There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

My 52 man roster...want your advice for 53

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
This all looks good, besides a few things.

The 49ers haven't shown anything towards cutting players, so I highly doubt Whitner gets the Axe, he is still a good SS, and is better than Dahl, Spillman and Robnson combined right now. Those 3 are STs.

Also Dixon isn't a lock, I can see him left off for an extra OL, which could used better than a RB who's only good thing is STs.

Well, the main reason why I would think Whitner would be on the chopping block is to free up cap space to sign a FA somewhere else. If we have the space, we will keep him. I could see the team making a move for a veteran OT to backup Staley and Davis.

You are the cap expert, if we dont cut anybody like Whitner, Goodwin, Haralson, or Manningham.... would we have cap space to sign all our rookies, bring in a veteran backup OT, amd have some safety space for emergencies in the season?
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
M Robinson is a good teammate and locker room guy but is not a great blocker nor powerful runner. I've seen him play with the Seahawks the past few years and the guy still can't pick up those 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 first downs.

Dixon is a very good special teams player and showed this past season he can be a decent short yardage back too. Those traits are pretty valuable. Unless someone comes along who can do those things better than he can, he makes the team.

I just feel like Harbaugh loves Daniels and will find a way to get him on the roster. Daniels will have more versatility than Dix and has more big plays in his game.
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
why do people want to get rid of the best LS in the game? can you remember the last time he messed up a snap?

The difference between a great LS and a good one might not have the same impact as a contributing active player.
Originally posted by blm7754:
This all looks good, besides a few things.

The 49ers haven't shown anything towards cutting players, so I highly doubt Whitner gets the Axe, he is still a good SS, and is better than Dahl, Spillman and Robnson combined right now. Those 3 are STs.

Also Dixon isn't a lock, I can see him left off for an extra OL, which could used better than a RB who's only good thing is STs.

Well, the main reason why I would think Whitner would be on the chopping block is to free up cap space to sign a FA somewhere else. If we have the space, we will keep him. I could see the team making a move for a veteran OT to backup Staley and Davis.

You are the cap expert, if we dont cut anybody like Whitner, Goodwin, Haralson, or Manningham.... would we have cap space to sign all our rookies, bring in a veteran backup OT, amd have some safety space for emergencies in the season?

I hope I didn't come on wrong, just saying I dont see Whitner cut. Our cap is fine, we have enough room to sign all draft picks. And possibly a free agent OT if need be.

I don't know the exact amount, but we shold enter 2013 with some cap room. Guys like Nnamdi, Haralson, Manningham arent locked in. So there is a good amount of free space to have.

Whitner being cut would be due to play more so IMO. If Dahl/Spillman or Robinson works out, I am all for cutting Whitner. But I fear a backfield with 2 starting safeties with no prior starting time, or a guy who got beat daily/weekly in STL.
I hope I didn't come on wrong, just saying I dont see Whitner cut. Our cap is fine, we have enough room to sign all draft picks. And possibly a free agent OT if need be.

I don't know the exact amount, but we shold enter 2013 with some cap room. Guys like Nnamdi, Haralson, Manningham arent locked in. So there is a good amount of free space to have.

Whitner being cut would be due to play more so IMO. If Dahl/Spillman or Robinson works out, I am all for cutting Whitner. But I fear a backfield with 2 starting safeties with no prior starting time, or a guy who got beat daily/weekly in STL.

Yes, I think he will be gradually eased out but I can't see him being cut this year. Unless he really deteriorates.
I don't see Marcus Lattimore? Oh the Niners are going to PUP him and then bring him up SMART! Great pick for 49ers and is a great eventual Gore replacement. Having said that I think Gore plays more than 2 years for the 49ers. He could even take a reduced role and still be effective.
Originally posted by dhp318:
The difference between a great LS and a good one might not have the same impact as a contributing active player.

Who exactly would you replace Jennings with?
Vance McDonald? And when he gets injured, what do we do? i am assuming that if jennings goes down with the injury, you might see him fill in.
Kevin McDermott? Thats just downgrading the position

Hell Quinton Patton did some punting in college.....by that logic i dont see andy lee as a lock
or maybe we see andy lee do both punting and kicking......why use 2 roster spots?

I always thought thats why they gave you 53 player roster. 25 for offense, 25 for defense and 3 for K, P and LS.