LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 208 users in the forums

Winning the Super Bowl 2014

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Winning the Super Bowl 2014

if we win the super bowl, we get to inaugurate the new stadium with a Lombardi trophy
If those are my only two options, I'm not playing this game.
Originally posted by MarkD:
Originally posted by ninermedic:
What the hell would the point of having good players be if you don't win the Super Bowl? "Hey, let's be the most talented team for no reason! Also why are we even playing this game???"

If you are able to sign more of your talent because they are cheaper. You would be a better team for a longer period of time. Ie. The window is open longer. Example of poor cap planning being the Ravens of this year.

But the point is to win. The only reason to have a good team is to make it possible to win.

Right. So it boils down to this...Win one and lose talent or win more by keeping talent.

I would take a guaranteed win now vs. another loss with some vague potential to win in the future...
Originally posted by xela510:
Originally posted by xela510:
Plus after next year #SEAHAWKS are going to be running the NFL

Lol drink much? I think you are putting a little to much stock into Russell Wilson. Oh yeh your RB is getting old and O-line sucks

lol wut? O-line doesnt suck and Lynch is younger than Gore.

And they have average lbs and an above average dl. Now with Avril and Bennett they have a good pass rush but not run d
Let's just go get the sixth and see how Harbaugh goes about winning the seventh. He needs the challenge.
what the f**k kind of question is this? the reason they play is to win. losing a superbowl to keep the team together is one of the most ridiculous things ive ever heard. and on the zone, thats saying alot. and there is no way kap gets away from the niners in any circumstance.
This is pretty close to the stupidest poll question i've ever answered. Nobody wants to lose. Ever. I'll present you with a better question:

What's the point of having talented players if you don't win the Super Bowl?

Sure would be great to go to the SB and lose three more times to save cap space. Are you f**king kidding me?
[ Edited by xtm059 on Mar 30, 2013 at 6:05 AM ]
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xtm059:
This is pretty close to the stupidest poll question i've ever answered. Nobody wants to lose. Ever. I'll present you with a better question:

Sure would be great to go to the SB and lose three more times to save cap space. Are you f**king kidding me?

The question wasn't about losing. It is about scenario. Example the from this Ravens this year. They didn't cap plan and now they are going to be a s**t team again.
So lets put it in this context. Win and become a crap team because you can't sign your own free agents back. OR lose and have a better chance at winning multiple championships because your main players are already under contract? I am not saying throw the damn game. Duh
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
What the hell would the point of having good players be if you don't win the Super Bowl? "Hey, let's be the most talented team for no reason! Also why are we even playing this game???"

If you are able to sign more of your talent because they are cheaper. You would be a better team for a longer period of time. Ie. The window is open longer. Example of poor cap planning being the Ravens of this year.

But the point is to win. The only reason to have a good team is to make it possible to win.

Right. So it boils down to this...Win one and lose talent or win more by keeping talent.

I would take a guaranteed win now vs. another loss with some vague potential to win in the future...

Good this person above gets the poll question.
These types of poll are stupid. Of course we all want to win. The real question is, would you prefer the team to take a "win now" approach or to focus on keeping the core of the team together for long-term success (and let the winning follow).

I think it's clear that Baalke is taking the later approach... which I agree with. I'm not so sure THIS is the year we win it all. I think we will be in contention, but we need to replace some key defensive players that are aging, diminishing, and getting too expensive.

• LVJay
  • Veteran

The question wasn't about losing. It is about scenario. Example the from this Ravens this year. They didn't cap plan and now they are going to be a s**t team again.
So lets put it in this context. Win and become a crap team because you can't sign your own free agents back. OR lose and have a better chance at winning multiple championships because your main players are already under contract? I am not saying throw the damn game. Duh

I would LOVE to trade places with the ravens, they WON... it's all about winning the BIG ONE. That's all that matters. Now we don't have that Flawless SB record anymore. So, they lose players, but won the SB... we're the LOSERS!

You don't become a s**t team because you can't resign free agents. Our staff is really, really good at scouting talent and building through the draft for this eventuality anyway, so the whole thread and conversation is a moot point.

These are facts:

Talented players will require higher salaries.
In the salary cap era, we will not be able to afford to retain all of them, regardless of SB wins.
Losing high-priced FAs is not the end of a team. Baltimore planned very, very poorly, and is a worst-case scenario.
Our staff will recruit through the draft and allow players fishing for massive salaries to get them elsewhere.
I really, really hate the offseason.

The players you mentioned are going to be expensive whether we win the Super Bowl or not. So, why even bother with the question? Just because you don't win the Super Bowl doesn't mean premiere QBs, O-linemen and pass rushers are going to be cheaper to sign. Given that fact, there should be no real debate here. You play to win the Super Bowl.
wtf happened to this thread

the ravens players wouldve left regardless if they won or lost that superbowl. its not about winning the last game, its about what the player does in the coarse of a season or seasons that gets them a fat contract. id rather win a superbowl and be f**ked by the salary cap than lose a superbowl and get f**ked by the salary cap
Share 49ersWebzone