There are 158 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

All Time Favorite San Francisco 49ers Team Year

The end of that 81 season was very strange for me. I was watching the NFC Championship game with a high school buddy. He and I had actually gone to the playoff game at the Stick about 10 years before that and watched the Cowboys come from 11 points down with 1:50 left in the game to win and send the Niners home. So, when Clark caught that touchdown pass and there was still about a minute and a half left, the room went crazy with people yelling, "we're going to the Super Bowl" we looked at each other and he leaned over and said "1 point? Oh no." I knew exactly what he meant. People don't seem to remember what happened after that catch. Danny White came right back with a couple of completions. He hit Drew Pearson over the middle and if not for Eric Wright's horse collar tackle at about mid field, he was gone. There was nobody behind him. But, there they were at about mid field with a little less than a minute and I thought history was going to repeat itself. Well, we know what happened. A couple sacks and a forced fumble that Duane Board recovered and it was over. That may have been the biggest sigh of relief I've ever had. But, the point is that that game did not end with The Catch. A couple weeks later, after watching that team for 20 years, I was just too stunned and in shock that they were actually winning that game to get that excited. But, that was an absolutely epic season. The plastering of the Cowboys during the season. The brutal Steelers game where they just flat-out beat the Steelers up. That un-fricking-believable goal line stand in the big game against an offensive juggernaut team with a 260 lb fullback. Incredible.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
personal prefernce..

#1 - 1994
#2 - 2011

agreed...2011 would have been my favorite season ever if they had pulled out a Title.
94 , was too young to see much off Montana apart from the 90 season when he was still awesome but the running game sucked ass.
or perhaps 2013
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by English:

Yes I know we didn't, but it was still the best team ever.

1989 for me...

We lost 2 games that year against the Rams and Packers but damn, what a talented team that was....

And destroyed that Horsey-face sum of a ....
One of the best things about the 89 season - the headline on the LA Times after the Rams went to SF for the Championship game.

The headline was: THE SAN FRANCISCO CHAINSAW MASSACRE

I was in LA on business at the time and I watched the game at a Rams sports bar with a bunch of rabid, obnoxious Rams fans. They were giving me a bunch of crap for an hour before the game started. The place got quiet real quick.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fropwns:
And destroyed that Horsey-face sum of a ....

reeves was just a poor coach and horsey faced really looked dumb with long hair sticking out of the back of his helmet. i remember a few media guys were painting a picture of a close game but terry bradshaw came right out and said,,,, if denver is not carefull they could be down by four touchdowns at half!
1989 - I've never seen a more dominant stretch drive. Starting from the epic early December 4th quarter in Los Angeles on MNF (The John Taylor Game), through the Super Bowl, the 49ers outscored their opponents 193 to 39. It was a sight to see.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
1989 - I've never seen a more dominant stretch drive. Starting from the epic early December 4th quarter in Los Angeles on MNF (The John Taylor Game), through the Super Bowl, the 49ers outscored their opponents 193 to 39. It was a sight to see.

then the next year we won ugly and fans and media went insane with anger alot of winning ugly came from the all of a sudden decline from roger craig
1998-I could be mixing seasons but I believe that was the year of G.Hearst overtime TD, G. Plummer causing a fumble & L.Woodalls' recovery for a long TD. I also think the offense was on a big time roll too. To bad G. Hearst got hurt in the NFCCG, oh well, go niners. It's not the best year but one of my favorites
[ Edited by calinig4life on Apr 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM ]
1997 and 2011.

2001 was up there for me, too. That team was a super bowl contender that was dealt a s**tty hand. (how n the hell a 12-4 team going to go on the road in Lambeau? Talk about unfair) However, if they would've beaten the bears like they should've, then they would've open at home; perhaps against CHI. Big difference.
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
personal prefernce..

#1 - 1994
#2 - 2011

agreed...2011 would have been my favorite season ever if they had pulled out a Title.

the SB is the only reason i put 1994 above 2011. but '11 is probably the most fun i've ever had as a fan. born in 83, so the montana years are blurry.
  • bret
  • Veteran
I loved almost all the teams during the glory years, but your first love is always the sweetest, so that's why I have to go with the 81 team. They weren't the greatest, but they were the scrappiest, and they were the first Super Bowl team, giving them a special place in my heart!