brought to Andre Ward Saturday night. You can’t always win by knockout.

Miranda seems to have problems with weight between fights and would probably be stronger at a higher weight class. I’d like to see him fight guys like Glen Johnson, Hugo Garay or B Hop! Styles make fights and Miranda’s seek and destroy style is always exciting even when he loses because there’s always the chance that he might catch a guy and put him down and out at any moment. Boxing needs macho men like Edison Pantera Miranda.

Congratulations to Andre Ward. This performance puts him front and center in the 168 pound division, where he is now the mandatory challenger for WBC titlist, Carl Froch (25-0, 20 KO’s).

In Froch’s last fight against Jermain Taylor, Froch had to be losing on the scorecards when Taylor’s stamina faded in the final round and Froch caught him with power punches in the corner ropes that saw Taylor go down in the exact manner that Kelly Pavlik dropped him before. Froch showed resilience, hung in there till the end with Taylor and won by KO 12.

Froch is not fancy but he has good power and has shown he can take a punch. Andre Ward showed good qualities against Edison Miranda but big power was not one of them. To his credit, Ward has fast reflexes, good stamina, nice footwork and decent enough pop in his shots to give Froch all he can handle. Froch was mostly out boxed by the smaller Taylor and if it weren’t for Taylor’s lack of stamina when it mattered most, Froch would likely had lost on points, since Taylor scored a knockdown in the early rounds.

Ward is bigger and stronger than Taylor and he’s a better ‘boxer’ than Froch. Ward will be a much tougher opponent for Froch than Taylor was.

Andre Ward’s handlers should waste no time arranging a showdown with Froch. Both are undefeated and both have assets that make them dangerous. This is what the fans want to see, the top guys fighting each other.

Can Carl Froch’s power and durability beat Andre Ward’s top notch boxing skills?

Hopefully, time will tell.
My girlfriend went to see Ward fight, wish I could have watched it
  • ninerskeet
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by teeohh:
My girlfriend went to see Ward fight, wish I could have watched it

I wanted to go, but I didn't know it was in Oaktown til the day before.
f**k that Miranda. Purpuosely using his head was weak! I'd rather not watch a dirty fighter.
Originally posted by MoistButtCheeks:
f**k that Miranda. Purpuosely using his head was weak! I'd rather not watch a dirty fighter.

Yeah, that headbutt was ridiculously intentional. I can't believe the ref didn't see it, but whatever. As soon as the blood stopped pouring directly into his eye, the fight was over. Ward held his own while the blood was flowing, but it was a laugher after it stopped. I can't believe one judge had it like 116-112. WTF was he watching?

I can't wait to see who Ward fights in the near future. He should get shots at a major belt soon.
is the fight anywhere on the net? i wanna see that ishhhh
Pacman vs Mosley on october. Just seen it on ESPN
Anyon watch that Berto fight this weekend? Boy has the skills.

Mosely Paq that would be noice!
http://www.ringtv.com/blog/732/mosley_making_catch_weight_to_fight_pacquiao_would_take_work/
Originally posted by Thizz415:

Damn.

That means Pac would be holding Margarito's belt if he wins.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Damn.

That means Pac would be holding Margarito's belt if he wins.

I dunno if read that article it would be hard for Mosely to make weight. He has to to come down almost 15lbs.

wow.. seriously? i don't know about this one.. looks like suicide.. but then again pac always proves me wrong

wow.. seriously? i don't know about this one.. looks like suicide.. but then again pac always proves me wrong

?

Mosleys gonna go out like Rashad Evans