First off, These are links to the ESPN and NFL Network coverage of the Niner picks. I do this every year, but having 11 picks plus the selection of Marcus Lattimore made me have to break the thing up into 2 parts. LOL.
1) Eric Reid: I know there are some here who didn't like the pick because they think the Niners didn't need top trade up. First off, if Reid was the guy they really wanted, I think they DID need to move. They were anticipating him going soon after...possibly at 21 to Cincy. The got a HUGE discount on that move BTW to only have to give up a 3. As for the player himself, I like him more and more. The guy is a physical freak...fast, big, LONG arms (more on that later), can jump out of the stadium....and most importantly, smart and a character kid. He's the kind of guy you pull for. I know I'll get heat for this, but I actually think he'll eventually be BETTER than Goldson. That, hoever, has more to do with my opinion of Goldson than Reid. As anyone who reads my posts often knows, I wasn't Goldsons biggest fan. I think that front 7 made him look much better and when Justin and Aldon got hurt it exposed him among in the secondary. He wasn't alone in this regard.
Bottom line, I'm excited about Reid. Cyprien was the guy I really wanted, but I trust Baalke and Harbaugh here. I like that Harbaugh knows him as well as he does and it looks like he was banging the tabke for him. I like even more that the pick was a surprise....it seems the 49ers have become really good at masking their true agenda.
2) Tank Carradine: GREAT pick. Eventual replacement for Justin. High motor, LONG arms (hrmmm). He can play this year or not....either way it was a value pick. The guy just looks like a monster out there. He's only scratching the surface as well. Love it.
3) Vance McDonald: I like this one too. When I first heard the pick I didn't have a clue who he was. I have to be honest. After reading a bit about him, it makes alot more sense. ATHLETE. LONG arms (wait....I'm sensing a trend). Was used in a variaty of different ways at Rice...even taking handoffs. Sound familiar? He was the same type of "swiss army knife" type player at Rice that he'll need to be in SF. He won't have Delanies speed which concerns me a bit, but a 6'4" with those incredibly long arms and that vertical jump he's the type of HUGE target out there that Kaep can use. He could be a big option in the Red Zone.
4) Corey Lemonier: Great value pick. Much needed depth at OLB and who know...maybe he develops into more. Athlete....LONG arms (ok, this is getting ridiculous).
5) Quinton Patton: ANOTHER value pick. This is the joy of being able to take the BPA. All of their "needs" were addressed with the first 3 picks. At this point its just take the best guy on your board.
6) Marcus Lattimore: I thought the Niners would take him with this exact pick before the draft. I'd love to stick out my chest on that one but I kinda think I wasn't alone in that thought process. I think ALOT of people saw this one coming. 4th round. Compensatory pick. The placement of the pick and the value of the player just made sense. Obviously a HUGE value pick. I have my issues with Lattimore even if he's healthy in regard to his running style. His legs just kinda look awkward to me...that doesn't matter that much in terms of gaining yards...I just worry that it's a factor in him getting hurt again. Then again, those awkward legs seem to allow him to cut pretty damned fast for a guy his size. Even with my concerns tho...end of 4th round? Wow. Value. He's also much bigger than I thought. I didn't realize he was almost 6' and 220. That makes him a good change of pace when teamed up with Hunter and/or James in a few years.
The other thing that really makes me a fan of the pick is everything I've read about his character.
7) Quinton Dial: To be honest, don't know a ton about him but after just watching his highlights it looks like he's a BIG man with....wait for it......LONG ARMS.
8) Nick Moody, B.J Daniels, Carter Bykowski, Marcus Cooper: I'm not gonna go to in depth on thse simply ecause...well....I don't know enough about any of them to have an educated opinion. It does look to me on the Moody pick that the Niners are making an effort to give Brad Seely the pieces he needs to get that Special Teams back to the way it was in 2011. I think that was also behind the signings of Skuta, Dahl, and of course Dawson.
9) Long Arms: OK, Trent....I'm not really complaining here, but methinks Aldon Smith showed you how dangerous really long arms can be. It almost seems like there was a "Long Arms" box that had to be checked. Come to think of it, both Iupati and Anthony Davis had long arms as well. It seems to be working, so I'm not complaining....but it might explain the 49ers passing on Ertz. Strangely enough, short arms was the criticism of Justin Smith when he was drafted.
10) Value Picks. I am SOOOOOOOO happy to once again be a fan of an organization that "gets it". They understand the draft. The understand value. We won't know for several years just how good this draft was, but right now it looks pretty damn good. On top of that, even after taking 11 players this year they will have AT LEAST 10 more picks again next year. With compensatory picks, we could be looking at 1 or 2 more. Hell, we might even be looking at a compensatory 3....which would net either 2 2's and 3 3's or 1 2 and 4 3's. I mean seriously......the 49ers gave up a 3 this year to move up 13 spots in round one. They then moved back only 6 spots in round 2 and recovered the 3 for next year AND got a 7....and still got Tank.
This is why all the seahawk fans make me laugh when they talk about the 49ers getting older. They just don't get it. In this draft alone we replaced Goldson with a younger player. We replaced Walker with a younger player. We drafted Justins heir appearant. We may have drafted Franks heir appearant. Time will tell if these moves work out, but the Niners are working ahead of time to replace aging players.
They seem to think its just a matter of time before they take back the NFL West because the Niners are gtting old. Not so fast there sparky...we ain't going nowhere.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Apr 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM ]