There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eric Branch: G Mike Iuputi "Next In Line" For A Contract Extension

Eric Branch: G Mike Iuputi "Next In Line" For A Contract Extension

You mean we want to resign one of the best guards in football whose coming into his prime years? Why?
Originally posted by T-9ers:
You mean we want to resign one of the best guards in football whose coming into his prime years? Why?

I understand that the cap is going to have to be very carefully managed from now on. And I understand that guards, in general, are not considered the most important position in this regard. But Iupati will be, in my opinion, one of the very best at his position (injuries permitting) for years. Whilst the tackle position is more difficult to fill, a guard of Iupati's ability and youth is not far behind. And keeping a strong O line together is really important.
I don't think Iupati deserves top $$$. But if we can give him top 12-15 money that should be enough. Remember guys he did struggle the most of any of our O-lineman this season.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I don't think Iupati deserves top $$$. But if we can give him top 12-15 money that should be enough. Remember guys he did struggle the most of any of our O-lineman this season.

He was our best lineman this year.
I don't know I thought he was best in 2011, then either 2012 or 2010. Still was very solid every year though. Definitely would say he deserves more than top 12-15, I'd say he is in the top 5-8 guards in the league but that doesn't mean he will get paid like that. He can make a lot more by going elsewhere in a few years. Re-signing here he would have to take a discount. Probably 5 mil total over 5 years. I'd say 5 years, 35-37 mil is fair. Wouldn't go higher than 38 or so. Nicks got 5 years, 47.5 mil and Levitre got 6 years 46.8 but that's desperate teams overpaying. Others: Grubbs 5 yr 36 mil, Marshall Yanda signed 5 years, 32 mil but hat was a few years ago.

Wouldn't be surprised if we had to choose between him and Davis and we made our choice. If that is the case then we could move Boone to LG after 2014 (when iupati leaves) and draft a rg or fill in with someone on the roster.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM ]
Bump to accompany "Iuputi talks begin" thread
Not sure we need this thread anymore but we could turn it into a discussion of who else gets extended. Right now if we sign Iupati it seems like we can kiss Crabtree goodbye after 2 more seasons. Doubt we let Aldon walk and for sure wouldn't let Kap leave if he keeps his play up.
Ok I will lock it. Feel free to set up a fresh thread for other aspects.

Sign that contract, Mike!