There are 255 users in the forums

Should we extend Anthony Davis right now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • kent
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I'm all for it. I'd prioritize his resigning over both Crabtree and Iupati. He had a pretty terrible rookie year, but the dude was 20 and 21 years old. Now that he's getting older, he's becoming a really good player. And he's not an injury liability.

And your point about the soft market makes sense from the 49ers point of view, but I doubt his agent sees it that way. I think Davis will command a big salary, more than Andre Smith, because there isn't weight and laziness issues with Davis.

LOL, no.

Think I agree with NinerBuff on this based on sign ability. A Davis deal might be much more reasonable at this point. Iupati is already a pro bowler. He may be looking at a Hutchinson type pay day in the future. Maybe a lot more than the 49ers will value that position. And if Crabtree's first contract negotiation is an indication, he is likely looking forward to a contract befitting an elite receiver. I would not be surprised if the 49ers were to take a receiver in the first three picks as insurance against not being able to sign Crabtree in a couple years.
Originally posted by susweel:
why is everybody in a hurry to extend everybody

the longer we wait, the more $ it will take to lock them up. It's risk management.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by susweel:
why is everybody in a hurry to extend everybody

the longer we wait, the more $ it will take to lock them up. It's risk management.

Yeah if a player is getting better every year than you might want too extend them. In this case AD would be a good extend. I'd like to see colin too, something like 6 years 66 million like what the packers did to aaron rodgers early extend, could save us a lot of money with that. Crabtree is going to be a pain. I think we need to keep mike he's amazing player to have.

Anyone know the top 3-5 RT salaries? That's what he's going to want.
  • thl408
The way the 49ers offense is structured, I think the key positions are QB and OL. If they can keep that aspect of the team together, then the skill positions can be pieced together afterwards. I have seen enough to come to the conclusion that the key reason for the success of Gore, LMJ, Hunter is the OL, not the skill of the RB themselves.

ADavis is a badass mofo. Big, tough, mean, trending up. Sign him asap.
Yep... Lock him up.
right meow!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Yeah if a player is getting better every year than you might want too extend them. In this case AD would be a good extend. I'd like to see colin too, something like 6 years 66 million like what the packers did to aaron rodgers early extend, could save us a lot of money with that. Crabtree is going to be a pain. I think we need to keep mike he's amazing player to have.

The only problem is that we cannot extend Colin til nxt yr...

Another season like he had last year could net him 80+ million
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

The only problem is that we cannot extend Colin til nxt yr...

Another season like he had last year could net him 80+ million
I still think colin will take somewhat resonable deal, something like what the pats always give brady, good money but it helps to keep other talent and he knows it's a team game. Seems like a humble dude and he might take a homie discount since he wanted to be a niner . Also, we need to look into locking jim up again in 3 years wonder how much that will cost us!

in order of priority:

aldon smith
michael crabtree
mike iupati
anthony davis

although i do think down the line the 9ers will look to move anthony davis into the LT spot and possibly let staley go if his contract is burdensome
Yes ....Lock him AND Iupati up for the next 4 seasons or so
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Yes ....Lock him AND Iupati up for the next 4 seasons or so

Davis wouldn't even be 30 by the time that contact is up. I say we look to sign him for a lot longer he's rather young dude. Mike should get 6 to 7 years himself.
My view.

AD.
Mike
Aldon
Crabtree
In that order. Look to lock up you're oline for the next 7 years and no issues insert any running back and you'll get 5 a carry. Aldon because he's a good player but how much is due to justin. Crabtree last because lets face it he's going to want to be paid and if you're willing to hold out as a rookie than you're willing to wait until freeagency to get you're big money or get tagged!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
We need to extend bunch of guys. Crabtree and Anthony Davis are on the top of my list. Iupati is another one we need to take care of.
Yes, partially based on the merits of me owning his jersey.
Share 49ersWebzone