LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

So who do you have on your early 53 man roster, locks, bubble, etc....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
AB what do you mean A. Davis' contract leaves behind $$. As in, if we cut him we owe him that?

Anthony Davis leaves behind a $1,666,666 dead money in 2015 from rookie contract.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
AB what do you mean A. Davis' contract leaves behind $$. As in, if we cut him we owe him that?

Anthony Davis leaves behind a $1,666,666 dead money in 2015 from rookie contract.

When he signed his rookie contract in 2010, he signed it for 6 years, and has proration left over in year 6(2015), which voids, so we have a dead money of around $1,866,668 to be exact.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

When he signed his rookie contract in 2010, he signed it for 6 years, and has proration left over in year 6(2015), which voids, so we have a dead money of around $1,866,668 to be exact.

So it's just the last part of the guaranteed $$ from his rookie contract?
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

So it's just the last part of the guaranteed $$ from his rookie contract?

correct.
My March 23rd roster prediction I think is this (and I doubt more than 5-6 rookies, tops, crack our 53 so we'll be doing a lot of trading up and trading '13 picks for higher '14 picks in my opinion)

QB (3)- Kap, Tolzien, rookie
HB (4)- Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon
FB (1)- Miller
WR (6)- Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham (may start year on PUP), Williams, Jenkins, Rookie
OL (8)- Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, rookie (probably a tackle, and it will be very interesting to see what the plan would be next year for if Staley or Davis were to get dinged up. Would we do like this year and have Boone kick out and bring in a back-up guard to play RG, or would we leave Boone at RG and bring in a tackle off the bench)
TE (3)- Vernon, rookie, Celek
DL (7)- Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, FA (Idonije?), Williams, Tukuafu, Jerod-Eddie/rookie
OLB (4)- Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Johnson/Fleming/rookie
ILB (4)- Willis, Bowman, either Grant or Gooden, and either Skuta or Wilhoite
CB (5)- same crew
S (5)- Whitner, rookie, Spillman, and then 2 of Dahl/Robinson/McBath/potential free agent (Asomugha?)
LS (1)- Jennings
K (1)- Dawson
P (1)- Lee
[ Edited by kap2crab on Mar 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM ]
QB (3) - Kap, Tolzien, Rookie
HB (4) - Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon/Rookie/Jewel Hampton
FB (1) - Miller
WR (6) - Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Williams, Jenkins, Lockette/Moore/Rookie
OL (8) - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Rookie/Wiggins
TE (3) - Vernon, Rookie, Celek

DL (7) - Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Rookie DE, Williams, 2 from Tukuafu/Jerod-Eddie/Dobbs/Rookie
OLB (4) - Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Fleming/Johnson/Rookie
ILB (4) - Willis, Bowman, Wilhoite/Grant/Gooden, Skuta
CB (5) - Brown, Culliver, Rogers, Cox, Brock (FA/Rookie if 6)
S (5) - Whitner, Rookie, Spillman, Dahl, Robinson/Thomas/McBath

ST (3) - Jennings, Lee, Dawson

*Could see us keeping 6 DL and going with an extra an extra S or CB.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM ]
Before FA(just before), Trent had what, 9 FAs and with intent and fury signed 8 of the 9....the lone loss being Dashon, a great tackler, but who couldn't stop the jumpball pass on our Defense's left sideline. (Flacco is right handed remember). so a great tackler, who couldn't do the one thing we needed in SB (also against hernandez in ATL), plus several other teams with TEs or WRs that CAN get the sideline jump ball. At the time, I hated to see 49ers not even try to keep dashon and his about to be big salary raise, but flat out, he couldn't stop the one play we didn't stop all yr. So our F.O. did a bang up job. As a contrast, look at Ravens...disaster. I loved nailing down our producing FAs, but even with that, 2014 and 2015 are going to be knuckle busters. Ravens won the SB but lost the war.

AB how you do all this and actually foresee where a move is going to have to be made because it will wreck us if we do/don't do it depending on situation, is beyond me. Man I tried it and got bogged down immediately... what you do is a science and a helluva hard one at that. Just congrats AB for all you have taught many of us the last 5 yrs or more. I am still amazed at how you figure out the numbers and then prove or disprove why something is not going to work...and you have one heckuva track record. Many thanks amigo for writing this stuff , where you have to not only assess value and will it work in our system, but can we actually afford it. It has been an ongoing tutorial, and has been enjoyed thoroughly by not just me, but virtually most others as well.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Before FA(just before), Trent had what, 9 FAs and with intent and fury signed 8 of the 9....the lone loss being Dashon, a great tackler, but who couldn't stop the jumpball pass on our Defense's left sideline. (Flacco is right handed remember). so a great tackler, who couldn't do the one thing we needed in SB (also against hernandez in ATL), plus several other teams with TEs or WRs that CAN get the sideline jump ball. At the time, I hated to see 49ers not even try to keep dashon and his about to be big salary raise, but flat out, he couldn't stop the one play we didn't stop all yr. So our F.O. did a bang up job. As a contrast, look at Ravens...disaster. I loved nailing down our producing FAs, but even with that, 2014 and 2015 are going to be knuckle busters. Ravens won the SB but lost the war.

AB how you do all this and actually foresee where a move is going to have to be made because it will wreck us if we do/don't do it depending on situation, is beyond me. Man I tried it and got bogged down immediately... what you do is a science and a helluva hard one at that. Just congrats AB for all you have taught many of us the last 5 yrs or more. I am still amazed at how you figure out the numbers and then prove or disprove why something is not going to work...and you have one heckuva track record. Many thanks amigo for writing this stuff , where you have to not only assess value and will it work in our system, but can we actually afford it. It has been an ongoing tutorial, and has been enjoyed thoroughly by not just me, but virtually most others as well.

Thanks Doc. Some people need to know who we prioritize our FAs. We made decisions this offseason by not tying up future cap room, mainly 2015 cap room, when we need to keep Aldon, Kap, Iupati, Davis and Crabs. So we sacrifice Goldson, who was a good FS for us, but is a head hunter, and I wont miss his 15 yard penalties.
QB (3) - Kap, Tolzein, R
RB (5) - Gore, Hunter, James, R, Miller
WR (6) - Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Williams, Jenkins, R/Moore
TE (3) - Davis, R, Celek
OL (8) - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, R/FA

DE (6) - Smith, McDonald, Williams, Dorsey, R
OLB (4) - Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Fleming
ILB (5) - Willis, Bowman, Grant, Gooden, Skuta
CB (5) - Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Cox, R
S (5) - Whitner, Dahl, R, Spillman, Robinson

ST (3) - Jennings, Lee, Dawson

Rookies who make the team (8): QB, RB, TE, OL, DE, CB, Safety, and a WR if we don't keep Moore.
Don't make the team: Dixon, McBath, Brock, Dobbs
Tough one!

As of March 26th, 2013:
QB (3) - CK; Tolzien, Rookie
RB (4) - Gore, Hunter; James, Rookie RB/FB
FB (1) - Miller
WR (6) - Crabtree, Boldin; Jenkins, Lockette, Moore, Rookie. Manningham (will start the year on PUP)
OL (8) - Staley, Iupati, Looney, Boone, Davis; Kilgore, Rookie T, Rookie C
TE (3) - Vernon; Celek, Rookie (6'6" TE)

DL (6) - Smith, Dorsey, McDonald; Rookie DE, Rookie NT, Dobbs
OLB (5) - Smith, Brooks; Haralson, Johnson, Rookie
ILB (4) - Willis, Bowman; Gooden, Skuta
CB (5) - Brown, Culliver, Rogers; Rookie (taller, physical 6'2"), Cox
S (5) - Whitner, Spillman; Rookie S, Dahl, Robinson

ST (3) - Jennings, Lee, Dawson (Moore/Lockette & James)

Surprises:
  • With Jenkins and Manningham back (eventually), I think the surprise cut is Williams not b/c he's a poor player but b/c the team is trying to get more physical with Boldin, Cratree and Lockette. And we have two smaller, slot guys in Manningham and Jenkins and Moore can stretch the field and turns out to be a really good returner (better than Williams). That said, Williams could push Moore/Rookie off the roster.
  • Goodwin is released for salary cap reasons as he was unwilling to restructure his deal and Looney beats out Kilgore and starts at C (e.g. helps Baalke jusify his previous draft).
  • Niners draft taller, stronger and more physical CB's and WR's this draft as well as that monster redzone TE target.
  • They go for that prototypical two-gap, pocket-collapsing NT as well early in the draft and find a S with great speed, range to help the CB's over the top, esp. along the sidelines.
  • Whitner may be replaced mid-season by Dahl or a rookie S once they get the system down. If the Niners draft two top tier SS and FS, Whitner could be a cap cut early as well.
  • Culliver beats out Rogers to start the year, sticking with our new Seattle-like CB philosophy and Rogers moves inside to the slot full time; he could end up being beaten out by the top tier rookie eventually who would compete with Brown next year. If this happens, expect a salary restructure from Rogers to stay.
  • As many as 11 rookies make the team and most will be pushing starters to replace this year or next when the cap really hits hard.
  • Some of these rookie slots may be replaced by upcoming FA signings. I still believe we may see one more big FA signing.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 27, 2013 at 7:46 AM ]

We are getting down to where many have 50 or 51 of our team already picked leaving little room for all but a few add ons. We already have 5 picks in top 96, plus 9 others. So the question is, will trent basically go for just 4 -5 starters, CB, S, DL, OT, TE/WR, and bundle the remaining 9 picks to move up?. I believe 3 of those are comp picks and not tradeable, so there go 3 of the 9 picks. One of those will probably be a PK for competition, nothing more. But of the remaining 6, does trent package picks to move up even more or does he just take his 14 picks and use them all, realizing virtually no one after the 5th pick has a shot at making the team.

To me this seems fairly predictable that trent uses 6 picks to move us up. Somebody said after pick #15 there is a huge drop off in talent...which i completely disagree with. The added issue of Cards, Buf, Raids, Jax, tampa(?), cleveland, getting antsy and doing something stupid like drafting a decent 2nd or 3rd rd qB high in rd 1 will only help move us up for BPA picks. But does trent go for a top 8-10 pick, and maybe also a top 25 pick, or does he try to get those top 5 picks into the top 50? Probably nobody thinks he will stay pat and just let 14 picks come to him, so what do you think trent will do? Move way up for 2 picks, or move all 5 top picks farther up the ladder?
I'd flush Tukuafu and Dobbs off the roster and replace with rookies.
We are getting down to where many have 50 or 51 of our team already picked leaving little room for all but a few add ons. We already have 5 picks in top 96, plus 9 others. So the question is, will trent basically go for just 4 -5 starters, CB, S, DL, OT, TE/WR, and bundle the remaining 9 picks to move up?. I believe 3 of those are comp picks and not tradeable, so there go 3 of the 9 picks. One of those will probably be a PK for competition, nothing more. But of the remaining 6, does trent package picks to move up even more or does he just take his 14 picks and use them all, realizing virtually no one after the 5th pick has a shot at making the team.

To me this seems fairly predictable that trent uses 6 picks to move us up. Somebody said after pick #15 there is a huge drop off in talent...which i completely disagree with. The added issue of Cards, Buf, Raids, Jax, tampa(?), cleveland, getting antsy and doing something stupid like drafting a decent 2nd or 3rd rd qB high in rd 1 will only help move us up for BPA picks. But does trent go for a top 8-10 pick, and maybe also a top 25 pick, or does he try to get those top 5 picks into the top 50? Probably nobody thinks he will stay pat and just let 14 picks come to him, so what do you think trent will do? Move way up for 2 picks, or move all 5 top picks farther up the ladder?

I"m with you...this is very hard to tell. Another pundit said they expect us to stay pat and get our 5 or 6 potential starters (whether this year or next) and package the rest of the picks for MORE draft picks next year which also seems to be a good draft as well.

And then, look at our holes...we are looking to develop long term starters that have more UPSIDE than our current starters either this year or next. And some of these guys will be key backups and role-players. For instance...we get that big, physical, tall TE with great hands in the RZ/EZ. His role will be specialized but also play a key role should VD go down. RB, same thing. Specialized roles. The only real chances to start are on the DL and S/CB positions. The rest is depth with a monster focus on special teams.

So we can package many/all of the picks to move up to get top tier potential starters for this year/next or stay put with the top 6 we have and leverage the rest for additional picks next year. And honestly, I have no hint one way or another...
Originally posted by NCommand:

I"m with you...this is very hard to tell. Another pundit said they expect us to stay pat and get our 5 or 6 potential starters (whether this year or next) and package the rest of the picks for MORE draft picks next year which also seems to be a good draft as well.

And then, look at our holes...we are looking to develop long term starters that have more UPSIDE than our current starters either this year or next. And some of these guys will be key backups and role-players. For instance...we get that big, physical, tall TE with great hands in the RZ/EZ. His role will be specialized but also play a key role should VD go down. RB, same thing. Specialized roles. The only real chances to start are on the DL and S/CB positions. The rest is depth with a monster focus on special teams.

So we can package many/all of the picks to move up to get top tier potential starters for this year/next or stay put with the top 6 we have and leverage the rest for additional picks next year. And honestly, I have no hint one way or another...

I think Trent and Jim will package picks to move up maybe once or twice MAX. The rest will be dealt to gain more picks next year, and probably move around in the first 2 rds like this year.

But what do I know??
Rogers need to take a pay-cut ASAP!
Share 49ersWebzone