LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 337 users in the forums

Off-Season Post #1: Thoughts on the Off-Season so far (Pre-draft)...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
OK...if he's here for three years, at what price? 6 mil per? Is the #2 WR worth that? Does he have that much left?

I'd love to be wrong here BTW. I just don't think he's going to be huge. He'll contribute, but I'm not expecting a huge year from him.
I think he'll renegotiate sometime soon--for a three or four year deal that cuts his salary this year but guarantees more overall. Say 3.5 to 4 million this year, and three more years for a total contract of $18 million, with $8 million of it guaranteed, and backload it so if he's gone in year 4 there's no dead money there.

And I hate to disagree with you again, but I think Boldin is going to have a huge year this year. Kaep is every bit as good at throwing the ball as Flacco, and found a way to develop chemistry with Crabs almost immediately. I see the same thing happening with Boldin, doubling the open targets for Kaep on passing downs this year.

I hope you're right...but I just don't see it.

Here's hoping I'm wrong!!
Well, we know Boldin hasn't "lost a step" cause he wasn't that fast to begin with.

So he uses his size and route running ability to get open, and he still has the great hands, strength, and warrior mentality.

I can't think of any reason why he shouldn't be as good as he was last season, or even better, once he learns the Niner offense.

If he is as good as he was last year in Baltimore, that's a huge upgrade over what we had behind Crabtree last season.

Manningham is terrific, but seems really fragile. KW is good but small, and Moss was a help but ultimately too old and too focused on Moss.

I understand your caution about being too optimistic in the off season, but Boldin is a difference maker who only cost the Niners a 7th round pick. Hard not to be a little excited about him.

Actually it was a 6.
Marvin, you of all people should know that our current front office is all about building through the draft with some minor additions in free agency. Your "net negative" offseason comment is definitely premature. The Niners will definitely be one of the power players in the next 7-10 days. I would be shocked if they didn't fill all of the major needs and then some next weekend.
I like the Nnamdi and Boldin signings and if those were the only moves we made I would be satisfied to be honest. Good free agency signings are expensive and go against the Baalke approach. We have an assload of chances to make good draft picks and we made a pair of decent signings with great potential. So far it looks like we are gearing up to finally get over the hump and nail another championship. After that this team can build to be dominant long term. I am impressed with the approach so far.
Actually it was a 6.
Right you are, as per usual. Sorry, I shoulda double checked.
OK...if he's here for three years, at what price? 6 mil per? Is the #2 WR worth that? Does he have that much left?

I'd love to be wrong here BTW. I just don't think he's going to be huge. He'll contribute, but I'm not expecting a huge year from him.

And that means its gunna happen right, since you say it wont, just like who your saying were gunna draft.

I think he'll renegotiate sometime soon--for a three or four year deal that cuts his salary this year but guarantees more overall. Say 3.5 to 4 million this year, and three more years for a total contract of $18 million, with $8 million of it guaranteed, and backload it so if he's gone in year 4 there's no dead money there.

And I hate to disagree with you again, but I think Boldin is going to have a huge year this year. Kaep is every bit as good at throwing the ball as Flacco, and found a way to develop chemistry with Crabs almost immediately. I see the same thing happening with Boldin, doubling the open targets for Kaep on passing downs this year.

Well, we know Boldin hasn't "lost a step" cause he wasn't that fast to begin with.

So he uses his size and route running ability to get open, and he still has the great hands, strength, and warrior mentality.

I can't think of any reason why he shouldn't be as good as he was last season, or even better, once he learns the Niner offense.

If he is as good as he was last year in Baltimore, that's a huge upgrade over what we had behind Crabtree last season.

Manningham is terrific, but seems really fragile. KW is good but small, and Moss was a help but ultimately too old and too focused on Moss.

I understand your caution about being too optimistic in the off season, but Boldin is a difference maker who only cost the Niners a 7th round pick. Hard not to be a little excited about him.

Sometimes one must look at what helps contribute to success for players...look around him. In this case, part of Boldin's success was having a burner (Jones on the outside) who could take the top off the defense and a constant threat. So in that regard, that is something Marvin is correct in...right now. Crabtree is a possession WR but our #1 (hate these terms). Boldin will be our #2. VD will be our speedster that defenses always have to respect BUT we have to get him out in the passing game and early (Roman is not great at this). So, to me, the success of both Crabtree and Boldin "may" be more centered on the speed, deep threat and ultra success of our slot receivers in Williams, Manningham and AJ. Another option that may help is another dominant 6'5"+ TE who is just as successful as VD and together, they just blow up the middle of the field and give DC's headaches every game with mismatch nightmares. And then, oh yeah...watch Boldin continue to make those clutch plays and TD's and 3rd downs.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

And that means its gunna happen right, since you say it wont, just like who your saying were gunna draft.

This. Cosigned.
Originally posted by Beeker:
I have to disagree a bit here Marvin. I think Boldin stays for more than one year. I think he's here for 3 years. His biggest asset for the 49ers will be on 3rd down and in the RZ. Toss it up there, and he'll most likely come down with it. That has been a strength of his his entire career. He's big, strong, and has a wrestlers mentality. I can think of a TON of plays last year where it would have been awesome to have Boldin along with Crabs and VD.

Mark my words - 3rd down and RZ.

Other than that, Outstanding edition of the Marvthoirtah Report!

I knew if i pestered him enough he would do one.

You da man!!!
Great job as always Marvin49!
Can't wait to see more of these during the season love reading these

I do like Boldin. Don't get me wrong. The way its been billed tho....Seattle gets Harvin and Niners get Boldin. They are competing right? The moves aren't close to comparable.

Harvin will probably be the #1 in Seattle for the forseeable future. Boldin will probably be around for one year and be a good #2 or #3 option.

I'm not down on the move. I like Boldin...I just don't think it's as big a move as people have made it out to be.

The Ravens wouldn't have even made the playoffs without Boldin. Even if they made the playoffs, they would have been one and done without Boldin. If they miraculously made it to the Super Bowl without him, they would have lost to us. He was the Super Bowl champions MVP, by far.

Flacco is like 120 million dollars in the bank. Take away Boldin, and you take away the bank, and all that's left is 120 million dollars lying in the middle of the street downtown. How long do you think that's going to last?
[ Edited by BrianGO on Apr 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Marvin, you of all people should know that our current front office is all about building through the draft with some minor additions in free agency. Your "net negative" offseason comment is definitely premature. The Niners will definitely be one of the power players in the next 7-10 days. I would be shocked if they didn't fill all of the major needs and then some next weekend.

Well of course!!

I'm just talking about where we stand TODAY. Alot can and will change in the coming weeks and months.

That rule only works for the draft.....and Colin Kaepernick.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Well of course!!

I'm just talking about where we stand TODAY. Alot can and will change in the coming weeks and months.

Don't worry - after the draft, there will be another issue of the Marvthoritah Report out.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Sometimes one must look at what helps contribute to success for players...look around him. In this case, part of Boldin's success was having a burner (Jones on the outside) who could take the top off the defense and a constant threat. So in that regard, that is something Marvin is correct in...right now. Crabtree is a possession WR but our #1 (hate these terms). Boldin will be our #2. VD will be our speedster that defenses always have to respect BUT we have to get him out in the passing game and early (Roman is not great at this). So, to me, the success of both Crabtree and Boldin "may" be more centered on the speed, deep threat and ultra success of our slot receivers in Williams, Manningham and AJ. Another option that may help is another dominant 6'5"+ TE who is just as successful as VD and together, they just blow up the middle of the field and give DC's headaches every game with mismatch nightmares. And then, oh yeah...watch Boldin continue to make those clutch plays and TD's and 3rd downs.

That was my point. It wasn't Moss so much as the way defenses PLAYED Moss. Even tho he didn't get deep very often, he had an effect by forcing them to play off. They also picked up a number of easy first downs because defenders were playing so far off. The REASON he didn't get deep too often is because defenders played off.

Boldin won't get that respect. This doesn't mean the team won't be as good as with Moss, it just means it'll be different.
Share 49ersWebzone