LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Position group discussion: Cornerbacks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This position group has been the source of the most heated debates this off season. Some on this board wish the team had a smaller, quicker guy to cover slot receivers. Others want bigger, more physical corners to battle the larger receivers in this league. Whatever side you're on, the players currently on this roster are the players we will choose from at the end of camp.

Roster Spots: 5-6

Locks: Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver

Vets with something to prove: Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perish Cox

Special Team Hopefuls: Tramaine Brock, Marcus Cooper, Darryl Morris

Outlook: There are so many scenarios for this group that it will be difficult to predict the outcome. The struggles of the secondary at the end of the season last year are well documented and seem to point to a change coming, but many believe that the lack of a pass rush due to the injuries to Justin and Aldon were the real cause of the statistical drop off. Whatever the reason, one thing is clear. There is room for improvement. Brown and Gulliver appear to be the only locks. Brown was the most consistent performer throughout the season, but he is entering his contract year. The value placed on solid CBs in this league might price Brown out of the team's plans, so this position group will need to consider the future in its construction. Culliver is the best mix of achievement and potential on the team. He will be a starter either this year or next. Rogers is close to a lock but his play dipped dramatically last year and he was a liability against smaller, quicker slot receivers. That and his contract make him a potential candidate for being cut. The reality is that the younger options on this team don't have the e perience to realistically over take Rogers' roster spot. I see him making the team but fighting for playing time. Nnamdi is the biggest question mark. We know he is, or was, capable of being dominant and many think he has a chance to regain that level because he will be asked to do what he does best. Play man coverage with plenty of bump and run. That scheme change and his motivation to prove himself after his flop in Philly has me predicting a big year for him. I think we will see Nnamdi and Culliver covering the outside receivers while Brown slides in to the slot. Assuming that all four of those guys make the team, we are left with Cox and Brock fighting it out for the 5th spot. Cox offers more as a CB, but Brock was arguably the most consistent player on Special Teams last year and we know that ST is going to be a HUGE concern when evaluating these players. It may come down to the decision between a 6th CB or a 5th safety. I give the edge to safety because of the turnover we have already seen this off season.
I'm hoping Marcus Cooper can make the squad , he has the size, speed and a higher ceiling than Brock or Cox ....it would be nice to have another 6-1 corner on the roster to match up with the bigger receivers to limit what pass happy OC's can throw at us ....
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I'm hoping Marcus Cooper can make the squad , he has the size, speed and a higher ceiling than Brock or Cox ....it would be nice to have another 6-1 corner on the roster to match up with the bigger receivers to limit what pass happy OC's can throw at us ....

He has a huge experience gap to close. He definitely has the measurable, but Morris' game highlights are much more impressive. I think the two of them will be fighting for a spot on the practice squad with a chance to make the team next year after Brown, Brock, Cox, and Asomugha are free agents.
Yep, definitely will have a CB in 1st. round next yr., I also think Brown and Cox can come back at resonable deals. The 2 rooks can hopefully be our PS CB's, and get a better shot next yr. as well.
Yes, this is the weakest unit on the team.

None of the Niners CBs have the "swag" that is the hallmark of good CBs. IMO it almost counts for more than physical size. Culliver comes the closest but he cannot back it up yet. The fact that Brown is considered the strongest member of that unit, only highlights the team's weak position, because Brown is as timid as they come in his demeanor. I was hoping that the Niners would pick up Janorice Jenkins last season (small, but plenty of swagger) or even Mattieu this year (swagger). But probably they didn't pass the "character" test. Sometimes it almost seems that they go hand in hand, swagger = poor character. Lol!

Maybe Morris and Cooper will light a spark and Asomugha will rediscover his confidence.

No doubt the Niners will address this deficiency in next year's draft.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Yes, this is the weakest unit on the team.

None of the Niners CBs have the "swag" that is the hallmark of good CBs. IMO it almost counts for more than physical size. Culliver comes the closest but he cannot back it up yet. The fact that Brown is considered the strongest member of that unit, only highlights the team's weak position, because Brown is as timid as they come in his demeanor. I was hoping that the Niners would pick up Janorice Jenkins last season (small, but plenty of swagger) or even Mattieu this year (swagger). But probably they didn't pass the "character" test. Sometimes it almost seems that they go hand in hand, swagger = poor character. Lol!

Maybe Morris and Cooper will light a spark and Asomugha will rediscover his confidence.

No doubt the Niners will address this deficiency in next year's draft.

Why does a corner have to have "swag"??? For years Asomugha was considered to be the 2nd best corner in the NFL and i wouldn't associate him with a player that has a lot of swag. Neither would i with Revis but that is arguable. Does Champ Bailey have swag?

To me the signs of a good corner are the ones you never hear their name called unless they pick a ball off.
With the cap we can either have; Willis, Bowman, Smith, & Brooks playing LB

or we can have; Revis & Terell Brown on the corners with Goldson at FS with Larry Grant, Tavares Gooden, Clark Haggans, and Cam Johnson playing LBer for us!
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

I just don't see Any scenario in which Cooper makes the 53 man roster...He is the definition of raw...He has a place cemented on the practice squad. Asomugha and Brock are in a dogfight to make the roster
Yea I see this as the most up in the air. Brown should lock down one spot then after that it is going to be very competitive.
Rogers, Brown, Nnamdi, Culliver, Brock all make this team easily. Battle is just for the last spot.

Noob
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Move Rogers to safety
Nnamdi will end up being the best corner in this group.
id really like to see Morris make the team and play some slot (he is the teams highest paid undrafted free agent) apparently they really wanted him but it will be tough for him to be out the vets with several years experience but i would love it if he did.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Nnamdi will end up being the best corner in this group.

Chris Culliver will have something to say about that.
Share 49ersWebzone