There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Holes remaining in the roster after the draft

  1. Secondary. I'm not the biggest Reid fan, but I wasn't a Goldson fan either. I think he solidifies us, but we lost a play-maker aspect as well. We're still average at CB, and lack for an impact playmaker.
  2. Speed on offense. LMJ and AJJ were added for that last year, and only 1 of them contributed. I love Patton but he's not a burner, and neither is McDonald. I think we'll have guys that could move the chains, but not stretch defenses out the way a Tavon Austin or Hunter would.
  3. Punt returner. Hmmmm.... we should probably do something about that...
  4. Solid OT backup. Somehow I'm not sure that a late 7th rd rookie will be able to fill that void right away
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
  1. Secondary. I'm not the biggest Reid fan, but I wasn't a Goldson fan either. I think he solidifies us, but we lost a play-maker aspect as well. We're still average at CB, and lack for an impact playmaker.
  2. Speed on offense. LMJ and AJJ were added for that last year, and only 1 of them contributed. I love Patton but he's not a burner, and neither is McDonald. I think we'll have guys that could move the chains, but not stretch defenses out the way a Tavon Austin or Hunter would.
  3. Punt returner. Hmmmm.... we should probably do something about that...
  4. Solid OT backup. Somehow I'm not sure that a late 7th rd rookie will be able to fill that void right away

We have sufficient personnel to where I would not term our secondary as having a hole and I would argue that our improved depth and health in the front 7 will allow our secondary to perform splendidly once the newcomers learn our system. We have some very unique players on offense with big play potential and Kaep, VD, LMJ, AJJ (if he can get on the field), Lockette and Kyle Williams when healthy are plenty fast. Yes we need to establish a healthy punt returner rotation and as for OT backup I have to agree.
1) You werent a Goldson fan, yet are upset that we lost a play-maker? Reid does more than solidify us. The coaching staff targeted him, meaning they wanted this guy enough to believe he can come in and be an impact player right away. Secondly, our corners are better than average, Culliver is only going to get better (on the field) and I believe Nnamdi will be a big help now that hes back to playing on-man coverage.

2) Speed on offense??? CK, Hunter, James, Vernon, all keep defenses honest. Yes we could use ONE speedy receiver, but I have a feeling Lockette will step up and be that guy, if not AJ.

3) Kyle Williams is actually solid (sans obvious bad memory) and LMJ will eventually be that guy. Probably this year he will be ready to field punts, also I believe Patton has some experience but I could be wrong

4) I agree with this one, we need a solid swing tackle like Boone was a couple years back
Originally posted by spizzy:
1) You werent a Goldson fan, yet are upset that we lost a play-maker? Reid does more than solidify us. The coaching staff targeted him, meaning they wanted this guy enough to believe he can come in and be an impact player right away. Secondly, our corners are better than average, Culliver is only going to get better (on the field) and I believe Nnamdi will be a big help now that hes back to playing on-man coverage.

2) Speed on offense??? CK, Hunter, James, Vernon, all keep defenses honest. Yes we could use ONE speedy receiver, but I have a feeling Lockette will step up and be that guy, if not AJ.

3) Kyle Williams is actually solid (sans obvious bad memory) and LMJ will eventually be that guy. Probably this year he will be ready to field punts, also I believe Patton has some experience but I could be wrong

4) I agree with this one, we need a solid swing tackle like Boone was a couple years back

  1. I wasn't a huge Goldson fan because while making plays, he also made mistakes. Ideally you have a guy who doesn't make many errors and still makes plays. I don't see Reid making many errors, at least not in the passing game (his angles leave something to be desired in the run game, but he's not bad, just not excellent), but he also doesn't make a ton of game changing plays. He's a pure "safety" valve. Your secondary needs both. A guy like Sherman doesn't allow many passes, and it a play-maker. Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu. Now, I understand these are the elite of the elite, however the point still stands. Our secondary will probably get tighter with coverage with Reid, but will miss this. I'm hoping for Culliver to get better as much as anyone, but the idea that someone will just become better because another year passes is a bit optimistic. I'm still trying to see if he could be consistent. He puts together brilliant games, and then falls apart in others. Lets see consistency before we go out guaranteeing it. Please don't bet on Nnamdi. He's been terrible for 2 years, is older, and is getting paid like a #4 CB. Expecting Nnamdi of 4 years ago will yield disappointment.
  2. Hunter isn't fast. He's quick behind the line of scrimmage and shifty, but he's not a guy to spread defenses out. VD, yes, he's our speed threat. Has been for years. Of course CK, but I'm talking about weapons for him, not just him. Clearly we have the fastest QB in football. As for AJ Jenkins and Lockett, they had a combined 0 catches for 0 yards for us last year. I hope they perform well, but just because we want them to, doesn't mean they will. And where is this Lockett bandwagon coming from? One nice comment by Harbaugh? Come on!
  3. KW is coming off injury, and LMJ has had issues with punts (great with kick-offs though). Patton returned 7 punts in college, averaging 4 yards per. That's the type of average I would expect from Joe Staley or Ray McDonald.

Also, as a response to "The coaching staff targeted him, meaning they wanted this guy enough to believe he can come in and be an impact player right away." -- This goes for every single rookie drafted in the first few rounds. After that you take the guy that falls, but at least at first, every guy is targeted. And as history shows, plenty of those guys don't amount to much -- even those drafted by great coaching staffs.
Originally posted by spizzy:
1) You werent a Goldson fan, yet are upset that we lost a play-maker? Reid does more than solidify us. The coaching staff targeted him, meaning they wanted this guy enough to believe he can come in and be an impact player right away. Secondly, our corners are better than average, Culliver is only going to get better (on the field) and I believe Nnamdi will be a big help now that hes back to playing on-man coverage.

2) Speed on offense??? CK, Hunter, James, Vernon, all keep defenses honest. Yes we could use ONE speedy receiver, but I have a feeling Lockette will step up and be that guy, if not AJ.

3) Kyle Williams is actually solid (sans obvious bad memory) and LMJ will eventually be that guy. Probably this year he will be ready to field punts, also I believe Patton has some experience but I could be wrong

4) I agree with this one, we need a solid swing tackle like Boone was a couple years back

This.

1. Secondary- We will have one of the better pass defenses in the league next year, not because we have the greatest secondary, but because we will have one of, if not the best pass rush. Brown and Rogers are both solid- very good with a good pass rush. Nnamdi and Culliver will be playing elite press coverage with the dominant pass rush that we should have. Reid will be one of the top rookies in this years class, won't be too much of a drop off from Goldson initially. The hole again will be at strong safety. Hopefully Whitner works hard in the offseason on how to cover somebody. Our secondary will only struggle if for some odd ass reason our pass rush struggles, which it shouldn't and better not!

2. Speed on offense- We got plenty of speed at the running back, quarterback, and tight end positions. As long as either AJ jenkins or Lockette step up to the plate, then we have a guy who can stretch the field. Otherwise this is a legitimate concern.

3. Punt Returner- I'm probably in the minority, but still think Ted Ginn is one of the top punt/kick returners in the NFL. Think he was dealing with something last year. He was a homerun threat who could take it the distance at any given time. Think we may miss that. However, if Lamichael can get a feel for catching punts, he should be an excellent option here. Otherwise, Kyle Williams is very solid, just not so much in clutch situations. Also, I believe Patton has some kick return experience, not sure about punt return.

4.Solid OT backup- Out of Looney, kilgore, and that other fat guy we drafted in the 7th round we should be able to figure out some kind of appropriate rotation in case one of our tackles goes down. Boone can kick out to tackle and one of those 3 fat guys should be able to come in and play guard. And if they all suck, hopefully we'd be able to find a solid veteran on the free agent market. But this is an if scenario and thus I'm not too concerned as we are set with our starters.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Apr 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM ]
da butt hole
Pretty sure Person is gone, as in gone since final cutdowns last summer. I could be wrong.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Pretty sure Person is gone, as in gone since final cutdowns last summer. I could be wrong.

Long gone.
1. We'll be just fine in the secondary if the pass rush stays intact--and it certainly should given the upgraded depth.

2. LMJ, Vernon, and hopefully Jenkins steps up. We have plenty of speed and will score plenty of points.

3. Plenty of options here: Kyle Williams, LMJ, Marlon Moore. We could also pick up a veteran later on.

4. Just like last year, Alex Boone will be the backup OT. Most teams only dress 7 OLs on game day, and we seem to have our 7 pretty much settled assuming Looney takes Leonard Davis's spot.
Person was gone last year. They had Netter.
I remember hearing harbaugh say that BJ Daniels will be given a chance to possibly return some punts
Opps I meant daniel kilgore. Getting my fat guys mixed up. Mah bad!
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Apr 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
da butt hole

sign Mark Sanchez!!!
I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about what we are going to do at NT. We picked up a lot of DEs, but with so much invested in ALL PRO LBs, they aren't going to be able to do a lot without an immovable NT in the middle of the 3-4. Like Glen Dorsey, but I'm not convinced he's going to be a dominant NT. That seems like a lot to riding on a high 1st round "bust" that was never a true 3-4 NT.

Are we really going into 2013 with Dorsey and Williams?

Any real NTs left on the FA market?

Any chance we go after Richard Seymour? Sedrick Ellis?
f*ck it - nevermind
[ Edited by Milkman on Apr 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home