There are 119 users in the forums

The Seattle losses all fit the same pattern in recent years.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by verb1der:
You forgot about Seattle injuring our players.

We get banged up badly when we go there it seems. That has been the recent past history at least.

Last year they injured Kyle Williams, then earlier this year they took out Ian Williams...and then now Iupati and Bowman.

We get banged up badly when we go there it seems. That has been the recent past history at least.

Last year they injured Kyle Williams, then earlier this year they took out Ian Williams...and then now Iupati and Bowman.

VD got a concussion there one year.

delanie walkers broken jaw, cheap shot to manninghams legs from behind
Originally posted by crabman82:

Yeah you are right. Wow a lot of Seattle injuries. Especially at Seattle. I even forget some of those. But there has really been a lot of them up there.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Yeah you are right. Wow a lot of Seattle injuries. Especially at Seattle. I even forget some of those. But there has really been a lot of them up there.
and before this regime , Alex Smith getting pancaked by Rocky Bernard. Costing him a whole year and leading to the Nolan drama fiasco .
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
We need to take a very long hard look at our offensive approach.

It's not on Roman - it's all on JH. The plays go through him.

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner! Let's forget about Roman for a moment and put him on the back burner. Jim Harbaugh is our coach. It's time for Jim to ask himself some very difficult questions. The biggest issue to address is the fact that we are knocking on the door of a championship the last few years but we are not getting it done.

It all boils down to 1) Ultra Conservatism on both sides of the ball and 2) Overly watered down offense 3) Absolutely NO killer instinct.

I've convinced our squad is loaded with enough great players to win the ring. The biggest aspect that seems to be letting us down is coaching. You guys have done an excellent job of detailing the shortcomings so I won't go into specifics. But I can tell you that our #1 reason why we won't win another ring anytime soon is STUBBORNESS.

I hope you are listening Jim. The last thing we need is for you to shrug your shoulders and say, "oh well, we'll get em next year" and for you to NOT make any philosophical changes. Adjustments need to be made in the offseason.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Jan 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM ]
Originally posted by Geeked:
I was reading an article on bleacher report that brought up some items mentioned in the OP's list.

The one point that hit me the hardest was the same issue I've been frustrated with all season.

The 49ers employ a lot of motions and formations to run a fairly simple set of plays. They depend on the defense worrying about not being placed correctly to create openings. However, the plays themselves (the type of run/pass and direction) can fit on a Tecmobowl playbook.

The better defenses don't bite and sink their defenders to where they anticipate the play instead of worrying about a potential formation imbalance.

This is compounded by the fact that they seem to know what play will ultimately be called; making formation imbalances mute because they already know where to run.

Fact is, Pete Carroll isn't an idiot, neither are many other NFL coaches. Rams figured this out last year and Roman has yet to adjust. I'm almost certain this is one of the reasons why he's not getting a HC job. If I was an interviewer, this is the first place I'd go in an effort for him to explain why he hasn't adjusted.
The last play call proved Roman's incompetence, WHY of all play calls in that juncture of the game would you even try on the best CB in the league? Kap is a gunner and does not have that touch as of now to gently get it in the far back corner of the end zone and fade routes work best when you also have a physical advantage that match up SHEman has the height advantage.
I mean with 30 seconds and two timeouts in your pocket you can still run and complete short passes. With 30 seconds and 2 TO you have at least 4 plays to work with to get a 1st down or TD. Let see what other plays he could have done other than challenge SHEman; all passes listed going to Boldin , Quick slant , WR out route, WR screen (all WR's) , end around with Patton, RB draw, RB counter, QB sweep, read option, TE skinny post, TE screen, roll out bootleg pass to TE, PA pass to HB, I could go on and on. But if you havent tested SHEman all game other than 1 pass ( not supringly a def hold) why try to test the all pro. When SHEman was ranting away I did have to agree with that fugly M Fer , why even go there?
Close so close, more than SHEhawk fans would like to acknowledge.
Originally posted by pete98146:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
We need to take a very long hard look at our offensive approach.

It's not on Roman - it's all on JH. The plays go through him.

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner! Let's forget about Roman for a moment and put him on the back burner. Jim Harbaugh is our coach. It's time for Jim to ask himself some very difficult questions. The biggest issue to address is the fact that we are knocking on the door of a championship the last few years but we are not getting it done.

It all boils down to 1) Ultra Conservatism on both sides of the ball and 2) Overly watered down offense 3) Absolutely NO killer instinct.

I've convinced our squad is loaded with enough great players to win the ring. The biggest aspect that seems to be letting us down is coaching. You guys have done an excellent job of detailing the shortcomings so I won't go into specifics. But I can tell you that our #1 reason why we won't win another ring anytime soon is STUBBORNESS.

I hope you are listening Jim. The last thing we need is for you to shrug your shoulders and say, "oh well, we'll get em next year" and for you to NOT make any philosophical changes. Adjustments need to be made in the offseason.

i've always said 2 things happen in this world, what you do and what you allow to happen. he enables roman by letting him continue it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by LEN-RHODE9er:
GEEKED......Bingo ! You hit the nail on the head Dude. That is basically what Boldin said when they played in the super bowl against the Raven's. We knew your s**t. Roman either needs to change or he needs to go or we are going to continue to feel just like we feel right now for a long time or hope that the level of play from other teams gets worse but you know that ain't happening.

Imagine if you're a QB, knowing the defense knows where your receiving options will run. How many "progressions" or "checkdowns" would you really process through, knowing the D will be right in that passing lane when you look that direction. This is why Kaep is developing bad habits. He's fighting the D and the play-caller.

I mean, seriously, is Seattle's D measurably better than the 49ers? are Seattle's receiving options superior?????

What happened to Hunter who was setting the world on fire until he got hurt? What happened to James????? What happened to the explosive Kaep???? How in the world did the rest of the league adapt to the level of talent the 49ers DO have???? How did one of the best o-lines revert to middling during half the games????

It all rests on Roman's approach... or Harboughs approach... I don't know which is more culpable. The fact is, there are OC's that would have destroyed with what the 49ers had on offense...... Imagine what Chip Kelley would have done with this talent.... that should get you fairly hot.

I've said this before in other threads but I'll repeat here because it fits.

Jim Harbaugh is an average-to-good coach. He is not a great coach. He is very over-rated by those who were not paying very close attention to the amount of talent that was being accumulated during the Nolan/Singletary years. By the time of Singletary's last season, the 49ers had become the sexy pre-season pick to win the NFC West. That opinion, which was shared by many, was based in large part on the recognition of the high level of talent on the roster. I recall reading predictions by NFL observers of an 11 win season. Of course the 49ers barely managed half of that and Iron Mike was gone to be replaced by Harbaugh.

In essence Harbaugh took over an 11 win roster and has been able to keep the team at about that level. For both fans and the players, getting to that level was great, particularly against the background of Singletary. However, a great coach would have taken that roster and made it better, not just hold serve which is essentially what Harbaugh has done. I would argue there are 8-10 other NFL coaches that would have done just as well with this roster of very talented players as Harbaugh had done. What he did was what any decent coach would have done.

So, back to the topic; in order to beat Seattle and take that next step, Harbaugh has to take a look in the mirror. The tricks and gimmick formations on offense are not fooling a good defense like Seattle. We need a scheme that actually uses the talent ON THIS ROSTER as opposed to trying to jam them all into the same round hole. Ground and pound doesn't work against their very good front 7 because they know we can not hurt them with the pass. JH needs to look at the best passing offenses in the league and figure out how to do what they do, and then teach Colin Kaepernick how to do that. (I know it may cause a fire but if JH were to sit down and study what Andy Reid and Alex Smith were doing over the last half of this past season, and install a good bit of that, this passing offense would be much improved.)

Defensively the two teams are very close…apart from the secondary and that is due primarily to Sherman's play along with Earl Thomas. The drop off from Thomas to Eric Reid is substantial but not precipitous. However, the 49ers have no one close to the cover and tackling skills of Sherman. He changes the game. I doubt the 49ers will find a rookie in the draft that can be the Sherman equivalent but they need to move in that direction.

In the meantime, Harbaugh MUST develop a balanced passing attack that can go after the rest of the Seattle secondary. In order to do that, we need to get either a second TE involved (McDonald) or a very good #3 wideout, or both. And, of course the final piece is the development of Kaepernick. Between these two teams, if either is to become clearly superior it will be the team that does the best job of developing their QB. As this point I believe Wilson has a small but clear edge. Can Harbaugh close the gap and move ahead? That will go a long way to determining who will dominate this division in the next 2-3 years and beyond.
[ Edited by dj43 on Jan 21, 2014 at 1:18 PM ]
I don't think you can lump this game in with the other Seattle ones. We had a 10 point lead in this one. We committed only one delay of game / false start. Our timeout management was impeccable. For the first time in seemingly forever, we were competitive and nearly won in Seattle.

Aldon's monster strip fumble on 1st play of the game was HUGE but playing conservative there and settling for a FG was a Win for Seattle not San Fran.. That should've been 4 down territory all out for a TD.. Run a bootleg, a fake, utilize your talent and punch it in.. That FG made me sick.. I cannot believe we blew this game.. Still steaming mad.
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Vernon's my man but Chancellor's got him shook

Yup, Vernon closes up when in Seattle because he doesn't want to be going through the protocol.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jan 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM ]
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Now Frank Gore has a broken hand? WTF did we inflict any damage on those weakhawks or are they travelling to NY 100%? And they'll Percy back.

We're not going to know how well we would have fared against the Broncos until the SB. It's going to be interesting.

If Peyton Manning has his way with that Seattle defense then I think we all believe that we dodged a bullet in not advancing as Kaep and Harbaws would most likely be 0-2 in the big dance.

I think Peyton Manning will win and yes we would be 0 - 2. We would lose that game IMO.

Unfortunately, I wasn't too excited when Peyton won earlier in the day. This is just a ridiculous year for him. I don't think Seattle will stop him. I'm not sure we could do it either.

I don't believe Seattle is a better team, despite their win. I strongly believe if the refs don't f**k us out of the Saints game, we get the #1 seed and beat Seattle (or anyone else) at The Stick. The two teams are close talent-wise, but the Niners are a little more complete (even the hating ass media agreed with this pre-game). Seattle was more fresh and their home field advantage is truly an advantage.

NFC Championship at The Stick = win. I can't confidently say that we'd beat Peyton though. This is his year.
[ Edited by Empire49 on Jan 21, 2014 at 9:17 PM ]
Originally posted by theduke85:
I don't think you can lump this game in with the other Seattle ones. We had a 10 point lead in this one. We committed only one delay of game / false start. Our timeout management was impeccable. For the first time in seemingly forever, we were competitive and nearly won in Seattle.

I don't think you get a trophy for "nearly winning" do you?
In the critical moments Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman have failed.

• 1st and goal from the 7 in the SuperBowl
  • 1st and 10 from the 18 NFC Championship Game

A touchdown wins you the game in both scenarios. And we got terrible playcalling in both instances.

I looked at the list of teams we'll play next season at Levi. But really, what does it matter?
I might as well wait till next January because I already know what's going to happen.
We'll win 10-13 games, make the playoffs and get to the NFC title game or Superbowl.
Then I MIGHT. I JUST MIIIIIIIGHT SEE SOME IMPROVEMENT.
We might actually win the last game and make proper play calls when it counts. Other than that
I'm not going to see anything new.
Share 49ersWebzone