There are 46 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who's next?

Goodwin and Manningham restructured to stay, will Rogers do the same next year? He's going to make an enormous amount of dough. Swap some dough for guaranteed money to play for the Niners?
That would make sense and would help a lot. I like Rodgers and I think he really likes playing for the Niners, so I won't be surprised if he does the same thing.
Don't think we let Brown leave and cully should be able to be our starter. Rogers either restructures and is our 3rd cb or he gets cut. He's scheduled to make 8 million next year.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Unless he has a great season this year Rogers will definitely be told to restructure or get cut. Next 2 years are $8 and $9mil. salaries.
Originally posted by ninergold:
Goodwin and Manningham restructured to stay, will Rogers do the same next year? He's going to make an enormous amount of dough. Swap some dough for guaranteed money to play for the Niners?

he better or else we will replace him
Yeah, might not happen this year but like you guys said if Rogers doesn't restructure after this season he will be cut. I'm sure we will try to get him to restrucutre because after this year we would save 5.1 mil and take a 2.989 mill cap hit. That's a lot since we only had 900k total this year in dead money. Could do it after June 1 to spread the cap hit over 2 years so 1.5 a year. I think he likes it here and will take some sort of cut to stay on. If he doesn't take a paycut and we keep him for 2014 for sure he would be gone before 2015 with a 7.6mil savings and only a 1.494 mil cap hit.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM ]
Yup, Rogers makes the most sense. He'll be 33 next year and will likely have to restructure to stay on the team.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Yup, Rogers makes the most sense. He'll be 33 next year and will likely have to restructure to stay on the team.

Didn't Rogers just restructure during the season last year so they could extend Bowman? I really wish something could be done w/ Boldin's big salary figure for this year...plus, I like the idea of having him on the team for another year or two as a quality veteran WR. He's getting kind of old (32) but I think he still has at least a few good years left in him.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

This or cut. I think we'll lose Brown next year cuz he'll ask for too much. Our starter opposite Cully is in the next draft book it
Originally posted by 49ers808:
This or cut. I think we'll lose Brown next year cuz he'll ask for too much. Our starter opposite Cully is in the next draft book it

If these vets don't understand how the new CBA works by now then they are gonna screw themselves. Teams are going with cheaper younger guys unless they have oodles of cap space. There are only a few younger second contract vets that get lucrative deals and those are the premium talents. Second tier guys are receiving contracts way below their talent and some HOF talent like Ed Reed had to take way less than what he wanted as well as Cliff Avril another secon tier guy.

Our guys got a lot because they were looked upon favorably because they were on a Super Bowl team this offseason but others took way less than what they expected. There just isn't much leverage for vets these days. If I were an agent I would advise my guys to take the first good deal they see especially if it were with a current employer because the more you try to slow play it the greater chance the team signs someone else or drafts someone. Get a good guarantee then sign on.

It doesn't seem our style to start rookies at such a demanding position but we may start Reid and with a hopefully improved front 7, I assume we figure a rook can hold serve
  • IT21
  • Veteran
Kaep
Rogers could be asked, he was given a $1.25M guarantee on April 1st. Depends on preseason. Right now he is worth the money, he is still a very very good Cornerback.

Boldin and Justin for extensions make sense.

Brown might be pricey, he may want to wait this year and get more on the open market.
Would love for Boldin to work an extension that is cap friendly.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home