LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Should we extend Anthony Davis right now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Think about it... the right tackle market is ridiculously slow right now. Sebastian Vollmer, who many consider the premiere right tackle in the NFL, just signed for 4 years $6.75 per and only $8.25 guaranteed. Andre Smith is also still on the market. Meanwhile, Jake Long, who is not nearly as good a LT as Vollmer is a RT, got 4 years $9 mil per and $16 mil guaranteed. Hell, Jermon Bushrod, who you may remember from getting bullrushed and climbed over by Justin Smith, who also isn't even in the same zip code as Jake Long as a LT, got $7.2 mil per $17.7 mil guaranteed. I think we need to strike while the market is cold.

The only thing I could possibly see throwing a wrench into this idea is the deal the Colts gave Gosder Cherilus. He got way overpaid... even though he's a solid RT.
I'd love to lock him up now. So far each season he's been better than the previous. You can't really ask for more. Plus he cracks me up on twitter. I love his sh.it disturber attitude.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Mar 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM ]
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I'd love to lock him up now. So far each season he's been better than the previous. You can't really ask for more. Plus he cracks me up on twitter. I love his sh.it disturber attitude.

Lol I started following him a few months back, when twitter said he was like pwillis. Good stuff. Yeah, lock him up if we can for sure. No reason to lose a good player.
Yes, try to extend him before he gets a pro bowl or all-pro nod on his resume. His price tag will only go up. He knows this, so he might want to wait until free agency to cash in.
I'm all for it. I'd prioritize his resigning over both Crabtree and Iupati. He had a pretty terrible rookie year, but the dude was 20 and 21 years old. Now that he's getting older, he's becoming a really good player. And he's not an injury liability.

And your point about the soft market makes sense from the 49ers point of view, but I doubt his agent sees it that way. I think Davis will command a big salary, more than Andre Smith, because there isn't weight and laziness issues with Davis.
Absolutely. He's earned an extension at the very least.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

I totally agree. He's young and has shown consistent improvement. Yet, he hasn't broken out yet as a premier tackle. As soon as he makes a pro-bowl (only a matter of time), he will get much more expensive. We should be able to get him for $4-5M per year if we get it done now.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
why is everybody in a hurry to extend everybody
Lock him up now he's worth it N has worked for it N it save us on headaches come 2015
Originally posted by susweel:

If we wait to long we're f*cked 2015 off season is goin to be tough alalot of good/great players are set to be free agents...

• buck
  • Veteran
Only if he shuts down his twitter account.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I'm all for it. I'd prioritize his resigning over both Crabtree and Iupati. He had a pretty terrible rookie year, but the dude was 20 and 21 years old. Now that he's getting older, he's becoming a really good player. And he's not an injury liability.

And your point about the soft market makes sense from the 49ers point of view, but I doubt his agent sees it that way. I think Davis will command a big salary, more than Andre Smith, because there isn't weight and laziness issues with Davis.

I agree we should extend him, but I wouldn't prioritize him over Crabtree or Iupati.
No Question - ASAP.
Originally posted by susweel:

Because it frees up cap room
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

LOL, no.
Share 49ersWebzone