There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Position group discussion: Defensive line

I have had a lot of fun creating these threads and I'm glad that some of you have enjoyed them. I'm sorry if I am hogging space by creating all of these over the last two days.

Roster spots: 6-7

Locks: Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Tank Carradine (PUP/IR?)

Competition: Will Tukuafu, DeMarcus Dobbs, Quinton Dial, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Lamar Divens, Mike Purcell, Lawrence Okoye

Outlook: The slide the defense had at the end of the year seems to have proven how valuable this unit is to the overall performance of the defense. This unit probably has the biggest gap between talent and available roster spots. I'm even rethinking calling Dorsey and Williams locks. The team invested money into both of them but there is plenty of talent that could potentially over take them. We'll see how it plays out, but here's my take. I think Tukuafu and Dobbs are done here. Both of them suffered from having to learn multiple positions last off season and it held them back on the DLine. Dial and Jerod-Eddie are my favorites in this group. I think they have better size and leverage ratios than Dobbs or Tukuafu. I don't know much about Divens, so we'll see if he blossoms. Purcell is a nice UDFA talent who would be great on the practice squad. Okoye is the true wild card. I don't see any way that he leap frogs all of these guys with zero experience. I would love to see him on the practice squad, but he may not want to spend a year toiling in anonymity. He may just go back to Olympic training if he doesn't make the 53. I don't know what commitment he has to mastering the sport. When it is all said and done, I think seven make the squad: the locks, Dial, and Jerod-Eddie.
pls stop
Originally posted by Ballistic:
pls stop

I will stop, but may I ask why?
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Move dobbs to safety
Originally posted by Karma:

Don't. Clicking on the links is optional, and I'm interested to see what others have to say.
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:

Don't. Clicking on the links is optional, and I'm interested to see what others have to say.

This. Although I don't know about the long snapper one lol.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ballistic:
pls stop

If you don't like the threads don't post in them. You act like hes spamming the place when they are legit threads and constructive.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I know Dial would probably be more effective at DE, but I'm really interested to see if he could make NT work, Dial just looks so reckless!!
I think Dial and Okoye make the roster. Dial is already well coached and Tomsula sees some untapped pass rushing potential. Meanwhile, Okoye is going to be an absolute terror. He'll obviously go through some bumps in the road but he won't make it to the PS. They either keep him or cut him and I believe they keep him. He has great special teams value as is so he'll be able to contribute.
Originally posted by Muggins:
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:

This. Although I don't know about the long snapper one lol.

That's the one I DIDN'T make! :)
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
I think Dial and Okoye make the roster. Dial is already well coached and Tomsula sees some untapped pass rushing potential. Meanwhile, Okoye is going to be an absolute terror. He'll obviously go through some bumps in the road but he won't make it to the PS. They either keep him or cut him and I believe they keep him. He has great special teams value as is so he'll be able to contribute.

If we are going to put Okoye on the roster, we may as well have drafted Margus Hunt. Okoye is too raw.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I know Dial would probably be more effective at DE, but I'm really interested to see if he could make NT work, Dial just looks so reckless!!

I think NT makes plenty of sense for him. He is already a big dude at 6'5'' 318 lbs. and that's before he gets into an NFL weight lifting program.
this is the position on the team that really concerns me to the max. There is no veteran depth? WE NEED atleast 2 more DE/DT type bodies otherwise 2012 all over agaon on the deline.
The niners seldom start a rookie so Dial, Okoye and Tank will have time to develop. If Dial and Okoye make the team the line will be very tall compared with past years.
I am curious to see what happens with Okoye, The 49ers did this once before... Carter? I don't remember the guys name but he had a hell of of career so its not out of the question that Okoye can contribute.

I think it will all come down to instincts.... Okoye will not have muscle memory from playing ball for the last 10 years before he is drafted....but if he has good instincts he might be able to contribute.

I hope he pans out.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home