There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Off-Season Post #2: Thoughts immediately after the draft (plus draft video)...

First off, These are links to the ESPN and NFL Network coverage of the Niner picks. I do this every year, but having 11 picks plus the selection of Marcus Lattimore made me have to break the thing up into 2 parts. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miJSnPZx9Pk&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVxaIytwwak&feature=youtu.be

1) Eric Reid: I know there are some here who didn't like the pick because they think the Niners didn't need top trade up. First off, if Reid was the guy they really wanted, I think they DID need to move. They were anticipating him going soon after...possibly at 21 to Cincy. The got a HUGE discount on that move BTW to only have to give up a 3. As for the player himself, I like him more and more. The guy is a physical freak...fast, big, LONG arms (more on that later), can jump out of the stadium....and most importantly, smart and a character kid. He's the kind of guy you pull for. I know I'll get heat for this, but I actually think he'll eventually be BETTER than Goldson. That, hoever, has more to do with my opinion of Goldson than Reid. As anyone who reads my posts often knows, I wasn't Goldsons biggest fan. I think that front 7 made him look much better and when Justin and Aldon got hurt it exposed him among in the secondary. He wasn't alone in this regard.

Bottom line, I'm excited about Reid. Cyprien was the guy I really wanted, but I trust Baalke and Harbaugh here. I like that Harbaugh knows him as well as he does and it looks like he was banging the tabke for him. I like even more that the pick was a surprise....it seems the 49ers have become really good at masking their true agenda.

2) Tank Carradine: GREAT pick. Eventual replacement for Justin. High motor, LONG arms (hrmmm). He can play this year or not....either way it was a value pick. The guy just looks like a monster out there. He's only scratching the surface as well. Love it.

3) Vance McDonald: I like this one too. When I first heard the pick I didn't have a clue who he was. I have to be honest. After reading a bit about him, it makes alot more sense. ATHLETE. LONG arms (wait....I'm sensing a trend). Was used in a variaty of different ways at Rice...even taking handoffs. Sound familiar? He was the same type of "swiss army knife" type player at Rice that he'll need to be in SF. He won't have Delanies speed which concerns me a bit, but a 6'4" with those incredibly long arms and that vertical jump he's the type of HUGE target out there that Kaep can use. He could be a big option in the Red Zone.

4) Corey Lemonier: Great value pick. Much needed depth at OLB and who know...maybe he develops into more. Athlete....LONG arms (ok, this is getting ridiculous).

5) Quinton Patton: ANOTHER value pick. This is the joy of being able to take the BPA. All of their "needs" were addressed with the first 3 picks. At this point its just take the best guy on your board.

6) Marcus Lattimore: I thought the Niners would take him with this exact pick before the draft. I'd love to stick out my chest on that one but I kinda think I wasn't alone in that thought process. I think ALOT of people saw this one coming. 4th round. Compensatory pick. The placement of the pick and the value of the player just made sense. Obviously a HUGE value pick. I have my issues with Lattimore even if he's healthy in regard to his running style. His legs just kinda look awkward to me...that doesn't matter that much in terms of gaining yards...I just worry that it's a factor in him getting hurt again. Then again, those awkward legs seem to allow him to cut pretty damned fast for a guy his size. Even with my concerns tho...end of 4th round? Wow. Value. He's also much bigger than I thought. I didn't realize he was almost 6' and 220. That makes him a good change of pace when teamed up with Hunter and/or James in a few years.

The other thing that really makes me a fan of the pick is everything I've read about his character.

7) Quinton Dial: To be honest, don't know a ton about him but after just watching his highlights it looks like he's a BIG man with....wait for it......LONG ARMS.

8) Nick Moody, B.J Daniels, Carter Bykowski, Marcus Cooper: I'm not gonna go to in depth on thse simply ecause...well....I don't know enough about any of them to have an educated opinion. It does look to me on the Moody pick that the Niners are making an effort to give Brad Seely the pieces he needs to get that Special Teams back to the way it was in 2011. I think that was also behind the signings of Skuta, Dahl, and of course Dawson.

9) Long Arms: OK, Trent....I'm not really complaining here, but methinks Aldon Smith showed you how dangerous really long arms can be. It almost seems like there was a "Long Arms" box that had to be checked. Come to think of it, both Iupati and Anthony Davis had long arms as well. It seems to be working, so I'm not complaining....but it might explain the 49ers passing on Ertz. Strangely enough, short arms was the criticism of Justin Smith when he was drafted.

10) Value Picks. I am SOOOOOOOO happy to once again be a fan of an organization that "gets it". They understand the draft. The understand value. We won't know for several years just how good this draft was, but right now it looks pretty damn good. On top of that, even after taking 11 players this year they will have AT LEAST 10 more picks again next year. With compensatory picks, we could be looking at 1 or 2 more. Hell, we might even be looking at a compensatory 3....which would net either 2 2's and 3 3's or 1 2 and 4 3's. I mean seriously......the 49ers gave up a 3 this year to move up 13 spots in round one. They then moved back only 6 spots in round 2 and recovered the 3 for next year AND got a 7....and still got Tank.

This is why all the seahawk fans make me laugh when they talk about the 49ers getting older. They just don't get it. In this draft alone we replaced Goldson with a younger player. We replaced Walker with a younger player. We drafted Justins heir appearant. We may have drafted Franks heir appearant. Time will tell if these moves work out, but the Niners are working ahead of time to replace aging players.

They seem to think its just a matter of time before they take back the NFL West because the Niners are gtting old. Not so fast there sparky...we ain't going nowhere.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Apr 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM ]
Get your analysis but there is allot of potential in there and not immediate impact.

With all of our picks (and high ones at that), I expected more impact for this years campaign rather than just for potential.

If Lattimore can come back and stay healthy, I think it makes this draft look so much better but at the moment, I'm not that excited.

I get potential, for example, Reid may be better but he may not? And say what you will but Goldson made impact hits that set the tone in a lot of games and helped make our D a feared unit.

I just can't wait till preseason so I can see them play and I'm sure I'll have a better feeling about this draft at that time.
Great post Marvin49! I do like the way the front office is using the draft and FA to not only to fill holes, but also replace guys with younger, cheaper options when we need too! Go 49ers!
Originally posted by rk1642:
Get your analysis but there is allot of potential in there and not immediate impact.

With all of our picks (and high ones at that), I expected more impact for this years campaign rather than just for potential.

If Lattimore can come back and stay healthy, I think it makes this draft look so much better but at the moment, I'm not that excited.

I get potential, for example, Reid may be better but he may not? And say what you will but Goldson made impact hits that set the tone in a lot of games and helped make our D a feared unit.

I just can't wait till preseason so I can see them play and I'm sure I'll have a better feeling about this draft at that time.

How many starting spots do you see on this team? "Immediate Impact"? Where is there opportunity for it? Good teams don't NEED immediate impact because they plan ahead.

The 49ers lost 2 important pieces. They replaced them both. They addressed OLB depth which was a problem and drafted Justins possible replacement. That replacement (Carradine) will probably be healthy enough to contribute to the rotation this year. Patton and Lattimore were gravy....and FOURTH ROUND PICKS. If you are looking for immediate impact players, you don't typically find them min the 4th round.

There simply aren't that many open spots for a starter.

As for Reid/Goldson, I honestly think Reid will be better. I was hedging my bets there because I dunno if he'll be better as a rookie.
Good post Marv - an I agree.

A few points.

1). It isn't who had the best draft but, IMO, who had a draft that helped their team the best. IMO, we did. We have a Championship caliber roster with guys who earned the priviledge of being a Niner. This draft creates better competition, fills needs adds yout to experience and sets up next draft for success. Not too shabby.

2). Although Vance McD - TE, is not as fast as Delaine and has been reprted to have some dropsies - he is still fast. He was the 2nd fastest TE in the draft and can also block.

3). There seemed to be 2 versions of Eric Reid - the `11 version and the `12 version. If he goes back to te `11 version we hit it out of the park. I feel we have th coaching staff to take him there.

4). We still have a few gems sitting there in FA.
  • CRUD
My thoughts after the draft and trades are niners are going to make total destroy! Seattle is in the sights. Locked and loaded. Superbowl. Only question is Kaep. I love the fact he's our QB but I have a feeling there's a small chance he might have some issues. A very small chance but it's possible. I need to put this feeling into a small box and bury it in my backyard. Maybe smash it with a sledge hammer?
I also think we should factor in guys that we picked LAST year. I think I am seeing that these coaches are looking to give guys a year to sit and learn if they can. So many have written off AJ Jenkins, but I think they were giving him a year to learn. If this is what they are doing with draft picks, how amazing it would be to have a contender, while every year there is a crop of young guys that have learned our system while sitting. Most rookies are not 1st year impact guys..... many, many stars have come out after they sat for a season.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I would have liked to have seen us draft more in the secondary, but I love all of our first 6 picks. I suspect we'll look to improve the secondary in FA and it suggest to me that Woodson may still be on the cards.

I like Dial as well, he's huge and mean and I think he's there to stuff the run. When you think we also signed Dorsey, our d-line and front 7 is shaping up to be possibly the best in the league.

Justin, Dial, Dorsey and Tank all seem to be guys that will need 2 guys blocking them, then you have Aldon and Lemonier coming off the edges - nasty.
Originally posted by ubaisore:
I also think we should factor in guys that we picked LAST year. I think I am seeing that these coaches are looking to give guys a year to sit and learn if they can. So many have written off AJ Jenkins, but I think they were giving him a year to learn. If this is what they are doing with draft picks, how amazing it would be to have a contender, while every year there is a crop of young guys that have learned our system while sitting. Most rookies are not 1st year impact guys..... many, many stars have come out after they sat for a season.

Totally agree. There was alot of criticism about lack of immediate impact from last years class as well.

AJ has been training hard all offseason. We;ll see what happens.
James will be part of the RB rotation when Gore leaves.
Looney was a Tank Carradine style pick...he was hur and he'll play this year. Looney is the reason the team won't resign Leonard Davis.
Flemming and C. Johnson were hurt.

Not sure wat happened with Robinson, but he'll be in the mix next year.

Good teams don't jsut look for immediate satisfactioin fronm their actions. Sometimes they take a guy for potential and then give him a year (couch...Kaepernick....cough).
Originally posted by Buchy:
I would have liked to have seen us draft more in the secondary, but I love all of our first 6 picks. I suspect we'll look to improve the secondary in FA and it suggest to me that Woodson may still be on the cards.

I like Dial as well, he's huge and mean and I think he's there to stuff the run. When you think we also signed Dorsey, our d-line and front 7 is shaping up to be possibly the best in the league.

Justin, Dial, Dorsey and Tank all seem to be guys that will need 2 guys blocking them, then you have Aldon and Lemonier coming off the edges - nasty.

Ray McDonald ain't half bad either.
Thanks for the videos, man! This has the look of a homerun draft. All of our needs were met with talented, productive, high upside players. We'll get immediate impact from Reid, McDonald, and hopefully Carradine. Lemonier, Patton, and Lattimore are all excellent prospects for the future. I love this draft.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

This is why all the seahawk fans make me laugh when they talk about the 49ers getting older. They just don't get it. In this draft alone we replaced Goldson with a younger player. We replaced Walker with a younger player. We drafted Justins heir appearant. We may have drafted Franks heir appearant. Time will tell if these moves work out, but the Niners are working ahead of time to replace aging players.

They seem to think its just a matter of time before they take back the NFL West because the Niners are gtting old. Not so fast there sparky...we ain't going nowhere.
This is why you the man Marvin!!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post Marv - an I agree.

A few points.

1). It isn't who had the best draft but, IMO, who had a draft that helped their team the best. IMO, we did. We have a Championship caliber roster with guys who earned the priviledge of being a Niner. This draft creates better competition, fills needs adds yout to experience and sets up next draft for success. Not too shabby.

2). Although Vance McD - TE, is not as fast as Delaine and has been reprted to have some dropsies - he is still fast. He was the 2nd fastest TE in the draft and can also block.

3). There seemed to be 2 versions of Eric Reid - the `11 version and the `12 version. If he goes back to te `11 version we hit it out of the park. I feel we have th coaching staff to take him there.

4). We still have a few gems sitting there in FA.
Good post and points Vegas...particularly 2) and 3)... V McDonald was flying up draft boards by the time he got picked and rightly so. He is a former WR, a terrific athlete, fast for a TE, very intelligent, very versatile, and of course, has long arms

Reid digressed in 2012 because, IMHO, there were a bunch of new guys in the secondary at LSU and because as a team captain, he probably tried to do too much. That is my guess anyway. The Niner coaches were unanimous in their feeling that he was the best safety prospect in the draft and the numbers tell us he was one of the fastest, most athletic and most intelligent safeties in the draft. I'm quite sure the Niners FO did their due diligence on this guy....and I think you are right. I think eventually he will be better than Goldson...although he may switch to SS pretty soon. He is only a junior and still growing apparently!

More to your point Marvin, I would add versatility, athleticism, speed, and intelligence to the list of attributes the Niners seem to look for in their draft picks....as well as, of course, long arms.

Cheers!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by ubaisore:

Totally agree. There was alot of criticism about lack of immediate impact from last years class as well.

AJ has been training hard all offseason. We;ll see what happens.
James will be part of the RB rotation when Gore leaves.
Looney was a Tank Carradine style pick...he was hur and he'll play this year. Looney is the reason the team won't resign Leonard Davis.
Flemming and C. Johnson were hurt.

Not sure wat happened with Robinson, but he'll be in the mix next year.

Good teams don't jsut look for immediate satisfactioin fronm their actions. Sometimes they take a guy for potential and then give him a year (couch...Kaepernick....cough).
Yup

If a team is being managed properly they must be prepared for losing players they would probably prefer not to ie Goldson. Having trust in the system in place and the ammunition to ensure you have access to the players you desire as replacements remains critical. Baalke is smart and knows that with a talented scouting department in the salary cap era a team is going to have too much talent to keep. He thinks in advance like a chess player. He straight pimps the compensatory system. He trusts that he has assembled a very good coaching staff to ensure the players brought on board excel.

This draft/off season has owned. Baalke and company really deserve a pat on the back for a job well done. We replaced what we lost, plus added depth at positions of need. This team is going to be a nightmare to contend with end of the season.
[ Edited by WINiner on Apr 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Buchy:

Another good post here... My one concern coming out of what looks to be a highly successful draft, is a clear cover CB for the slot. It is now obvious that Rogers, despite his cover skills, is ill-suited for that gig because of a lack of quickness at this point in his career. T Brown had a great season last year and may be a candidate for the slot gig if he is up for it because the Niners signed Nnamdi, who can play the traditional corner position that Brown mans now. Culliver seems to be better suited to the outside position too because of his size. So, if Brown can't cover those quick slot guys (and they just got a lot quicker with guys like P Harvin, T Austin and R Swope in the division now), they are going to need to get a slot cover guy quickly. Go get one Trent!

Cheers!.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Apr 28, 2013 at 5:17 PM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home