There are 148 users in the forums

Could the 49ers have S Trent Robinson in mind for the slot cover guy?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After looking back at his profile when he was drafted last year, I'm thinking the Niners may try this guy as a coverage CB for opponents lining up in the slot. With the plethora of new slot guys in the NFL now (especially in the NFC West!), the Niners are going to have to have a plan to contain them...and I don't necessarily mean improving their pass rush and/or knocking the cr*p out of those slot guys at the LOS with their big corners. All comments and insights into this question are welcome...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/83344.html
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Apr 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM ]
Baalke mentioned Chris culliver
I doubt Robinson will get more slot reps this season than Rogers or Brown or Culliver. But looking forward I see Reid and Robinson as an intriguing combo. It often falls on safeties to cover slot receivers. If these are our starting safeties in 2014 and beyond, I think you have two guys who can excel in deep zone, excel in run support, and Reid matches up against TEs and Robinson matches up against slots.
Cox can play the slot.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
After looking back at his profile when he was drafted last year, I'm thinking the Niners may try this guy as a coverage CB for opponents lining up in the slot. With the plethora of new slot guys in the NFL now (especially in the NFC West!), the Niners are going to have to have a plan to contain them...and I don't necessarily mean improving their pass rush and/or knocking the cr*p out of those slot guys at the LOS with their big corners. All comments and insights into this question are welcome...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/83344.html

Its an intriguing possibility as Robinson was looked at as both a cornerback and a safety before the draft. Its hard to tell what the 49ers views of him and their intentions for him are, but it could very well be something they're looking at.
Originally posted by Squidp:
Cox can play the slot.

I've always thought that to be a good slot cover guy, one needs quickness and an aggressive nature more than simply straight line speed. This is why I think a slot cover guy is still a big need for the Niners because I really don't see a guy like that on their roster right now......except perhaps Robinson? In this thread, that is the question...
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
I've always thought that to be a good slot cover guy, one needs quickness and an aggressive nature more than simply straight line speed. This is why I think a slot cover guy is still a big need for the Niners because I really don't see a guy like that on their roster right now......except perhaps Robinson? In this thread, that is the question...

I would absolutely LOVE to see Robinson get some dime reps this season. I was pumped to get him in the 6th round.
Just as long as Rogers isn't in the slot.
I think Trenton Robinson should be able to find a role on this team. Even if it's not as the slot corner, he could still be a nickel safety or something. We rotated 3 safeties in 2011, with Goldson, Whitner, and Reggie Smith.

Originally posted by NowImLost:
I think Trenton Robinson should be able to find a role on this team. Even if it's not as the slot corner, he could still be a nickel safety or something. We rotated 3 safeties in 2011, with Goldson, Whitner, and Reggie Smith.

The thing about Robinson is that nobody really knows s**t about how the team feels about him or their ultimate plans for him. It's like he's stuck behind the Eastern Bloc or something, he got drafted, I heard a few murmurs in training camp and then..............silence..................

Here's an article, like virtually every single one about Robinson, filled with speculation.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/bay-city/index.ssf/2013/03/san_francisco_49ers_may_be_ban.html
Personally, I'd like to see Robinson as our starting FS and Reid as our starting SS. Whitner is terrible in coverage and could be cut to easily free up cap space this year.

As for the slot, I'd like to see Brown or Cox take over there. Or maybe have Culliver press with safety help over the top. We''ll get by on scheme and improved pass rush.

Look for us to draft a CB very high in 2014.
i guess we feel we have the awnser to the "slot CB" internally or we would have drafted otherwise in the draft. i believe their thinking is that our backfield will look alot better with a burly passrush . allowing a guy like robinson to get some reps against austin or harvin
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The thing about Robinson is that nobody really knows s**t about how the team feels about him or their ultimate plans for him. It's like he's stuck behind the Eastern Bloc or something, he got drafted, I heard a few murmurs in training camp and then..............silence..................

Here's an article, like virtually every single one about Robinson, filled with speculation.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/bay-city/index.ssf/2013/03/san_francisco_49ers_may_be_ban.html

Yeah, it's hard to get a read on what the coaches think of him. Around the end of the season, Harbaugh had this to say about him...

Harbaugh: "He made some significant improvement as the season went on. Just on a personal level, (I) really became close and fond of Trenton as the season went on, and the way he approached it as a business. I really thought Trenton grew up fast, and that's going to be really good for him going forward. You'll see continual effort and continual improvement, and things will work out just fine if he does that."

But to me, that's about as ambiguous sounding as coach speak gets.

I did find an interesting nugget while searching for that quote, though. I read that Trenton Robinson was one of the 3 guys to pick off Russell Wilson in 2011 (along with Kiko Alonso and a guy from NIU). Maybe he could use that to get on Harbaugh's good side.
Originally posted by Squidp:
Cox can play the slot.

I'd put Cox in the slot.
Share 49ersWebzone