There are 179 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Step up

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I don't know who is the favorite, that's why I said Looney could either push for the starting job or be a key backup. Either way, if he dresses on Sundays this year, and gets work in our jumbo packages, the pick is a success. I also agree with your points about AJ Jenkins.

It's an uphill climb for these guys. At best, the linebackers can hope to be key backups. LaMichael James will be a key backup, a very important one, but a backup nonetheless. Robinson could shock the world and start but will likely be a key backup and special teamer. The perception of this draft really hinges on AJ Jenkins. Most of pressure usually is on the first round pick, but there is even more in this case because AJ is the only one who has a legitimate chance to start.

yeah, i was curious. It woulld be AWESOME if we could upgrade the center position and save dough. I will have to keep a close eye on that competition. AJ hopefully steps up for us. I am rooting for patton though. We should be beasts this year..
Originally posted by seahawk12thman:
Thank you. This was very informative.. Sounds like the entire draft comes down to Jenkins and James. James was confused last year and didn't always read the hole right. I would think some seasoning and the fact he was in such an unorthodox offense as Oregon's would hinder hid development at the pro level.. That is all I need. We will use these secrets during week 2.. Signed Peter Carroll LOL

Now that the Rams are in the picture as well, this division won't be much fun...

Don't sleep on the Cardinals either. They have a very good defense and finally have a QB that can actually make an NFL pass to one of the best WR's in the game. They got Cooper who overall was IMO the best offensive lineman in the draft. Kevin Minter could be great next to Washington, Mathieu is a wildcard but should help them somehow. Also got Okafor, Stepfan Taylor, Andre Ellington, and Ryan Swope. NFC West = NFC Best.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Jason Slowey

Wasn't he cut? ??

yup, i think he was joking around
I'm guessing seahawk12thman is asking this question because people have similar criticisms about Seattle's draft class. Critics will say Seattle didn't find any key contributors in the draft. They fail to note that Seattle is so deep, nobody they brought in would be able to crack the starting lineup. Seattle, like us, has the luxury of selecting guys and stashing them on the roster, with the idea they will develop and be contributors down the line when there is an opening. SF and Seattle are far ahead of the teams who need 3 to 4 rookies to contribute right away. We're continuing to build on our strengths.
People say it takes 3 years.

IMO, we'll have a better iea after TCamp and know for sure by the end of the season.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
we will not know how bad or good that class is until the cuts begin. if guys from last year start getting cut cuz they can not compete against the guys who were drafted this year, well you have your answer. i would like to think looney and jenkins will stay. By the sounds of the guys we drafted at backer, I am not as confident about the two guys who were hurt last year today as i was a week ago
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
disagree with people who still cling to the hope we will sign grant. No he and whats his face at the backer spot are no longer needed. we got the two kids from last year and the very good people we got last year including this moody kid who is supposed to be hell on wheels in special teams make the need or want for over rated grant no longer a option in my opinion
Right now James is the only saving grace from that class. And he's a part time player. Hopefully Jenkins comes around and steps it up. Time will tell
  • rum53
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VA49er:
Interesting point about Flemming and Johnson. But I think we brought in more competition this year and will get more the next. I essentially agree that they were good developmental picks. Trent Robinson might make the team but I doubt it.

Do you really think Joe Looney is the top candidate to push for the center job? Not Kilgore? I'm seriously asking I don't really have an opinion but I thought Kilgore was the guy to push if anyone. I still think Looney was a good depth pick last year.

As for Jenkins, after last year, if he is still on the squad that is almost a success. He would do well to be the #4 at this point. He's a successful pick if he pans out as the legitimate 3rd option.

I see Looney as insurance in the event we cannot extend Iupati to a long term contract. This guy is a mauler that dropped in the draft because of a broken foot.
I have heard many people argue that the 2012 draft class was poor for the Niners, I don't see it that way because the Niners balk at playing rookies when talent is sufficient. If Harbaugh and his staff stay true to form, they will insert the "redshirt freshmen" into the starting lineup. Since you guys are more passionate and knowledgeable about your team, who are the guys that are going to step up from that class and make a big splash this year??

How about at your end? Seahawks had a fabulous draft in 2012: Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, and Russell Wilson. Now that you also have a stacked roster, who from this years draft, 2013, is going to make a contribution? Like us, there aren't many slots available for rookies to get on the field.

Our two games this year will be epic.
Originally posted by mebemused:
I have heard many people argue that the 2012 draft class was poor for the Niners, I don't see it that way because the Niners balk at playing rookies when talent is sufficient. If Harbaugh and his staff stay true to form, they will insert the "redshirt freshmen" into the starting lineup. Since you guys are more passionate and knowledgeable about your team, who are the guys that are going to step up from that class and make a big splash this year??

How about at your end? Seahawks had a fabulous draft in 2012: Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, and Russell Wilson. Now that you also have a stacked roster, who from this years draft, 2013, is going to make a contribution? Like us, there aren't many slots available for rookies to get on the field.

Our 2013 draft was as follows:

1 Bruce Irvin DE

2 Bobby Wagner ILB

3 Russell Wilson QB

4 Robert Turbin RB

4 Jaye Howard DL

5 Korey Toomer OLB

6 Jeremy Lane CB

6 Winston Guy S

7 JR Sweezy G

7 Greg Scruggs DL

Irvin, Wagner, Wilson and Sweezy (with Guy, Turbin, Scruggs and Lane seeing significant minutes) start so if you told me who is going to have the biggest impact I would say Russell Wilson LOL. It was easily the best draft class the Seahawks have ever had. Korey Toomer supposedly looks great and is ready to take over for Leroy "I love to break the law" Hill (So glad to see that bum go), so out of the other draftees that didn't crack the starting lineup he is my top choice for a break out year. This year won't be so opportunity filled for rookies. It will be very difficult to make this team. The Niners and Seahawks basically mirrored each other by drafting future stars in 2013. Both rosters are loaded and yes our games will be prime time tv. I bet if you told people five years ago the Seahawks and Niners would be the best rivalry in the NFL people would have had you committed.

Vs each other the key match ups will be
Sherman vs Crabtree
Harvin vs Reid (or Dahl if Harbaugh starts Craig, doesn't like to start rookies)
Lynch vs Brooks, Willis

The Niners O matched up poorly against the Seahawks defense because of personnel, not talent. The niners really only had one body (Vernon Davis) who could stretch the field. The Seahawks may have the only player in the NFL who can match up with him (Kam Chancellor). The reason why I was curious about your 2012 draft was because I wanted to see who could change the dynamics of the Niners offense. You guys need either Jenkins or Patton to stretch the field. Last year SF only scored 1 TD against our first string defense in both games. The Seahawks simply put 8 in a box and said beat us deep. Randy Moss had very little success and Crabtree is a possession receiver. While I think Bolden will help, he will be a bigger factor if your offense can play in space. Since there was so much crowding, that is why Colin was not able to use his feet and the Seahawks shut down Gore because there were no running lanes. Being a Seahawks fan I am encouraged that this could be a problem again this year UNLESS one of those guys steps up and becomes a true X receiver. I think there is a very good chance that we win one or two based on personnel but because the Seahawks have 5 10 AM road games against very good teams (You only have one), we could beat you guys twice and you could still win the division.
A. J. is on notice!
The only guy from last year's draft that will step up is LaMichael James. The kid will be a threat. Other than him, nobody will do much. It seems like the 2012 draft was Baalke taking a chance on players knowing they weren't actually needed because the roster was stacked. This year's draft seems more like Baalke taking players we will need for the near future and beyond. We can't expect a home run every year, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

The only other guy I can see making any contribution at all is Jenkins, but I think Patton will limit his action because Patton simply looks like a better WR.
Originally posted by mebemused:

Our 2013 draft was as follows:

1 Bruce Irvin DE

2 Bobby Wagner ILB

3 Russell Wilson QB

4 Robert Turbin RB

4 Jaye Howard DL

5 Korey Toomer OLB

6 Jeremy Lane CB

6 Winston Guy S

7 JR Sweezy G

7 Greg Scruggs DL

Irvin, Wagner, Wilson and Sweezy (with Guy, Turbin, Scruggs and Lane seeing significant minutes) start so if you told me who is going to have the biggest impact I would say Russell Wilson LOL. It was easily the best draft class the Seahawks have ever had. Korey Toomer supposedly looks great and is ready to take over for Leroy "I love to break the law" Hill (So glad to see that bum go), so out of the other draftees that didn't crack the starting lineup he is my top choice for a break out year. This year won't be so opportunity filled for rookies. It will be very difficult to make this team. The Niners and Seahawks basically mirrored each other by drafting future stars in 2013. Both rosters are loaded and yes our games will be prime time tv. I bet if you told people five years ago the Seahawks and Niners would be the best rivalry in the NFL people would have had you committed.

Vs each other the key match ups will be
Sherman vs Crabtree
Harvin vs Reid (or Dahl if Harbaugh starts Craig, doesn't like to start rookies)
Lynch vs Brooks, Willis

The Niners O matched up poorly against the Seahawks defense because of personnel, not talent. The niners really only had one body (Vernon Davis) who could stretch the field. The Seahawks may have the only player in the NFL who can match up with him (Kam Chancellor). The reason why I was curious about your 2012 draft was because I wanted to see who could change the dynamics of the Niners offense. You guys need either Jenkins or Patton to stretch the field. Last year SF only scored 1 TD against our first string defense in both games. The Seahawks simply put 8 in a box and said beat us deep. Randy Moss had very little success and Crabtree is a possession receiver. While I think Bolden will help, he will be a bigger factor if your offense can play in space. Since there was so much crowding, that is why Colin was not able to use his feet and the Seahawks shut down Gore because there were no running lanes. Being a Seahawks fan I am encouraged that this could be a problem again this year UNLESS one of those guys steps up and becomes a true X receiver. I think there is a very good chance that we win one or two based on personnel but because the Seahawks have 5 10 AM road games against very good teams (You only have one), we could beat you guys twice and you could still win the division.

Always nice to see thoughtful insight from the other side