There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Off-Season Post #1: Thoughts on the Off-Season so far (Pre-draft)...

I figured it's been awhile, so what the hell.

1) Kaepernick: I always start with the QB, so I figured I'd be consistent. My initial thought on him is that I love how hard he is taking the loss in the SB. I love that he was in Atlanta a week later. I love that he said yesterday that the final drive wasn't the issue, poor performance in the first half was.

We all got caught up in last season and we had the conversations about who should start, should Alex stay, whose fault were particular losses. I think at some point we kinda lost sight in just how amazing last year was for Kaep. Really young QBs don't just step in mid-season and take their team to the Super Bowl (unless your name is Brady). There are franchises that have been trying for DECADES to find a guy who can do what Kaep did last year. His 10th career start was in the freakin' Super Bowl. It's not like he was just along for the ride either. He was a huge reason WHY they advanced as far as they did. In 2011, the Niners got as far as they did with a "safe" offense, a dominant defense, and the best special teams in the game. Then their special teams let them down when all the marbles were on the table. Last year, the D wasn't so dominant and the ST were FAR from the best. That O had to evolve. It had to become dynamic...and it did. Kaep is a BIG part of the reason why.

Bottom line? Hats of to young Kaepernick. I can't wait to see what you do next.

2) Glenn Dorsey: The further we get away from this signing the more I like it. I don't expect him to suddenly become the guy people thought he would be coming out of LSU, but while people have called him a bust they miss that he did do one thing really well in KC. Stop the Run. That's all we need him to do anyway. I'm not looking at Dorsey as the player he could have been but rather the player he is. He also won't be called on to 2-gap the way he did in KC. I've read online that he'll replace RJF more than Sopoaga, but I'm not so sure about that. Soaps play fell off last year and Dorsey signed for about half of what Soap did in Philly. The Niners struggled last year against teams with big bruising RBs and Dorsey might be a piece of resolving that.

3) Anquan Boldin: I like this move, but I'm not as in love with it as others are. I love Anquan as a player, I'm just not in love with the 6 mil salary and its effect on the rest of the team. Putting him back as the #2 WR like he was in Arizona will help him, but he doesn't stretch the field the way Moss did. Moss wasn't the same guy, but defenses still feared him and gave him huge cushions. Boldin won't see that. I like Boldin as that #2 WR, but they need to make another move on draft day.

4) Colt McCoy: I love this trade and I can't even explain why. LOL. I just trust Harbaugh and Baalke when they make decisions regarding QBs. It's really nice BTW to have a good feeling about the most important position on the field simply because you completely trust the men making those decisions. SOOOOO many teams would die for that. Colt has the ability to be a good pro and Harbaugh will get it out of him.

5) Nnamdi Asomugha: I love this move too, but it isn't because I'm convinced he'll become an All-Pro again. I love it because Nnamdi BADLY wanted to come to SF. He is motivated like never before. He wanted SF so badly he took 1.3 Mil and REQUESTED to guaranteed money. The 49ers can cut him and it wouldn't cost them a dime toward the cap. Can he be an effective player again? We'll find out….and you can be sure we'll get the best of whatever Nnamdi has left.

6) Phil Dawson: Typical Baalke move. Vet Kicker who was just in the Pro Bowl. Got a guy who wants a ring to cap his career.

7) Charles Woodson: I'm including him here because I THINK he'll be in red and gold this year. He just needs to figure out that there isn't a market out there for him with a team with a chance at the title. The draft will take place and he'll see if the market changes. The problem with that is that there are A LOT of safeties in the draft so anyone who needs one will likely get one. Once he sees the market didn't change, I think he'll sign in SF for something close to league minimum. He also won't be guaranteed a roster spot and will compete with whatever safety the Niners will draft. This is just the way Baalke does business. He'll wait. He's patient…and he'll get his man.

8) All of these moves in general: To me, this offseason is a net negative right now. None of these moves are earth shattering. They are just maintenance. They really have yet to address the losses of Walker and Goldson. That's why it's nice to have 13 picks in the draft. ;-) What also cool is that they already have 9 picks next year and will likely get a few good ones for free agent losses. Walker, Goldon, RJF, and Soap all count in the comp pick formula. Gooden and Grant may as well if they sign elsewhere. Dorsey, Dawson, Skuta, and Dahl count against the Niners, but none of those contracts are very big. Add to that the fact that they will likely trade one or 2 picks into next year and we could be looking at this situation again next year.

9) Draft: My favorite time of year…draft season. I expect the Niners to trade und down all over the place. I expect them to select 1 or 2 injured players (Marcus Lattimore?). I expect them to try to find replacements for Dashon, Delanie, and Justin. My guess? Jonathan Cyprien and Margus Hunt. Now that I've said that tho I can almost guarantee it won't happen.

10) "Off-Season Championship": Reports of the Seahawks "passing" the 49ers are greatly exaggerated. The 'hawks are good. Don't get me wrong, but the media is out of control. Harvin is good…but not THAT good. Avril Bennett? There is a reason they're original teams didn't resign them. I do think Winfield is a good move for them tho. Did they have a BAD off-season? No. Not at all…I'm just not buying into the hype. Is Avril better than Clemens? Are they gonna line up 4 DEs on every down? They may have some depth there and that's good, but I'm not buying that they are dramatically better than they were last year.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Apr 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM ]
#3 althouh Boldin doesnt stretch the field like Moss used to he is still a warrior on the field and thats what i really like about the signing his specs are of a tight end playing wide receiver similar to what has been said about vd in the past. I like the fact that unlike moss who gave up on alot of passes Boldin has that fighters heart and will battle whomever he has to for the ball i see this signing being a great response the cbs in the league that take a more physical approach to coverage.

#5 Im not sure if Nnamdi has the all pro in him but of all the teams in the league this one with our style of defense is the best place to find out for sure.

#8 not sure if you fell asleep but Gooden retired.

As usual great job bud i did notice you left out extending Anthony Davis but its still a great report.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

8) All of these moves in general: To me, this offseason is a net negative right now. None of these moves are earth shattering. They are just maintenance. They really have yet to address the losses of Walker and Goldson. That's why it's nice to have 13 picks in the draft. ;-)

Agree with most of it except for this. Goldson is a pretty solid player, but not a particularly important one. Other than his highlight reel hits and solid tackling, he didn't add anything particularly irreplaceable. Walker is a great blocker, but was a complete liability doing anything else. Something that people seem to glaze over is Bruce Miller was a superior run blocker and pass catcher than Delanie Walker, and they played a fairly similar role in the offense. I'm expecting Miller to take a much more prominent role going forward, maybe even using him as an H-back a bit. Really the only thing Walker does better is his speed, which doesn't mean a thing when the player can't catch the ball. I'd prefer we add another tight end in the draft who is a solid pass catcher and adequate run blocker than the opposite like Walker.

Other than that, replacing Sopoaga with anyone is an immediate upgrade, let alone a big run stuffer like Dorsey. Sopoaga was the worst player on our defense last season, and was mostly a liability when he played. Dawson and Boldin are pretty substantial upgrades over Akers and Moss, and I'm hoping Asomugha will beat out Brock/Cox for the 4th CB spot and play more in our Nickel/Dime packages. The other players are mostly upgrades over the players they will presumably replace, other than Dahl.

No, the Niners haven't made any huge splashes with a single player in free agency, but we didn't need to, and the collective additions are significant.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
#3 althouh Boldin doesnt stretch the field like Moss used to he is still a warrior on the field and thats what i really like about the signing his specs are of a tight end playing wide receiver similar to what has been said about vd in the past. I like the fact that unlike moss who gave up on alot of passes Boldin has that fighters heart and will battle whomever he has to for the ball i see this signing being a great response the cbs in the league that take a more physical approach to coverage.

#5 Im not sure if Nnamdi has the all pro in him but of all the teams in the league this one with our style of defense is the best place to find out for sure.

#8 not sure if you fell asleep but Gooden retired.

As usual great job bud i did notice you left out extending Anthony Davis but its still a great report.

#3) I think Boldin will be good....just different. Defenses won't play him off nearly as much.

#5) Agreed

#8) I remember he said he was retiring...and then his agent said he wasn't. I think he'll end up playing if someone offers him a contract.

I left out extending Davis as well as the signings of Skuta and Dahl....not enough space. ;-)

I think Skuta and Dahl...and Dawson for that matter...are all about getting the Special Teams where they were in 2011. Losing Costanzo and a few others had an effect last year.

Resigning Davis is huge. Get him locked up in TODAYS market instead of what the market will be 2 years from now. HUGE.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
In my opinion, the biggest thing is,,,, if the season started today our special teams would be sooooo much better than the special ed teams that walked off the field after the super bowl
Originally posted by Disp:

8) All of these moves in general: To me, this offseason is a net negative right now. None of these moves are earth shattering. They are just maintenance. They really have yet to address the losses of Walker and Goldson. That's why it's nice to have 13 picks in the draft. ;-)

Agree with most of it except for this. Goldson is a pretty solid player, but not a particularly important one. Other than his highlight reel hits and solid tackling, he didn't add anything particularly irreplaceable. Walker is a great blocker, but was a complete liability doing anything else. Something that people seem to glaze over is Bruce Miller was a superior run blocker and pass catcher than Delanie Walker, and they played a fairly similar role in the offense. I'm expecting Miller to take a much more prominent role going forward, maybe even using him as an H-back a bit. Really the only thing Walker does better is his speed, which doesn't mean a thing when the player can't catch the ball. I'd prefer we add another tight end in the draft who is a solid pass catcher and adequate run blocker than the opposite like Walker.

Other than that, replacing Sopoaga with anyone is an immediate upgrade, let alone a big run stuffer like Dorsey. Sopoaga was the worst player on our defense last season, and was mostly a liability when he played. Dawson and Boldin are pretty substantial upgrades over Akers and Moss, and I'm hoping Asomugha will beat out Brock/Cox for the 4th CB spot and play more in our Nickel/Dime packages. The other players are mostly upgrades over the players they will presumably replace, other than Dahl.

No, the Niners haven't made any huge splashes with a single player in free agency, but we didn't need to, and the collective additions are significant.

Well, I wasn't Goldson biggest fan either...but that doesn't mean that they have addressed his absense. I wouldn't be happy with anyone onthe current roster taking that spot. It needs to be addressed.

I actually liked Walker. Yes, he dropped alot of passes...but he was a threat that had to be accounted for. I don't think people realize how big Walker was down the stretch with Kaep. He had the SPEED to force defenses to account for him. Not many TEs have that. This offense is also TE dependant. Could they move away from that and use more multiple WR sets? Sure, but I personally don't want them to. They need another TE...or 2. I like Eifert, but that's probably a pipedream.

Miller is a good player...but he's a true Fullback (which seems odd considering how he started). He's not gonna streak up the field and catch the ball like a TE. He'll make some catches out of the backfield Tom Rathman style, but he's never going to give you what Delanie did.
Originally posted by cciowa:
In my opinion, the biggest thing is,,,, if the season started today our special teams would be sooooo much better than the special ed teams that walked off the field after the super bowl

Agreed.
Good stuff as usual, Marv.

I think you're a little harsh on Anquan Boldin. He was terrific in the playoffs, and obviously still has something left in the tank. And he's a fighter, a warrior. I can't think of a single WR to better go against the CBs in Seattle and their "tough guy" physical cheating . . . er, play. Boldin will make the other receivers better, too, cause defenses won't be able to focus so much on Crabs or VD.

The signing of Nnamdi is a virtually risk free gamble, and if it pays off, it may pay off really huge! I see him taking a starting CB role, and pushing someone to the bench or maybe to FS. And I think the secondary is gonna be different, and improved--more press coverage, which should allow for more ILB blitzing. And I agree with you about Woodson--maybe a later signing, but Baalke is a patient guy, like you said.

• cciowa
  • Veteran

Agreed.
i think boldin is a big upgrade over moss. and i liked moss last year till the super bowl. i like the fact we have someone who can be physical and can leap and get the ball.

I actually liked Walker. Yes, he dropped alot of passes...but he was a threat that had to be accounted for. I don't think people realize how big Walker was down the stretch with Kaep. He had the SPEED to force defenses to account for him. Not many TEs have that. This offense is also TE dependant. Could they move away from that and use more multiple WR sets? Sure, but I personally don't want them to. They need another TE...or 2. I like Eifert, but that's probably a pipedream.

Walker wasn't all bad in the passing game, but I think you're overvaluing him a lot. He had 3 dropped passes in the first half of the GB playoff game when the game was still tied, and dropped an easy touchdown catch against the Rams. If we need a receiver who can be nothing more than a decoy and spread out the defense with his speed, then we can just plug in Ricardo Lockette.

Miller is a good player...but he's a true Fullback (which seems odd considering how he started). He's not gonna streak up the field and catch the ball like a TE. He'll make some catches out of the backfield Tom Rathman style, but he's never going to give you what Delanie did.

miller definetely is a rare case especially considering he never played fullback until he was drafted and he played de/lb his whole college career.

1) Kaepernick: I always start with the QB, so I figured I'd be consistent. My initial thought on him is that I love how hard he is taking the loss in the SB. I love that he was in Atlanta a week later. I love that he said yesterday that the final drive wasn't the issue, poor performance in the first half was.

We all got caught up in last season and we had the conversations about who should start, should Alex stay, whose fault were particular losses. I think at some point we kinda lost sight in just how amazing last year was for Kaep. Really young QBs don't just step in mid-season and take their team to the Super Bowl (unless your name is Brady). There are franchises that have been trying for DECADES to find a guy who can do what Kaep did last year. His 10th career start was in the freakin' Super Bowl. It's not like he was just along for the ride either. He was a huge reason WHY they advanced as far as they did. In 2011, the Niners got as far as they did with a "safe" offense, a dominant defense, and the best special teams in the game. Then their special teams let them down when all the marbles were on the table. Last year, the D wasn't so dominant and the ST were FAR from the best. That O had to evolve. It had to become dynamic...and it did. Kaep is a BIG part of the reason why.

2) Glenn Dorsey: The further we get away from this signing the more I like it. I don't expect him to suddenly become the guy people thought he would be coming out of LSU, but while people have called him a bust they miss that he did do one thing really well in KC. Stop the Run. That's all we need him to do anyway. I'm not looking at Dorsey as the player he could have been but rather the player he is. He also won't be called on to 2-gap the way he did in KC. I've read online that he'll replace RJF more than Sopoaga, but I'm not so sure about that. Soaps play fell off last year and Dorsey signed for about half of what Soap did in Philly. The Niners struggled last year against teams with big bruising RBs and Dorsey might be a piece of resolving that.

3) Anquan Boldin: I like this move, but I'm not as in love with it as others are. I love Anquan as a player, I'm just not in love with the 6 mil salary and its effect on the rest of the team. Putting him back as the #2 WR like he was in Arizona will help him, but he doesn't stretch the field the way Moss did. Moss wasn't the same guy, but defenses still feared him and gave him huge cushions. Boldin won't see that. I like Boldin as that #2 WR, but they need to make another move on draft day.

4) Colt McCoy: I love this trade and I can't even explain why. LOL. I just trust Harbaugh and Baalke when they make decisions regarding QBs. It's really nice BTW to have a good feeling about the most important position on the field simply because you completely trust the men making those decisions. SOOOOO many teams would die for that. Colt has the ability to be a good pro and Harbaugh will get it out of him.

5) Nnamdi Asomugha: I love this move too, but it isn't because I'm convinced he'll become an All-Pro again. I love it because Nnamdi BADLY wanted to come to SF. He is motivated like never before. He wanted SF so badly he took 1.3 Mil and REQUESTED to guaranteed money. The 49ers can cut him and it wouldn't cost them a dime toward the cap. Can he be an effective player again? We'll find out….and you can be sure we'll get the best of whatever Nnamdi has left.

6) Phil Dawson: Typical Baalke move. Vet Kicker who was just in the Pro Bowl. Got a guy who wants a ring to cap his career.

7) Charles Woodson: I'm including him here because I THINK he'll be in red and gold this year. He just needs to figure out that there isn't a market out there for him with a team with a chance at the title. The draft will take place and he'll see if the market changes. The problem with that is that there are A LOT of safeties in the draft so anyone who needs one will likely get one. Once he sees the market didn't change, I think he'll sign in SF for something close to league minimum. He also won't be guaranteed a roster spot and will compete with whatever safety the Niners will draft. This is just the way Baalke does business. He'll wait. He's patient…and he'll get his man.

8) All of these moves in general: To me, this offseason is a net negative right now. None of these moves are earth shattering. They are just maintenance. They really have yet to address the losses of Walker and Goldson. That's why it's nice to have 13 picks in the draft. ;-) What also cool is that they already have 9 picks next year and will likely get a few good ones for free agent losses. Walker, Goldon, RJF, and Soap all count in the comp pick formula. Gooden and Grant may as well if they sign elsewhere. Dorsey, Dawson, Skuta, and Dahl count against the Niners, but none of those contracts are very big. Add to that the fact that they will likely trade one or 2 picks into next year and we could be looking at this situation again next year.

9) Draft: My favorite time of year…draft season. I expect the Niners to trade und down all over the place. I expect them to select 1 or 2 injured players (Marcus Lattimore?). I expect them to try to find replacements for Dashon, Delanie, and Justin. My guess? Jonathan Cyprien and Margus Hunt. Now that I've said that tho I can almost guarantee it won't happen.

10) "Off-Season Championship": Reports of the Seahawks "passing" the 49ers are greatly exaggerated. The 'hawks are good. Don't get me wrong, but the media is out of control. Harvin is good…but not THAT good. Avril Bennett? There is a reason they're original teams didn't resign them. I do think Winfield is a good move for them tho. Did they have a BAD off-season? No. Not at all…I'm just not buying into the hype. Is Avril better than Clemens? Are they gonna line up 4 DEs on every down? They may have some depth there and that's good, but I'm not buying that they are dramatically better than they were last year.
Thanks Marvin, I always enjoy your analysis. Any thoughts on the draft of what you think they will do?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Thanks Marvin, I always enjoy your analysis. Any thoughts on the draft of what you think they will do?

As I stated before....my guess is Hunt and Cyprien with those first 2 picks. You have to understand tho that all that means is that niether Cyprien or Hunt will ever be 49ers. ;-)

I think the only picks I've been right about EVER were Crabtree and Vernon.
Originally posted by Disp:

Walker wasn't all bad in the passing game, but I think you're overvaluing him a lot. He had 3 dropped passes in the first half of the GB playoff game when the game was still tied, and dropped an easy touchdown catch against the Rams. If we need a receiver who can be nothing more than a decoy and spread out the defense with his speed, then we can just plug in Ricardo Lockette.

Thats my point tho...I don't want to just substitute a WR for him. We need another TE who could do what he did. Thats a BIG part of the offense.

If you just put a WR in the D will counter with a faster DB. With Walker, they had to decide...LB or DB. Of you go DB they can run it right at you. If you go LB then Delanie would just outrun them. THAT is what we are losing. Thats what I want to see them replace.

Agreed.
i think boldin is a big upgrade over moss. and i liked moss last year till the super bowl. i like the fact we have someone who can be physical and can leap and get the ball.

I agree....I'm just sayin defenses will defend him differently than Moss.