LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

What if Steve young was traded to KC instead of Montana

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Everybody knew young was next in line no way he would have been traded END OF STORY .....
Why trade an up ^ coming QB (S Young) for a QB that was truly 1 injury away from ending his career (J Montana)
what if we hadn't traded Charles Haley to the Cowturds = the REAL question
The 1994 team had 6 (Sanders, Norton, Woodall, Plummer, B. Young, Jackson) new starters on defense. SIX. Including the entire LB group.

THAT was the main difference between the 1992-93 teams and the 1994 team.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
in my opinion, if the trade would have went through. we would have had a much much improved defense from 91-93 with the addition of derek thomas. montana would have reverted back to form. we would have beat dallas twice, we would have won two super bowls, bono would have been then ready to take over for montana , the defense because of thomas would have been very good, young may or may not have had success in kansas city, i love young but i wanted that trade to go forward back in the day and i still think that is the way it would have turned out
Originally posted by cciowa:
in my opinion, if the trade would have went through. we would have had a much much improved defense from 91-93 with the addition of derek thomas.

Montana was traded after the 1992 season. 1991-92 seasons would have not been any different whatsoever.

Maybe we could have got Thomas for Young. But that's one new starter on a team that eventually had six.

We drafted both Dana Stubblefield (1993) and Bryant Young (1994) after trading Montana, two key defensive starters in 1994. If we have Derrick Thomas, do we draft either of them?

The "what if" game is not simple at all. LOTS of variables.
[ Edited by captveg on Mar 24, 2013 at 5:48 AM ]
What if Montana was never born?
I will say this, had Montana played in the 92' NFCCG I think 49ers woulda won due to Youngs TO to Ken Norton Jr, Montana would have been defended differently by Dallas, the Cowgirls woulda played pass more then run and that coulda opened the door for Ricky Watters but then again Watters did fumble the ball that game and we couldn't get off the field on defense and get stops. Dallas I hate hate hate to say it was just a tad better in 92 and in 93' Dallas was even better then too so who knows?
What if the World was round??
I thought the article was funny! Wonder if they will make one about Kaepernick and Smith ten years from now? Lol

If "if" was a fifth of Vodka we'd definitely be drunk.
Why don't we go back in the way back time machine, find a Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo, and find a copy of Madden that have Montana and Young on the roster. Get back with the curious after playing both scenarios.
What if this thread never existed?
Share 49ersWebzone