LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 329 users in the forums

Most hated All-time 49ers Foe

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Most hated All-time 49ers Foe

Here's how I summarize my hatreds:

Early/Mid '90s Cowboys were an annoying rival but guess what, how can you be mad at a team that was gifted their greatness due to the Herschel Walker pick?? That team was ridiculously stacked on the OL and DL, making everybody around them better. To top it off due to Haley's inability to get along with Steve Young, he had to be traded.....although I have no idea in hell why they thought Cowboys was a good idea? Maybe the fact that they were 1-15 not many seasons prior, they were still seen as a bad team?

I've rewatched some of those games. The greatness of Steve Young and Rice is what kept us in those early bouts, then once we got over the hump I don't recall them beating us much, if at all.

Mid to late '90s Packers: Here's where I think I have more hatred for because it seems were we beaten more thoroughly. As has been pointed out by the sages on WZ, Holmgren and their DC just knew how to shut us down. Plus it didn't help that for most of this era we didn't have a good RB. Favre is more hateable than Aikman ever could be (then and now). Guys like Antonio Freeman, Mark Chmura were also annoying.

Cowboys games were close so to speak until late in the game when they would pull away. Packers games were frustrating from the 1st quarter on and never relented.

Mid to Late '80s Giants (early '90s Giants is misnomer here): A very interesting thorn in our side. A team that was built for the sole intention of keeping us out of super bowl appearances (then and now). Outside of 1985/1986 playoffs, they've managed to keep us out a few times by the slimmest of margins and luckiest of breaks. We killed a helpless '93 squad, and spoiled their '02 appearance....but those Giants teams were never going all the way. They are a perfect 5-0 in conference title games, two of which came at our expense.

You may say that if there wasn't holding on that Rice TD in '92 NFCC first drive the game could have been different, but those Cowboy and Packers teams that beat us were fundamentally better. The Giants teams that beat us after '86 have not been "better" once. So for that I hold them higher.

Plus like "NYVAGIANTSSUCK", I happened to live in the NYC metro area most of my life from 1986 onwards, so I have more real life Giants fan friends than Cowboys/Packers by a few miles. That part certainly does not help.

I'll have you guys know that Giants fans and even players from the late '80s always felt we dogged the Rams game in '88 finale to "keep them out" because we were scared and they also felt confident they could have beat us in '89 had Flipper Anderson not scored a walk off TD in OT the week before our 30-3 Rams beating. Even the '89 MNF game they felt they could have won, as I'm sure they would say about the '90 MNF the year after.

That sense of arrogant entitlement needs discipline. If I can paint the final Candlestick Park game with full control it's the Giants getting killed in the NFC Championship game.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Early/Mid '90s Cowboys were an annoying rival but guess what, how can you be mad at a team that was gifted their greatness due to the Herschel Walker pick?? That team was ridiculously stacked on the OL and DL, making everybody around them better. To top it off due to Haley's inability to get along with Steve Young, he had to be traded.....although I have no idea in hell why they thought Cowboys was a good idea? Maybe the fact that they were 1-15 not many seasons prior, they were still seen as a bad team?

I've rewatched some of those games. The greatness of Steve Young and Rice is what kept us in those early bouts, then once we got over the hump I don't recall them beating us much, if at all.

Mid to late '90s Packers: Here's where I think I have more hatred for because it seems were we beaten more thoroughly. As has been pointed out by the sages on WZ, Holmgren and their DC just knew how to shut us down. Plus it didn't help that for most of this era we didn't have a good RB. Favre is more hateable than Aikman ever could be (then and now). Guys like Antonio Freeman, Mark Chmura were also annoying.

Cowboys games were close so to speak until late in the game when they would pull away. Packers games were frustrating from the 1st quarter on and never relented.

Mid to Late '80s Giants (early '90s Giants is misnomer here): A very interesting thorn in our side. A team that was built for the sole intention of keeping us out of super bowl appearances (then and now). Outside of 1985/1986 playoffs, they've managed to keep us out a few times by the slimmest of margins and luckiest of breaks. We killed a helpless '93 squad, and spoiled their '02 appearance....but those Giants teams were never going all the way. They are a perfect 5-0 in conference title games, two of which came at our expense.

You may say that if there wasn't holding on that Rice TD in '92 NFCC first drive the game could have been different, but those Cowboy and Packers teams that beat us were fundamentally better. The Giants teams that beat us after '86 have not been "better" once. So for that I hold them higher.

Plus like "NYVAGIANTSSUCK", I happened to live in the NYC metro area most of my life from 1986 onwards, so I have more real life Giants fan friends than Cowboys/Packers by a few miles. That part certainly does not help.

I'll have you guys know that Giants fans and even players from the late '80s always felt we dogged the Rams game in '88 finale to "keep them out" because we were scared and they also felt confident they could have beat us in '89 had Flipper Anderson not scored a walk off TD in OT the week before our 30-3 Rams beating. Even the '89 MNF game they felt they could have won, as I'm sure they would say about the '90 MNF the year after.

That sense of arrogant entitlement needs discipline. If I can paint the final Candlestick Park game with full control it's the Giants getting killed in the NFC Championship game.

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

I think this is gonna be a good year to deal with hatred.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

You wrote that Charles Haley was traded because he couldn't get along with Steve Young. Can you expound on that? I've always heard he had problems with teammates, but never heard about Young. Wish we could've kept Haley. He was a beast & that trade cost us at least 2 superbowls.
Giants are still my most-hated team, Cowboys really only gave us issues in Championship games in the late 70s and 90s, the Giants have been our greatest enemy since our rise to power in the NFL. -It's always been a tale of East vs West.

-New York beat us in two Championships off of fumbles in the final minutes of each game (you could say they were gift-wrapped to those c********rs), won two off of crippling our QB (Joe, on both occasions). -They're former white trash garbage coach Parcells (who is only in the HOF because he gave the NFL Bill Belichick) ordered dirty shots on a dozen of our players, insulted Bill Walsh and his offense numerous times. Heck, at least the Cowboys of the 90s were classy enough to admit we were better than them (even when they beat us in 1992), every time we beat the Giants (or defeated) the story never changes, and their fans are class-less garbage bag who never let up.

There's more things to hate about the Giants than the Cowboys, our deal with Dallas wasn't about Dallas, it was about the NFL 'respecting' us... with the Giants it's been about territorial/tribal respect.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Sep 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM ]
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
You wrote that Charles Haley was traded because he couldn't get along with Steve Young. Can you expound on that? I've always heard he had problems with teammates, but never heard about Young. Wish we could've kept Haley. He was a beast & that trade cost us at least 2 superbowls.

he also couldn't stand george seifert (haley peed on his car lmfao)...haley melted down with all the drastic changes in '91 (Joe hurt, Ronnie and Roger gone) and the Niners' inconsistent start to that season (win one, lose one)...breaking point was when the Niners lost in LA to the raiders and they had to get Ronnie Lott from the other locker room to calm him down
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

he also couldn't stand george seifert (haley peed on his car lmfao)...haley melted down with all the drastic changes in '91 (Joe hurt, Ronnie and Roger gone) and the Niners' inconsistent start to that season (win one, lose one)...breaking point was when the Niners lost in LA to the raiders and they had to get Ronnie Lott from the other locker room to calm him down
Thought Haley had problems with Tim Harris?? I don't think he peed on Seiferts car lol
Originally posted by jimrat:
Thought Haley had problems with Tim Harris?? I don't think he peed on Seiferts car lol

urban myth or people confused the incidents probably...he did take a swing at seifert according to this article

they seemed to have put it behind them thogh since they posed together smiling at the 49ers alumni function during the Super Bowl in NOLA
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:

urban myth or people confused the incidents probably...he did take a swing at seifert according to this article

they seemed to have put it behind them thogh since they posed together smiling at the 49ers alumni function during the Super Bowl in NOLA
I know he had problems with Tim Harris and I think it was his car he peed on........anyways......I'm getting old
whatever team brett favruh was on at the time and the cowboys for most of my childhood. being born in 87 i hated the packers and cowboys while i was growing up. still hate the cowboys, packers not so much anymore. i think it was favre i hated the most. seahawks are annoying now but based on the fact that harbaugh owns pete carroll im sure they hate us more than we hate them

From everything Haley wrote of Steve Young within his autobiography, Steve Young was literally the "Shawn Michaels" of the 49ers locker room throughout the early 90s (ie, Steve stabbed people in the back, complained to Seifert constantly, and started a lot of fights/b******t politics to remain the starting QB), and would try to rally players on his 'side' behind Joe Montana's back. -This crap only started after Walsh had left, too.
Too young to remember the 80's Giants. All I know is the 90's Cowboys and Current Seahawks were full of classless players. Can't stand them both.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

From everything Haley wrote of Steve Young within his autobiography, Steve Young was literally the "Shawn Michaels" of the 49ers locker room throughout the early 90s (ie, Steve stabbed people in the back, complained to Seifert constantly, and started a lot of fights/b******t politics to remain the starting QB), and would try to rally players on his 'side' behind Joe Montana's back. -This crap only started after Walsh had left, too.

somehow its easier for me to see Montana as a way bigger douche than Young ever couldve been. young constantly put himself in harms way (helmetless, broken ribs, other injuries) to help his team win, i dont think he needed to kiss ass to get his team to love him
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

That's hard to believe b/c Young always seemed to take the high road, even when Montana was being cold to him. Then again, maybe Joe was like that b/c Steve was backstabbing.
f**k the raiders, the packers, the falcons, the saints, the cowboys, the vikings, the lions, the chargers, the broncos, the rams, the seahawks, the panthers, the jets, the patriots, the cardinals, the bills, the steelers, the jaguars, and the bucaneers.

f**k the titans, the texans, the chiefs, the raiders, the browns, the bengals, the dolphins, the colts and the bears.

f**k the redskins, the eagles and the giants.

It's all about the 49ers and everyone else is just a weekly obstacle.
Share 49ersWebzone