LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 168 users in the forums

My take on the next 2 offseasons

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The 2014 offseason is just as much as a key offseason as 2015 is, we have several quality players unsigned, including WR Anquan Boldin, WR Mario Manningham, DE Justin Smith, and CB Tarell Brown. Plus uys signed this offseason like CB Nnamdi Asomugha, and PK Phil Dawson.

It will likely come down to the 49ers choosing between Brown and Asomugha, depending on how well Asomugha plays in 2013. Plus Carlos Rogers has a $6.25 million base salary, which is to high, so he may needs to be addressed, either a pay cut or released.

I expect, with no other moves being made, the 49ers to have between $26 and $30 million to start the free agency period, and that is without factoring in a possible pay cut for Rogers. Of course the 49ers may extend Justin Smith, or maybe even have in order to fit Anthony Davis' possible signing bonus under the 2013 cap.

Some of the higher base salaries in 2014 include, over $1 million,

Carlos Rogers - $6.25 million
Patrick Willis - $5.285 million
Ahmad Brooks - $5.15 million (Can decrease due to low sack totals in 2013)
Vernon Davis - $4.7 million
NaVorro Bowman - $4 million
Michael Crabtree - $3.5 million
Ray McDonald - $3.5 million
Frank Gore - $3.3 million
Joe Staley - $2.7 million
Aldon Smith - $2,336,454
Glenn Dorsey - $2.3 million
Andy Lee - $1.9 million
Mike Iupati - $1,600,500
Craig Dahl - $1.35 million
Dan Skuta - $1.3 million
C.J. Spillman - $1.225 million
Brian Jennings - $1.035 million
A.J. Jenkins - $1,021,594

And guys making just under $1 million, who will need extensions soon.

Colin Kaepernick - $973,766
Alex Boone - $950,000

NOTE: I am unsure of what Anthony Davis' 2014 base salary is as of now, may still be $1,073,600, or lower/higher, not sure at this time.

Also note that the 49ers have 6 players signed for $495,000 each, or $2.97 million total, those players are, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Al Netter, Nate Stupar, Michael Thomas, Wayne Tribue, and Kenny Wiggins. I don't see them all making the 2013 roster, and likely most won't make it. The 49ers also have Lamar Divens signed for $645,000, and Ricardo Lockette for $570,000. Lockette has a good shot at the 2013 roster, as he is a sleeper.

Now lets take a look at 2015 offseason, I have the 49ers at $57.605 million under the cap, I expect around that much, with Rogers not seeing his $7.25 million base salary. Plus I see some players taking pay cuts, and extensions in the process, but I will address that later.

Players with a $1 million or more base salary in 2015.

Patrick Willis - $7.605 million
Carlos Rogers - $7.25 million
Ahmad Brooks - $6 million (Can also decrease due to low sack totals in 2014)
NaVorro Bowman - $4.7 million
Joe Staley - $4.5 million
Vernon Davis - $4.35 million
Ray McDonald - $4.1 million
Andy Lee - $2.05 million
Craig Dahl - $1.4 million
Alex Boone - $1.2 million
Ian Williams - $1 million

NOTE that A.J. Jenkins makes a $660,000 base salary, and a non guaranteed $677,309 roster bonus, which is why he doesn't have a $1 million or more base salary like in 2014.

Also don't know Anthony Davis' 2015 base salary yet, but should soon.

Now we have plenty of talent unsigned for 2015, namely QB Colin Kaepernick, RB Kendall Hunter, RB Frank Gore, FB Bruce Miller, WR Michael Crabtree, C Daniel Kilgore, LG Mike Iupati, NT/DE Glenn Dorsey, OLB Aldon Smith, ILB Dan Skuta, CB Chris Culliver, FS C.J. Spillman, and LS Brian Jennings.

I expect the 49ers to retain Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, most likely before 2015 offseason begins. Also Culliver is a good bet to be back, as Rogers is likely gone by 2015. Also look for contracts for Jennings, and Boone. Kilgore, Miller and Hunter would be smaller type deals, but still would be a cap friendly.

The most tough to gauge are Crabtree and Iupati, as both could command too much, or the 49ers don't value either or both as high as other teams might.

Skuta and Dorsey could be back if they out perform their free agent signed deals.

I would like to see Willis and Vernon Davis extended between now and 2015, to help cap wise, and keep the foundation together.

Now hopefully we see a core of these players signed long term.

QB Kaepernick
RB James
RB Hunter
FB Miller
WR Crabtree
WR Jenkins (Hopefully he works out)
TE Davis
LT Staley
RT Davis
RG Boone
LG Iupati
C Kilgore
C/OG Looney
DE Smith (For however long he wants to stay and play)
DE McDonald
NT Dorsey
NT Williams
OLB Brooks (Hopefully he plays better, and earns his deal)
OLB Smith
ILB Willis
ILB Bowman
ILB Skuta (Core ST player)
CB Culliver
CB Brown
CB Asomugha
FS Dahl (Hoping he proves people wrong)
FS Spillman (Core ST player)
P Lee
LS Jennings (For however long he wants to play, worth the $$$)

Of course we will see draft picks brought in, and hopefully they show something, namely at DL and FS and SS.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
The 2014 offseason is just as much as a key offseason as 2015 is, we have several quality players unsigned, including WR Anquan Boldin, WR Mario Manningham, DE Justin Smith, and CB Tarell Brown. Plus uys signed this offseason like CB Nnamdi Asomugha, and PK Phil Dawson.

It will likely come down to the 49ers choosing between Brown and Asomugha, depending on how well Asomugha plays in 2013. Plus Carlos Rogers has a $6.25 million base salary, which is to high, so he may needs to be addressed, either a pay cut or released.

I expect, with no other moves being made, the 49ers to have between $26 and $30 million to start the free agency period, and that is without factoring in a possible pay cut for Rogers. Of course the 49ers may extend Justin Smith, or maybe even have in order to fit Anthony Davis' possible signing bonus under the 2013 cap.

Aldon Smith - $2,336,454
Andy Lee - $1.9 million
Mike Iupati - $1,600,500
Dan Skuta - $1.3 million

Alex Boone - $950,000

NOTE: I am unsure of what Anthony Davis' 2014 base salary is as of now, may still be $1,073,600, or lower/higher, not sure at this time.

Also note that the 49ers have 6 players signed for $495,000 each, or $2.97 million total, those players are, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Al Netter, Nate Stupar, Michael Thomas, Wayne Tribue, and Kenny Wiggins. I don't see them all making the 2013 roster, and likely most won't make it. The 49ers also have Lamar Divens signed for $645,000, and Ricardo Lockette for $570,000. Lockette has a good shot at the 2013 roster, as he is a sleeper.

Now lets take a look at 2015 offseason, I have the 49ers at $57.605 million under the cap, I expect around that much, with Rogers not seeing his $7.25 million base salary. Plus I see some players taking pay cuts, and extensions in the process, but I will address that later.

Andy Lee - $2.05 million

NOTE that A.J. Jenkins makes a $660,000 base salary, and a non guaranteed $677,309 roster bonus, which is why he doesn't have a $1 million or more base salary like in 2014.

Now we have plenty of talent unsigned for 2015, namely QB Colin Kaepernick, RB Kendall Hunter, RB Frank Gore, FB Bruce Miller, WR Michael Crabtree, C Daniel Kilgore, LG Mike Iupati, NT/DE Glenn Dorsey, OLB Aldon Smith, ILB Dan Skuta, CB Chris Culliver, FS C.J. Spillman, and LS Brian Jennings.

I expect the 49ers to retain Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, most likely before 2015 offseason begins. Also Culliver is a good bet to be back, as Rogers is likely gone by 2015. Also look for contracts for Jennings, and Boone. Kilgore, Miller and Hunter would be smaller type deals, but still would be a cap friendly.

The most tough to gauge are Crabtree and Iupati, as both could command too much, or the 49ers don't value either or both as high as other teams might.

Skuta and Dorsey could be back if they out perform their free agent signed deals.

I would like to see Willis and Vernon Davis extended between now and 2015, to help cap wise, and keep the foundation together.

QB Kaepernick
RB James
RB Hunter
FB Miller
WR Crabtree
TE Davis
LT Staley
RT Davis
RG Boone
LG Iupati
C Kilgore
C/OG Looney
DE McDonald
NT Dorsey
NT Williams
OLB Smith
ILB Willis
ILB Bowman
CB Culliver
CB Brown
CB Asomugha
P Lee

Of course we will see draft picks brought in, and hopefully they show something, namely at DL and FS and SS.

Great work as always - we as Niner fans appreciate it in understanding where the team is vs. the salary cap. Hopefully, they can retain all/most of their core players over the upcoming years. I want to somehow see all of the core players re-signed, hopefully sooner than later like we just did w/ A. Davis. It seems like this can happen and is what they're planning for as they don't go after the big-money free agents (I'm all for instead spending money on retaining the top talent they currently have, keeping team continuity/unity, etc., especially for those we've drafted like Iupati, Crabtree, Kap, etc.). I do think Crabtree might be a little tough to keep, but hopefully he sees the longer-term potential for him and the team w/ Kap at QB.

One thing I wish the NFL would allow for in future salary cap years (but I know it has to be collectively agreed upon in the CBA)...I wish that there would be some type of team exception or "relief" for players drafted by that team where they could pay that player what it took to retain them but not have that figure count as much against the cap since it's talent drafted vs. talent acquired in free agency or otherwise. That way, teams that continue to draft well won't be penalized for their abilities to recognize and also develop talent - they would thus have a better chance of retaining "their" talent (assuming they can still afford to pay them). Just a thought that would definitely benefit a team like the Niners, but it would also lead to more team continuity and team "identification" overall as more top players become identified with the teams that drafted them. It's something I wish the league and its players would look at some day.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Aldon Smith - $2,336,454
Andy Lee - $1.9 million
Mike Iupati - $1,600,500
Dan Skuta - $1.3 million

Alex Boone - $950,000

Andy Lee - $2.05 million

QB Kaepernick
RB James
RB Hunter
FB Miller
WR Crabtree
TE Davis
LT Staley
RT Davis
RG Boone
LG Iupati
C Kilgore
C/OG Looney
DE McDonald
NT Dorsey
NT Williams
OLB Smith
ILB Willis
ILB Bowman
CB Culliver
CB Brown
CB Asomugha
P Lee

Great work as always - we as Niner fans appreciate it in understanding where the team is vs. the salary cap. Hopefully, they can retain all/most of their core players over the upcoming years. I want to somehow see all of the core players re-signed, hopefully sooner than later like we just did w/ A. Davis. It seems like this can happen and is what they're planning for as they don't go after the big-money free agents (I'm all for instead spending money on retaining the top talent they currently have, keeping team continuity/unity, etc., especially for those we've drafted like Iupati, Crabtree, Kap, etc.). I do think Crabtree might be a little tough to keep, but hopefully he sees the longer-term potential for him and the team w/ Kap at QB.

One thing I wish the NFL would allow for in future salary cap years (but I know it has to be collectively agreed upon in the CBA)...I wish that there would be some type of team exception or "relief" for players drafted by that team where they could pay that player what it took to retain them but not have that figure count as much against the cap since it's talent drafted vs. talent acquired in free agency or otherwise. That way, teams that continue to draft well won't be penalized for their abilities to recognize and also develop talent - they would thus have a better chance of retaining "their" talent (assuming they can still afford to pay them). Just a thought that would definitely benefit a team like the Niners, but it would also lead to more team continuity and team "identification" overall as more top players become identified with the teams that drafted them. It's something I wish the league and its players would look at some day.

Agreed good work AB. Looks like our cap will be healthy going forward which bodes well for maintaining an elite roster.

Lott I have always thought the same in regard to the bolded. I am not a fan of compensatory picks. I would rather get to keep the value I already developed at a discount for having done so than the opportunity to try to repeat the feat with a lesser talent pool to work with. Flip side of that it is incumbent of your front office to maximize the value of it's personnel.
[ Edited by WINiner on Apr 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM ]
Good job we have Baalke!
I like the system the way it is. Because we have Baalke and Paraag, we will continue to outsmart the other franchises anyway. I don't want a Larry Bird NBA rule because then there is no hard cap. You get a soft cap and then teams would simply load up on free agents up to $123 million, then after the fact they resign their own draftees up to an unspecified amount. Now you get teams like the Cowboys and Redskins acting like the Lakers. Keep the cap as is and continue to promote true parity in the NFL unlike the large market teams of the NBA. Force teams to work under the cap and budget accordingly while not allowing some to buy championships

Aldon Smith - $2,336,454
Andy Lee - $1.9 million
Mike Iupati - $1,600,500
Dan Skuta - $1.3 million

Alex Boone - $950,000

Andy Lee - $2.05 million

QB Kaepernick
RB James
RB Hunter
FB Miller
WR Crabtree
TE Davis
LT Staley
RT Davis
RG Boone
LG Iupati
C Kilgore
C/OG Looney
DE McDonald
NT Dorsey
NT Williams
OLB Smith
ILB Willis
ILB Bowman
CB Culliver
CB Brown
CB Asomugha
P Lee

what if Brooks won't take a salary cut?
  • thl408
Does anyone find it unorthodox that some of the high salaries on the 49ers belong to positions that a GM would not usually designate lots of cap space to? Right Tackle, inside LB (x2), TE, Punter. When I think of positions that GMs should set aside big money for, it'd be QB, LT, WR, OLB, DL, CB.

I understand some of the savings from such current cheap contracts to QB, LT allow for Baalke to spend more on ILBs and Ps, but soon it may bite him in the butt. When the QB and OLB (Aldon) want their pay, it will hurt to be paying the TE and P so much. When Iupati wants his pay, the RT's contract might not allow that. Just wondering what you guys thought about this.
[ Edited by thl408 on Apr 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Does anyone find it unorthodox that some of the high salaries on the 49ers belong to positions that a GM would not usually designate lots of cap space to? Right Tackle, inside LB (x2), TE, Punter. When I think of positions that GMs should set aside big money for, it'd be QB, LT, WR, OLB, DL, CB.

I understand some of the savings from such current cheap contracts to QB, LT allow for Baalke to spend more on ILBs and Ps, but soon it may bite him in the butt. When the QB and OLB (Aldon) want their pay, it will hurt to be paying the TE and P so much. When Iupati wants his pay, the RT's contract might not allow that. Just wondering what you guys thought about this.

I agree with everything you said, other than TE. TE is becoming a high-payed position, with Gronk, Graham, Gonzalez, Vernon, and other becoming legit 1000+yd 10+TD guys. This is the direction the league is moving,

I think it is just happenstance. We happen to have picked up 2 great ILBs. Our qb is on his rookie contract. We can't set aside big money , from your example, at the qb position for instance right now.

Disagree on the butt biting comment. So far Baalke has showed he is piloting this craft with great skill.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Aldon Smith - $2,336,454
Andy Lee - $1.9 million
Mike Iupati - $1,600,500
Dan Skuta - $1.3 million

Alex Boone - $950,000

Andy Lee - $2.05 million

QB Kaepernick
RB James
RB Hunter
FB Miller
WR Crabtree
TE Davis
LT Staley
RT Davis
RG Boone
LG Iupati
C Kilgore
C/OG Looney
DE McDonald
NT Dorsey
NT Williams
OLB Smith
ILB Willis
ILB Bowman
CB Culliver
CB Brown
CB Asomugha
P Lee

Agreed good work AB. Looks like our cap will be healthy going forward which bodes well for maintaining an elite roster.

Lott I have always thought the same in regard to the bolded. I am not a fan of compensatory picks. I would rather get to keep the value I already developed at a discount for having done so than the opportunity to try to repeat the feat with a lesser talent pool to work with. Flip side of that it is incumbent of your front office to maximize the value of it's personnel.

totally agree, great work AB.

It looks like Baalke (and Paraage) are doing great jobs managing cap while keeping our home grown talent. Cap maintenance is just as important as good drafting, IMO.

Right tackle is a very valuable position and Anthony Davis received a fair contract.

ILB, yeah, we have too much money invested there. But we also have 2 all-pros there. That is exactly the reason why we let Goldson walk. Our ILB's have to make up for the lack of pro-bowl safeties, because we can't afford both. We will have to get by with bargain bin safties and young draft picks in order to keep our LB core together.
We all need to make this post our desktop pic for quicker reference. LOL
  • thl408
Originally posted by English:
I think it is just happenstance. We happen to have picked up 2 great ILBs. Our qb is on his rookie contract. We can't set aside big money , from your example, at the qb position for instance right now.

Disagree on the butt biting comment. So far Baalke has showed he is piloting this craft with great skill.

I'm not suggesting that the two ILBs and P are not deserving of the money. They are the best at their positions, hands down.

I'll use an extreme case to illustrate my point. Suppose you had a team that consisted of the best Punter, Place kicker, Guards, Fullback, and Long Snapper in the league. You pay them accordingly and now you have a whacked out cap structure that hinders the ability to retain the more important positions (QB, OLB, T). That's what I'm getting at.

I agree with Baalke piloting with great skill...so far. We will see what happens when the QB, OLB, and WR want their pay.
I think that if we can land Slay in the 3rd round and Amerson and Cyprien in the 2nd we can afford to let Rdgers either take a paycut or he is cut. As for Crabtree I think of all the players we can potentially lose he is the least important. He has really only had 1 solid year 1,000 yards. True it was because Kap came in and started throwing his way more than Smith did but I would much rather make sure we can sign A.Smith and Iupati along with Kap. Smith is a sack specialist and young leader for our defense and Iupati is one of the best young guards in the game and Kap is Kap a dynamic QB that deserves a lot of respect for his arm and his legs. Crabtree is a prima dona who held out 70 plus days the last time we tried to sign him. Crabtree is lucky to be a 49er. We could easily draft his replacement next year since the draft looks stronger for offensive playmakers next year.
  • thl408
Also, if Baalke pays Iupati what he deserves, we can add Guard to the list of of contracts that I would consider unorthodox in allotted cap space even though I do value a fantastic Oline and believe that they are the foundation of any great offense. Between P, TE, Guard, and ILB (x2), something has to give when the QB wants his contract.
Share 49ersWebzone