LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 198 users in the forums

Off-Season Post #2: Thoughts immediately after the draft (plus draft video)...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Thanks, Marvin. Long arms indeed! One point that is beyond the scope of your topic is that the 9ers now have superb coaches so that they get the most out of their draftees. This wasn't the case a decade ago. Can' t wait to see what Rathman does with Lattimore. And Tomsula with the Nigerian discus thrower who has not even played football! They not only look for long arms but draft for smarts. Reid is an academic all-American and anyone from Rice is super bright.

British...not all back guys with no experience are Nigerian :P
I guess the Hawks had a better draft than us gaiz

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/0
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Thanks, Marvin. Long arms indeed! One point that is beyond the scope of your topic is that the 9ers now have superb coaches so that they get the most out of their draftees. This wasn't the case a decade ago. Can' t wait to see what Rathman does with Lattimore. And Tomsula with the Nigerian discus thrower who has not even played football! They not only look for long arms but draft for smarts. Reid is an academic all-American and anyone from Rice is super bright.

British...not all back guys with no experience are Nigerian :P

His parents are Nigerian though
I have a question for you guys...

I've read a number of people say they wanted Vaccaro. Why?

I'm not knocking him as a player, I'm just curious why people think he's better or a better fit than Reid.

I personally liked Cyprien because I liked his physical style, but I like Reid more and more when I watch him.

Do some peeps just like Vaccaro more because he was the supposedly top ranked safety?
[ Edited by Marvin49 on May 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Where do you get that from? Top 4 didn't change at all.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I have a question for you guys...

I've read a number of people say they wanted Vaccaro. Why?

I'm not knocking him as a player, I'm just curious why people think he's better or a better fit than Reid.

I personally liked Cyprien because I liked his physical style, but I like Reid more and more when I watch him.

Do some peeps just like Vaccaro more because he was the supposedly top ranked safety?
Excellent thread, Marvin, as always.

And you pose a very interesting question.

Vaccaro had a better season last year, but physically, Reid is better--bigger, faster, longer armed. Reid had a great season in 2011, but fell off a bit last year.

Seems to me that both Vaccaro and Reid were top tier safetys in this years draft, but there's not a great big difference between them from what I've seen.

Originally posted by Jcool:

i always heard we had the better draft. when was it the hawks did?
Marvin and OND, vacarro was the consensus pick but my brother and I both saw virtually all of his games. And he did a great job of fooling somebody, because he just wasn't that great a FS. I was afraid trent was going to go up to #15 -20 to get him. Was delighted when someone else got him first. He was not worth moving up 2 slots for , let alone 15. Trent did great, he moved up and took the best FS....Reid.. You watch. Vacarro is going to get picked on this yr a bunch. And you know what? Those teams are going to be successful doing it. I am REALLY glad we didn't get him. Actually, trent is so good I should have known he didn't have vacarro on his board. Sure I would have liked Reid a bit closer to 31. Problem was there were two or three teams that were going to take him before that. So Trent did the right thing. Besides he screwed big jer with just a 3rd rd pick, and then big jer really laid an egg and jumped BACK 3 rds to take his Wisc center in the first at #31. Trent got lucky he was dealing with big jer. I said before, besides the ego b.s., i truly wonder if the guy doesn't have dementia. Seriously.

not draft....they had a better "offseason"...cuz yanno cliff avril is like reggie white and percy harvin makes seattle instantly the SB favorite

but forget that we just played in the SB, added Boldin, Dorsey, Nnamdi and had an amazing draft..
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

not draft....they had a better "offseason"...cuz yanno cliff avril is like reggie white and percy harvin makes seattle instantly the SB favorite

but forget that we just played in the SB, added Boldin, Dorsey, Nnamdi and had an amazing draft..

the media will be the downfall of them hopefully.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Marvin and OND, vacarro was the consensus pick but my brother and I both saw virtually all of his games. And he did a great job of fooling somebody, because he just wasn't that great a FS. I was afraid trent was going to go up to #15 -20 to get him. Was delighted when someone else got him first. He was not worth moving up 2 slots for , let alone 15. Trent did great, he moved up and took the best FS....Reid.. You watch. Vacarro is going to get picked on this yr a bunch. And you know what? Those teams are going to be successful doing it. I am REALLY glad we didn't get him. Actually, trent is so good I should have known he didn't have vacarro on his board. Sure I would have liked Reid a bit closer to 31. Problem was there were two or three teams that were going to take him before that. So Trent did the right thing. Besides he screwed big jer with just a 3rd rd pick, and then big jer really laid an egg and jumped BACK 3 rds to take his Wisc center in the first at #31. Trent got lucky he was dealing with big jer. I said before, besides the ego b.s., i truly wonder if the guy doesn't have dementia. Seriously.
Interesting take on Vaccaro, doc. And based on what you actually saw, not on somebody else's review of a couple snippets of utube tape. Good to know.

Baalke seems to be a master of the draft, and Jerry Jones seems to be the replacement for Al Davis. lol.

The more I think about this offseason, both FA and the draft, the more I cannot wait to see this team in action! So many potentially great additions.

McCoy, Boldin, Morrah, Asomugha, then Reid, Tank, Lemonier, Patton, Daniels, Dial, and McDonald, to name a few!

I see some personnel changes on the horizon.

And I will say it again, as unpopular as it may be, I would not be surprised to see Jennings "retired" as long snapper to make room on the 53 man roster for one of the new guys who is more versatile. We now have 3 or 4 guys with experience at LS, and although none of them may be as experienced and as dependable as Jennings, they are all younger and can contribute to the team in some other way as well. KIlgore and Looney are valuable OL backups, and Looney in particular has the speed to contribute on ST coverage units, even tho he's an OL. McDonald also has the speed, and some experience at LS, and he may actually contribute as a TE, unlike Jennings.

Jennings is the longest tenured Niner, I believe, and has been an excellent long snapper and a great teammate. It would be great to see him get a SB ring before he retires, just as it would be for Gore & J. Smith. But it may be that his time has come, and gone.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on May 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM ]
OND, just that one line is mind bending. McCoy, Boldin, Morrah, Asomugha, Reid, Tank, Lemonier,Patton, Daniels, Dial, and Vance McD...is there any question this will not be a vastly improved team over last yr? Wow!. sure we got a couple guys that may need a yr to come along from injury, and in Tank's case way less...I hope. But the quality of players on this team has just exploded. Just a question. Did everybody else in the NFL get this much better? Ok, did ANYONE else get this much better?

Oops, forgot Dorsey. Jee whiz!
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by rk1642:
Get your analysis but there is allot of potential in there and not immediate impact.

With all of our picks (and high ones at that), I expected more impact for this years campaign rather than just for potential.

If Lattimore can come back and stay healthy, I think it makes this draft look so much better but at the moment, I'm not that excited.

I get potential, for example, Reid may be better but he may not? And say what you will but Goldson made impact hits that set the tone in a lot of games and helped make our D a feared unit.

I just can't wait till preseason so I can see them play and I'm sure I'll have a better feeling about this draft at that time.

How many starting spots do you see on this team? "Immediate Impact"? Where is there opportunity for it? Good teams don't NEED immediate impact because they plan ahead.

The 49ers lost 2 important pieces. They replaced them both. They addressed OLB depth which was a problem and drafted Justins possible replacement. That replacement (Carradine) will probably be healthy enough to contribute to the rotation this year. Patton and Lattimore were gravy....and FOURTH ROUND PICKS. If you are looking for immediate impact players, you don't typically find them min the 4th round.

There simply aren't that many open spots for a starter.

As for Reid/Goldson, I honestly think Reid will be better. I was hedging my bets there because I dunno if he'll be better as a rookie.

That is my concern as well. I disagree with your statement that good teams don't need immediate impact players. By definition you are essentially saying the 9ers will be more than fine with the same team as last year which to me is very far from the truth. But, you are right to say typically you don't find them in the 4th round. That is exactly the problem I have with this draft, in particular I just don't think we did enough on the offensive side of the ball.

They were just showing a replay of the Seattle game here, it was painful to watch, we simply didn't have enough offensive weapons to overwhelm their D. It was further compounded by the loss of Vernon, that was why I was shocked we picked Vance McDonald who is a project and will require a lot of work. All I hope is if some of the back-up WRs can breakthrough in this offseason as it will give us a better chance. But, I just don't know which WR can really stretch the field as an x receiver for the deep ball to give us that added dimension. May be Ricardo if he can make the roster perhaps ? I am also hoping some of these multi-role rookies such as BJ Daniels and MarQueis Gray can give us an x-factor if Greg Roman can get creative with them. Bottomline is our O will have to get better if we are to stay in the hunt in this coming season.
I may be wrong about this, but it seemed to me that of all the top rated safeties, Eric Reid was the only one who was playing the free safety position all the time. Most of the others were playing strong safety. Then, when you add the size factor and the vertical leap, Reid made more sense to me than Vaccaro because Reid is perfect for covering taller tight ends.
Nice point GNielsen, but here is another. My brother and I saw virtually all HORN games including most of vaccarro's, and he WASN'T anywhere near the best FS in the draft. He was the consensus FS, but his games said otherwise. We did just fine, thank you, with Reid. I'm a dyed in the wool HORNS fan, and would have been sick if we drafted vaccarro. I'm glad he went elsewhere.
Share 49ersWebzone