There are 179 users in the forums

Position group discussion: Wide Receivers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This group has TONS of talent and even more concerns. We know who the starters will be, but the order after that is debatable. I think this will be my favorite group to watch for camp battles.

Roster spots: 5-6

Locks: Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, Mario Manningham (PUP)

Competition: Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins, Quinton Patton, Ricardo Lockette,

[/b]Long shots: Marlon Moore, Chad Hall, Joe Hastings, Chuck Jacobs

Outlook[b]: Many of you will argue that Kyle Williams or A.J. or Patton should be locks, but I can see situations where any one of them gets cut. Harbaugh has proven that he makes decisions in the best interest of the team so draft position, past achievements or perceived loyalty don't earn roster spots. That's great for the team and puts more pressure on these guys to perform. Crabs and Boldin will most likely start and Manningham looks to be headed to the PUP off the bat. That leaves 3-4 spots. Williams has the inside track because he has the most experience and he is also a punt returner. Jenkins, Patton, and Lockette all have tremendous potential and each has earned praise from Harbaugh. I have a feeling that the battle between these three will last through the preseason. Unless I am mistaken, the PUP is for the first six weeks of the season. The team will probably keep all six (Crabs, Boldin, Williams, Jenkins, Patton, and Lockette) until Manningham is healthy or until one of them falls far enough behind the others. The third group of guys would need a HUGE camp or a string of injuries to have a shot. Moore is probably the best of the bunch, but they seem to all have a common denominator. They have great work ethics, so the top guys will be pushed even harder.
I pretty much agree with everything you wrote.

It's already pretty packed, as it is, with Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins, Quinton Patton, and Ricardo Lockette. I'm really interested to see how Lockette does, because Harbaugh was very high on the guy.

I *would've* ruled Kyle Williams out because he's coming off a pretty bad injury and the competition is so stiff. But consider that he's come into training camp with great improvement every year, and is probably going to have to be our punt returner this year. I have a feeling he's going to win a spot and get great playing time.
^ also agree with everything you wrote. I think we keep 6 wideouts, with that 7th being Manningham on PUP (which doesn't count against our 53 while he's on there).

We should have enough solid options for Kaepernick to do his thing this season.
KW is a lock. He is our only PR currently. That plus being our best slot receiver seals the deal.
I think the main competition will be between Patton, AJJ and Lockette. Unless LMJ vastly improves his PR abilities from last year K-Dub will fill that duty and is also a decent slot receiver.

Like you said MM will be on pup list for the first 6 weeks and Crabs and Boldin are obviously 1 and 2.

The fight for the #3 is going to be epic imo. Lockette has amazing measurables and is close friends with Kap, AJJ was a first round pick and needs to shake the bust stigma some have applied to him, Patton is already on Harbs good side and obviously eager to get to work. I can't wait to see how this all unfolds in TC.
WR1 Crabs AJ Jenkins
WR2 Boldin Lockette
WR3 Williams Patton
PUP to begin the season Manningham

Really hoping AJ or Lockette can be the deep threat. Would make this receiving corp very dangerous.
You guys are dead on. If LaMichael proves to be the better punt returner then Kyle Williams is more expendable. I still love him as a player and think he has great upside but so do the rest of the guys. Also, his injury wasn't nearly as bad as Mario's. He should be full go by training camp.
Originally posted by islavistan:
WR1 Crabs AJ Jenkins
WR2 Boldin Lockette
WR3 Williams Patton

Really hoping AJ or Lockette can be the deep threat. Would make this receiving corp very dangerous.

I agree here, with Lockette being put back on the PS after Manningham returns. This roster is bulging, we have extra dline (Carradine, Tukuafu, Dial) and oline (Looney, Kilgore, Snyder and possibly a swing tackle) this year possibly being carried on the 53 man roster. Don't get me started on how many RB's we keep!
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on May 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM ]
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by islavistan:
WR1 Crabs AJ Jenkins
WR2 Boldin Lockette
WR3 Williams Patton

I agree here, with Lockette being put back on the PS after Manningham returns. This roster is bulging, we have extra dline (Carradine, Tukuafu, Dial) and oline (Looney, Kilgore, Snyder and possibly a swing tackle) this year possibly being carried on the 53 man roster. Don't get me started on how many RB's we keep!

RB's? Gore, Hunter, LMJ, Dixon, Miller: 5.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Move Jenkins to team photographer

Jenkins is a lock no matter what anyone says. His deal is guaranteed for the 1st 3 seasons. Too much dead money would be owed.
Originally posted by Karma:
You guys are dead on. If LaMichael proves to be the better punt returner then Kyle Williams is more expendable. I still love him as a player and think he has great upside but so do the rest of the guys. Also, his injury wasn't nearly as bad as Mario's. He should be full go by training camp.

LMJ Is not an effective PR IMO and never will be. KR is another thing, but Williams will be a lock for certain as a PR. He was better than Ginn last season pre injury and should have never been replaced by Ginn to begin with.
Patton will make the team and same with Jenkins. On Jenkins though, that guy got big over the off season. Muscle I mean.
this thread...

#1: Boldin
#2 / #3 / #4 / #5: Williams / Jenkins / Patton / Lockette

PUP: Manningham

IR or PUP: Crabtree

Well, the WR competition has now become the most interesting TC battle.
The only good thing is that we get to see if Jenkins has anything...if can't be a solid #3 we know what position we're drafting #1 next year
Share 49ersWebzone