LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 410 users in the forums

A KC Review of Dorsey.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This a very interesting read/view about Dorsey.He may do very well for us.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/02/secret-superstar-tyson-jackson-and-glenn-dorsey-des-kansas-city-chiefs/
I think Dorsey will be our best acquistition of the off-season and we picked up a lot of good guys. In KC he was surrounded by ok talent. Now he is on a very talented, All Pro D. I think he will flourish with us, but the the article says... it may not be with sacks.
Good analysis in the article.

I also think Dorsey will be an excellent pick-up for us. And, IMO, he'll have a huge chip on his shoulder to prove many people wrong about his ability.

Good post, thanks
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
I think Dorsey will be our best acquistition of the off-season and we picked up a lot of good guys. In KC he was surrounded by ok talent. Now he is on a very talented, All Pro D. I think he will flourish with us, but the the article says... it may not be with sacks.

Well NT's aren't really expected to get huge sacks numbers. They're mostly to clog up running lanes and eat up blockers, more in a support role for the ILB/pass rushers.
I think peeps who have issues with the signing are people who think the niners are under the impression they are getting a top 5 pick from LSU. They aren't. They are expecting the run-stuffer who played in KC and getting him for about 1/2 the price Sopoaga got in Philly.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

I think the coaches had a lot to do with the mediocre play of KC.... their QB too... but on our squad, I have faith in Tomsula getting the most out of Dorsey. He has to be stoked to be playing on the best team in the NFL
Originally posted by Disp:
Well NT's aren't really expected to get huge sacks numbers. They're mostly to clog up running lanes and eat up blockers, more in a support role for the ILB/pass rushers.

I just hope he's able to solidify his strength, and add a little more stabilizing weight. 310+ lbs seems about the right playing weight, for him, to me. He should be the beneficiary of at least 2.5 sacks, with this support and cast alone. I anticipate more 4 down defensive fronts. And a lot of subbing in and out on the edges.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
The most important thing to take note of in that article is that KC ran a two gap front, which is being phased out of the NFL in favor of one gap attacking fronts.

Many fans still think about 3-4 defensive scheme using outdated techniques and responsibilities. Hell, even "expert" sports analysts often make that mistake.

The concepts most are familiar with, like "Five Technique" and "Zero Technique", are not strict standards anymore. The 49ers defense rarely lines up that way.

The biggest issue I've noticed when fans are talking about defensive "needs" is the enigmatic "True" nose tackle. This concept is pure myth and is a term that fans use because they are thinking in terms of two gap 3-4 schemes. It's something that even the most intelligent and educated of fans continue to preach.

Again, the 49ers defensive scheme utilizes one gap principles. Here is an article that may help in understanding the difference... just ignore some of the players they use as examples:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/08/12/defensive-line-techniques-the-prototypes/
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
The most important thing to take note of in that article is that KC ran a two gap front, which is being phased out of the NFL in favor of one gap attacking fronts.

Many fans still think about 3-4 defensive scheme using outdated techniques and responsibilities. Hell, even "expert" sports analysts often make that mistake.

The concepts most are familiar with, like "Five Technique" and "Zero Technique", are not strict standards anymore. The 49ers defense rarely lines up that way.

The biggest issue I've noticed when fans are talking about defensive "needs" is the enigmatic "True" nose tackle. This concept is pure myth and is a term that fans use because they are thinking in terms of two gap 3-4 schemes. It's something that even the most intelligent and educated of fans continue to preach.

Again, the 49ers defensive scheme utilizes one gap principles. Here is an article that may help in understanding the difference... just ignore some of the players they use as examples:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/08/12/defensive-line-techniques-the-prototypes/

How we are able to generate a pass-rush with 4-down linemen (when healthy) so consistently while defending the run. As the season drug on, the 4 guys doing most of the heavy lifting started to wear down. Depth is needed and I'm hoping Dorsey provides that better than anticipated.

Agree that there will be much more substitutions this season than we have seen under Fangio.
I think he'd be a step up from Ice. He seems to be a bit quicker, hopefully that'll help him shed blockers better and have more tackles then Ice did.

The frosting on the cake is Coach Tomsula...he'll get the most out of Dorsey, who has to be pumped joining one of the best DL's in the league. Add in Carradine and Dial and we've really fortified that group.

Good post. Justin Smith and Ray McDonald are good examples of the new breed of 3-4 DE. Both have the ability to excel in one-gap and two-gap schemes. You aren't going to see too many massive clogger types along the lines of Brett Keisel or Ty Warren anymore. Given the rise of the spread offense, smaller and more athletic DLs are at a premium.

We're pushing the envelope even further with Tank Carradine.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on May 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM ]
Our defense revitalized Rogers career into a pro bowl caliber CB.

Out of all the pickups, I see this pick up with the most potential to have a similar story to Rogers.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Our defense revitalized Rogers career into a pro bowl caliber CB.

Out of all the pickups, I see this pick up with the most potential to have a similar story to Rogers.
I think we can all agree with this.

A really good reference book that allowed me to understand a lot more aspects of football is "Take your eye off the ball" by Pat Kirwan. Granted, he's a little jaded towards Pete Carroll, but that is because he worked on his staff before going to Sirius Radio.
Share 49ersWebzone