LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 335 users in the forums

Eric Branch: G Mike Iuputi "Next In Line" For A Contract Extension

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Eric Branch: G Mike Iuputi "Next In Line" For A Contract Extension

I fully subscribe to the game is won in the trenches philosophy. Get Big Mike extended and keep this dominant O-line together for years to come.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Kaep and Aldon will be extened, but they aren't next in line becaus it can't be done till after next season with them.

There is a clause in the CBA that allows teams to add another year to the contract of a first round pick.

If it is necessary the team can push Aldon's free agency to 2016, and gain time in signing him.

Aldon's salary for the extra year would be the average salary of the top ten players at his position.

I do not understand the salary cap implications of exercising this option, but the option is there.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 11, 2013 at 8:00 PM ]
Buck, after following the NFL since the Mud bowl in NY in 1956, I have never heard of this provision. Thanks, hombre, for the education. Fascinating and makes one wonder what exactly was the reasoning behind this.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Buck, after following the NFL since the Mud bowl in NY in 1956, I have never heard of this provision. Thanks, hombre, for the education. Fascinating and makes one wonder what exactly was the reasoning behind this.

The provision never existed before the new CBA. So, it has around for about two years.

As I recollect, the teams wanted relief from the skyrocketing costs of rookies and the union wanted players to have a better chance to hit the free agency.
Thanks, amigo.
Doc, Basically for a 1st rd pick, they could hit free agency after year 4 if the option is NOT picked up, but if it is the team pays the players top 10 money for top 15 picks, and then rest of rd 1 is Top 25 money.

Iupati is from my Alma Mater. Would love to see him retire as a 49er.

And LOL at the thought of not signing Aldon. We have been looking for a pass rusher like Aldon for over a decade. The kid still has tons of potential for growth, and may very well end up as one of the greatest pass rushers in NFL history when all is said and done. No way he walks.
If we do re-sign him I would like something like 5 years 30-32 million. However, it would be something like 5 years 35-40 mil. If he hits the open market in a few years if it's as crazy as it is now he could probably get like 5 years 50-55 million. If we can afford him and think the cap will go up I say go for it. Might not be able to though as Kap and Aldon will cost a lot. Crabtree could be gone. Might have to re-sign Culliver who wouldn't be cheap if he becomes our #1 or #2. Bruce Miller as well although FB are cheap. Possibly Kendall Hunter... just seems like we will lose 2-3 of those guys after 2014 (could tag one for 2015) so hopefully we can get it done this year or next. Not saying we won't still be in it 2015 and beyond... as long as Kap keeps it up and we have Harbaugh/Baalke we should be in it but 2011-2014 might be (or have been) our best chances.
The way I see it, this is my plan,

Sign Mike Iupati, 5yr extension on top of 2013, similar deal to Davis'. $37M in new money, $7.5M signing bonus, $1M roster bonuses, guarantees in base salaries based on being on roster on April 1 of each year.

Sign Kap after 2013 to a 6yr $110M deal, or 4yr $68M deal, whichever Kap goes for better.

Wait for 2015 offseason,

Sign Aldon Smith to a 6yr deal worth $55M.

Signed Chris Culliver to a 4yr deal worth $25M (Based on him having a good/great 2 seasons in 2013 and 2014)

Sign Bruce Miller to a 3yr deal worth $1.5M a yr

Franchise Crabtree, work on an extension, if none, then try and trade him for something, rather get a 2nd or even a 1st if possible then lose in FA and wait for a comp pick.

Other signings, Hunter for $1.25M a yr, Kilgore depends on if he is starter, if so then $2M a yr, or $1.5M as 6th OL.

Jennings back on 1 or 2 yr deals depending on how longer he wants to stay.

Also somewhere we need to extend Justin Smith.
  • thl408
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Sign Mike Iupati, 5yr extension on top of 2013, similar deal to Davis'. $37M in new money, $7.5M signing bonus, $1M roster bonuses, guarantees in base salaries based on being on roster on April 1 of each year.

Sign Kap after 2013 to a 6yr $110M deal, or 4yr $68M deal, whichever Kap goes for better.

Wait for 2015 offseason,

Signed Chris Culliver to a 4yr deal worth $25M (Based on him having a good/great 2 seasons in 2013 and 2014)

Franchise Crabtree, work on an extension, if none, then try and trade him for something, rather get a 2nd or even a 1st if possible then lose in FA and wait for a comp pick.

Other signings, Hunter for $1.25M a yr, Kilgore depends on if he is starter, if so then $2M a yr, or $1.5M as 6th OL.

That's a lot of signing and no releases. What losses should we expect? Goodwin, Rogers, Whitner off the books. Brown, Dorsey, and Manningham are either gone or on the bubble.

Originally posted by thl408:

Wait for 2015 offseason,

That's a lot of signing and no releases. What losses should we expect? Goodwin, Rogers, Whitner off the books. Brown, Dorsey, and Manningham are either gone or on the bubble.

Good catch, forgot the cuts and none re-signs.

Cut Rogers
Let Goodwin, whitner go.

I want Brown back, but he will get overpaid.

Dorsey I would keep depending on how he plays for us. I want him more than 2 yrs here.

Also Asomugha stays if he plays well. Same for Dawson.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Apr 13, 2013 at 9:56 PM ]
We got to have Iupati IMO. Aldon and Kaep also. Crabtree is just gone. Face it. We aren't going to be able to keep him. Carlos Rogers will be gone after next year also. So I think minus Rogers and minus Crabtree is where we get the cap room from.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We got to have Iupati IMO. Aldon and Kaep also. Crabtree is just gone. Face it. We aren't going to be able to keep him. Carlos Rogers will be gone after next year also. So I think minus Rogers and minus Crabtree is where we get the cap room from.

Crabs will probably have to take a lower offer then he will get in free agency to stay.
Originally posted by thl408:

Wait for 2015 offseason,

Good catch, forgot the cuts and none re-signs.

Cut Rogers
Let Goodwin, whitner go.

I want Brown back, but he will get overpaid.

Dorsey I would keep depending on how he plays for us. I want him more than 2 yrs here.

Also Asomugha stays if he plays well. Same for Dawson.

Loosing Rogers, Goodwin and Whitner doesn't even pay for Kap's contract alone.

With worse numbers, in 2009, DeMarcus Ware singed a 7 yr / $78 million dollar contract. Six years later, Aldon Smith will sign for less?
Mario Williams signed a 6 yr $96 million dollar contract in 2012. In 2015 we will be lucky if Aldon's agent asks for that.

Who do we cut to sign Iupati? Who do we cut to sign Aldon? We're going to have to cut / release a LOT more players than that. I think there is a reason this year's free agent signings have been for 2 years or less.
Front office is going to have to make a lot of hard decisions coming up. That's the problem with having so many top picks that actually produce at a high level all at the same time. We're going to lose some key players. I have no issue with signing out linemen...we will have the best line in the league for years to come.
Share 49ersWebzone