Originally posted by spizzy:1) You werent a Goldson fan, yet are upset that we lost a play-maker? Reid does more than solidify us. The coaching staff targeted him, meaning they wanted this guy enough to believe he can come in and be an impact player right away. Secondly, our corners are better than average, Culliver is only going to get better (on the field) and I believe Nnamdi will be a big help now that hes back to playing on-man coverage.
2) Speed on offense??? CK, Hunter, James, Vernon, all keep defenses honest. Yes we could use ONE speedy receiver, but I have a feeling Lockette will step up and be that guy, if not AJ.
3) Kyle Williams is actually solid (sans obvious bad memory) and LMJ will eventually be that guy. Probably this year he will be ready to field punts, also I believe Patton has some experience but I could be wrong
4) I agree with this one, we need a solid swing tackle like Boone was a couple years back
1. Secondary- We will have one of the better pass defenses in the league next year, not because we have the greatest secondary, but because we will have one of, if not the best pass rush. Brown and Rogers are both solid- very good with a good pass rush. Nnamdi and Culliver will be playing elite press coverage with the dominant pass rush that we should have. Reid will be one of the top rookies in this years class, won't be too much of a drop off from Goldson initially. The hole again will be at strong safety. Hopefully Whitner works hard in the offseason on how to cover somebody. Our secondary will only struggle if for some odd ass reason our pass rush struggles, which it shouldn't and better not!
2. Speed on offense- We got plenty of speed at the running back, quarterback, and tight end positions. As long as either AJ jenkins or Lockette step up to the plate, then we have a guy who can stretch the field. Otherwise this is a legitimate concern.
3. Punt Returner- I'm probably in the minority, but still think Ted Ginn is one of the top punt/kick returners in the NFL. Think he was dealing with something last year. He was a homerun threat who could take it the distance at any given time. Think we may miss that. However, if Lamichael can get a feel for catching punts, he should be an excellent option here. Otherwise, Kyle Williams is very solid, just not so much in clutch situations. Also, I believe Patton has some kick return experience, not sure about punt return.
4.Solid OT backup- Out of Looney, kilgore, and that other fat guy we drafted in the 7th round we should be able to figure out some kind of appropriate rotation in case one of our tackles goes down. Boone can kick out to tackle and one of those 3 fat guys should be able to come in and play guard. And if they all suck, hopefully we'd be able to find a solid veteran on the free agent market. But this is an if scenario and thus I'm not too concerned as we are set with our starters.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Apr 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM ]