LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

Holes remaining in the roster after the draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So somebody please tellme the definition of ELITE SPEED? is it 4.4s,4.3s 4.2s ,4.1s which one defines ELITE SPEED?we have Jenkins who runs 4.37 V.D. runs 4.38 Lockette who runs 4.37 0r 9 ....soooooooooooor the se guys speed not considered ELITE?
Defensively, we're set in terms of heading into training cap. How it all shakes out in terms of who starts, we'll have to see, but the quality/depth is definitely there:

McDonald - Williams - Justin
Dial - Dorsey - Tank
Tukuafu - Divens/TJE - Dobbs
Brooks - Willis - Bowman - Aldon
Haralson - Skuda - Moody - Lemonier
Fleming - Wilhoite - Johnson
Nnamdi - Whitner - Reid - Brown
Culliver - Robinson - Spillman - Rogers
Cox - McBath - Dahl - Brock/Cooper
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i just believe the wonderful things we did in free agency and the draft upgrades our pass rush which i believe makes the need for a corner not as high as what we thought it was on the day after the super bowl
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by spizzy:
1) You werent a Goldson fan, yet are upset that we lost a play-maker? Reid does more than solidify us. The coaching staff targeted him, meaning they wanted this guy enough to believe he can come in and be an impact player right away. Secondly, our corners are better than average, Culliver is only going to get better (on the field) and I believe Nnamdi will be a big help now that hes back to playing on-man coverage.

2) Speed on offense??? CK, Hunter, James, Vernon, all keep defenses honest. Yes we could use ONE speedy receiver, but I have a feeling Lockette will step up and be that guy, if not AJ.

3) Kyle Williams is actually solid (sans obvious bad memory) and LMJ will eventually be that guy. Probably this year he will be ready to field punts, also I believe Patton has some experience but I could be wrong

4) I agree with this one, we need a solid swing tackle like Boone was a couple years back

This.

1. Secondary- We will have one of the better pass defenses in the league next year, not because we have the greatest secondary, but because we will have one of, if not the best pass rush. Brown and Rogers are both solid- very good with a good pass rush. Nnamdi and Culliver will be playing elite press coverage with the dominant pass rush that we should have. Reid will be one of the top rookies in this years class, won't be too much of a drop off from Goldson initially. The hole again will be at strong safety. Hopefully Whitner works hard in the offseason on how to cover somebody. Our secondary will only struggle if for some odd ass reason our pass rush struggles, which it shouldn't and better not!

2. Speed on offense- We got plenty of speed at the running back, quarterback, and tight end positions. As long as either AJ jenkins or Lockette step up to the plate, then we have a guy who can stretch the field. Otherwise this is a legitimate concern.

3. Punt Returner- I'm probably in the minority, but still think Ted Ginn is one of the top punt/kick returners in the NFL. Think he was dealing with something last year. He was a homerun threat who could take it the distance at any given time. Think we may miss that. However, if Lamichael can get a feel for catching punts, he should be an excellent option here. Otherwise, Kyle Williams is very solid, just not so much in clutch situations. Also, I believe Patton has some kick return experience, not sure about punt return.

4.Solid OT backup- Out of Looney, kilgore, and that other fat guy we drafted in the 7th round we should be able to figure out some kind of appropriate rotation in case one of our tackles goes down. Boone can kick out to tackle and one of those 3 fat guys should be able to come in and play guard. And if they all suck, hopefully we'd be able to find a solid veteran on the free agent market. But this is an if scenario and thus I'm not too concerned as we are set with our starters.

1. You make a lot of assumptions about guys like Nnamdi playing "elite" press coverage after 2 years of major decline.
2. If AJJ steps up we'll have some speed. He has 0 catches in his career. Yes, Harbaugh said the name Lockett. Other than that, the guy's done nothing yet. Lets not get carried away.
3. "if" again. If James can get a feel for punts we'll be fine. But as of now he doesn't. I can say this about the Jags QB situation: "If Gabbet gets a feel for the pocket and completes more passes with less interceptions then we'll be totally fine at QB." See, its' pretty easy.
4. Having Boone move outside in case of injury constitutes a hole. Solid veteran OTs aren't hanging around the FA market right now... (or ever). Plus, we have exactly no money

Quit your worrying. The season doesn't start for another four months.
1) If Rogers or Nnamdi aren't cutting it, they will be replaced.
2) The Niners have 7 WR's on the depth chart. The best 5 will make it and they will be better than last years group.
3) The Niners have 3 PR options in James, Cox, and Williams. May the best man win.
4) The Niners signed Marquardt as a UDFA to be the swing OT. If he doesn't cut it, they will find someone who will.

They were "out of money" to sign the free agent class till Willis redid his contract to free up some space. They have plenty of options to of the same thing again if needed.

So turn that frown upside down. All is not lost..................especially not before the first of May.

I'm definitely not frowning. I think this team is phenomenal and the fact that I think we only have 4 holes (1 of them for a buckup) is incredible. Most teams have 4-5 times as many. Dallas, for example, needs help all over the O-line, at RB, S, additional pass rushers, DL starters and depth, HC and GM...and I'm not even aware of their special teams situation. That's an avg. 8-8 team.

But to dismiss our holes and suggest that we can "find someone" who can step in and be a stud CB is not realistic. Our secondary is fine. But is currently the weak link. I think it's in the top half of the league, but the rest of the units are top 5 (and often 1) in the NFL. These are what you would call minor holes, but holes non-the-less. And ones not addressed in the draft.

Marquardt, for example, will not be ready to play, or even on the 53 for a few years.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Defensively, we're set in terms of heading into training cap. How it all shakes out in terms of who starts, we'll have to see, but the quality/depth is definitely there:

Dial - Dorsey - Tank
Haralson - Skuda - Moody - Lemonier

I agree with most of your depth chart, but I would put Dorsey ahead of Williams. Also, I think we'll only keep one MLB backup, unless the other presents significant ST value. And I think its ... Skuta not Skuda.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
So somebody please tellme the definition of ELITE SPEED? is it 4.4s,4.3s 4.2s ,4.1s which one defines ELITE SPEED?we have Jenkins who runs 4.37 V.D. runs 4.38 Lockette who runs 4.37 0r 9 ....soooooooooooor the se guys speed not considered ELITE?

AJJ has zero everything (sorry, 1 drop). I'm not writing him off, but after last season it's hard for me to put too much stock in how much he will help our team. My guess is that he starts the season as the #5 or 6 WR. (1-MC, 2-Boldin, 3-Manningham, 4-Patton 5/6 - Williams/AJJ). I think Patton will really impress in camp and get the #4 spot. Lockett will very likely not make the team. When I talk about speed on offense I'm talking about someone like AJ Jenkins...who is actually able to produce! Someone to stretch the defense. Oddly enough, Moss did serve that role last year. He often pulled the safety over the top.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Dial - Dorsey - Tank
Haralson - Skuta - Moody - Lemonier

I agree with most of your depth chart, but I would put Dorsey ahead of Williams. Also, I think we'll only keep one MLB backup, unless the other presents significant ST value. And I think its ... Skuta not Skuda.

Not sure it matters all that much since I think Williams and Dorsey will rotate pretty heavily, but I do see Williams as more of a 1st/2nd down player more so than Dorsey (who strikes me as more of a 3rd down, gap rush kinda guy). You're probably right about keeping 1 MLB on the 53-man roster, which would mean a guy like Moody will probably be a practice-squadder early on. But if Moody flashes on special teams in the pre-season, they might make room for him.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM ]
OK I understandnow,it is not

AJJ has zero everything (sorry, 1 drop). I'm not writing him off, but after last season it's hard for me to put too much stock in how much he will help our team. My guess is that he starts the season as the #5 or 6 WR. (1-MC, 2-Boldin, 3-Manningham, 4-Patton 5/6 - Williams/AJJ). I think Patton will really impress in camp and get the #4 spot. Lockett will very likely not make the team. When I talk about speed on offense I'm talking about someone like AJ Jenkins...who is actually able to produce! Someone to stretch the defense. Oddly enough, Moss did serve that role last year. He often pulled the safety over the top.

that the ELITE SPEED is not there,it is that it has not been productive on the field.I agree Patton will be productive this year very much,andI think Lockettte will make the team and i think they will use him occasionally on some deep go routes and some deep skinny post routes to keep the defense honest,I have faith this year in Jenkins to be more productive due to the work out with lockette Hall and CK plus with the drafting of Patton the skillet has been lit.
OK I understandnow,it is not

that the ELITE SPEED is not there,it is that it has not been productive on the field.I agree Patton will be productive this year very much,andI think Lockettte will make the team and i think they will use him occasionally on some deep go routes and some deep skinny post routes to keep the defense honest,I have faith this year in Jenkins to be more productive due to the work out with lockette Hall and CK plus with the drafting of Patton the skillet has been lit.

Elite speed that is there and is not productive is the Oakland Raiders of a few years back. When I refer to speed I refer to productive players. Just like when I talk about OL depth, I'm talking about quality OL depth, not just depth. Obviously every team has the exact same depth ... 53 players
Originally posted by cciowa:
i just believe the wonderful things we did in free agency and the draft upgrades our pass rush which i believe makes the need for a corner not as high as what we thought it was on the day after the super bowl

I agree with you about the need for corner not being as high as we thought, it was probably an overreaction from the Super Bowl.

However, pre-draft I expected them to take a at least one CB relatively high tbh.

Looking back at the draft though I don't see where we could have taken one and I wouldn't trade who we drafted for a CB at that position (maybe if we hadn't traded up for Reid we could have used the other 3rd, but that is a moot point).

I expect to take 2 CBs in next years draft and at least one in the top 3 rounds.

Share 49ersWebzone