There are 165 users in the forums

So who do you have on your early 53 man roster, locks, bubble, etc....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Who do you guys have here is mine.

QB Kap
QB Tolzien
RB Gore
RB Hunter
RB James
FB Miller
WR Crabtree
WR Boldin
WR Manningham (Not a lock, but $1.25M of $1.8M base is guaranteed for injury only)
WR Jenkins
WR Williams (Not a lock)
TE Vernon
TE Celek (Not a lock)
C Goodwin (Could be cut, or could extend and lower cap)
C Kilgore
OG Boone
OG Iupati
OG Looney
OT Staley
OT Davis
DE Smith
DE McDonald
NT/DE Dorsey
NT Williams
OLB Aldon
OLB Brooks
OLB Haralson (Not a lock if we find better pass rusher)
ILB Willis
ILB Bowman
ILB Skuta
CB Rogers (Not a lock until April 1st when base becomes guaranteed)
CB Brown
CB Culliver
CB Cox (Not a lock)
CB Brock (Not a lock, RFA tender, not guaranteed)
FS Dahl
FS Spillman
SS Whitner (Not a lock, could be cap cut, doubt it now without Goldson)
PK Dawson
P Lee
LS Jennings

41 players right now I have on the 53 man roster.

Some guys who will need to addressed cap wise, obvious ones below.

Aldon Smith (After 2014, has 2015 option)
Colin Kaepernick (After 2013 or 2014)
Anthony Davis (Anytime before 2015 offseason)
Mike Iupati (Anytime before 2015 offseason)
Michael Crabtree (Anytime before 2015 offseason)
Bruce MIller (After 2013 or 2014)
Chris Culliver (After 2013 or 2014)

Guys who may want new deals.

Alex Boone (Signed through 2015, but dirt cheap)
Justin Smith (Has big 2013 cap number, but might be best to extend after 2013, and have low 2014 cap number, with limited cap space)

Guys who need to be addressed in future cap wise.

Joe Staley, has high 2015-2017 salaries
Vernon Davis, has high cap and base salaries, plus need to extend to keep him a Niner
Patrick Willis, need to keep him for life.

Some other tidbits.

McDonald's deal voids after 2015
Anthony Davis leaves behind a $1,666,666 dead money in 2015 from rookie contract.
Tozien, Cox, Dobbs, Tukuafu are all RFAs after 2013.
2014 is brutal, besides the obvious, we have Jennings, Gore, and now Skuta and Dorsey to worry about signing if they pan out. Jennings wants to play into his 40's and why not, he is a LS for Christ sake. He isn't getting worn down. Gore may retire, or cheap 2 yr deal.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
good reasons to keep some money in the bank. i think if anyone restructures that will be the reason why,, it is not because we are going after revis. you guys want to ed up like the ravens?
And here i thot the ravens were the cat's azz...and then found out they rolled it big last yr, with a horrid shakeout of top flite players in the first few days of FA. That ain't good planning. Ozzie and john Harbaugh had done a good job until FA hit. And then they became the poster child on how not to do it. Besides that they had to pay top dollar for at best, the #6, maybe #8 QB in the league. That must have really hurt. And flacco, being the pig, got his money, but what does he have left for a team? Nah, we got the good guys in our FO, and still this is going to be a bit*h,capwise. Revis? that's a joke for this team. Even if he weren't , I would hope we would never sign a guy like that, who even the JEtS have no idea how healthy he is.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
And here i thot the ravens were the cat's azz...and then found out they rolled it big last yr, with a horrid shakeout of top flite players in the first few days of FA. That ain't good planning. Ozzie and john Harbaugh had done a good job until FA hit. And then they became the poster child on how not to do it. Besides that they had to pay top dollar for at best, the #6, maybe #8 QB in the league. That must have really hurt. And flacco, being the pig, got his money, but what does he have left for a team? Nah, we got the good guys in our FO, and still this is going to be a bit*h,capwise. Revis? that's a joke for this team. Even if he weren't , I would hope we would never sign a guy like that, who even the JEtS have no idea how healthy he is.
not to mention reed wants what,, four six million dollars? f**k that. even the bucs say they are getting sick of the jets circus involving revis,, why the hell would we even want to take part in that drama. i am kind of thinking flacco will not be the highest paid for long once the packers and rogers get together to try to hammer something out. the only way i would sign someone like woodson and nn the corner is a one year deal with incentives. otherwise screw them and onto the draft
I agree cc and pasadoc. I can't see the reason to give Ed Reed $6 million a year, wen most view his stock and value at $4M a year. And Revis makes no sense now, the Jets want too much for what could be a one yr rental, or a disaster waiting to happen, health wise.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I agree cc and pasadoc. I can't see the reason to give Ed Reed $6 million a year, wen most view his stock and value at $4M a year. And Revis makes no sense now, the Jets want too much for what could be a one yr rental, or a disaster waiting to happen, health wise.
well then we agree.. they should just hire we three to run things and make decisions. ab is the financial whiz, doc knows the players we need and i will just be a floater and occasionally climb out onto the ledge when roman pulls some dips**t stunt
Originally posted by cciowa:
well then we agree.. they should just hire we three to run things and make decisions. ab is the financial whiz, doc knows the players we need and i will just be a floater and occasionally climb out onto the ledge when roman pulls some dips**t stunt

lol, that would be fun for sure bud.

2014 is brutal, besides the obvious, we have Jennings, Gore, and now Skuta and Dorsey to worry about signing if they pan out. Jennings wants to play into his 40's and why not, he is a LS for Christ sake. He isn't getting worn down. Gore may retire, or cheap 2 yr deal.

Gore signed a 3 year extension before 2011, right? And he had 1 year left (2011). So last year was the first of his extension (2012). This year is the second of the extension (2013). And he has one more year in 2014, right? We don't have to worry about re-signing until 2015. What am I missing?
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Gore signed a 3 year extension before 2011, right? And he had 1 year left (2011). So last year was the first of his extension (2012). This year is the second of the extension (2013). And he has one more year in 2014, right? We don't have to worry about re-signing until 2015. What am I missing?

2015 I meant. Offseason wise, so many free agents to be.
I'm interested in Daniel Kilgore's status with the team. Last season, after Snyder walked, Kilgore was said to be the front runner for the RG spot. Training camp comes around, and he's not even in the running behind Davis and Boone. So, I figured they were grooming him as the future C .. and then near the end of the pre-season the coaches start giving Looney reps at Center. Now maybe I'm looking more into this than there is, but I can't get a good read on whether or not Kilgore has a future on this team as a starter or not.

And for the love of god I hope Tukuafu doesn't make this team, again. I don't think he does anything well. He does nothing, but muck things up as a lead blocking FB. On the DLine, he doesn't add anything as a pass rusher or against the run. I like Dobbs a lot more than Tukuafu. I think he is, at the very least, a solid back up with some pass rush skills. Hopefully we could add a couple of DLinemen in the draft so we could finally push Tukuafu off this team.

Hopefully this...

QB Kap
QB Tolzien (not a lock)
QB Matt Scott***
RB Gore
RB Hunter
RB James
FB Miller
FB Zach Line***
WR Crabtree
WR Boldin
WR Manningham (Not a lock, but $1.25M of $1.8M base is guaranteed for injury only)
WR Jenkins
WR Williams (Not a lock)
WR Moore (not a lock)
TE Vernon
TE Celek (Not a lock)
TE Zack Ertz***
C Kilgore
OG Boone
OG Iupati
OG Looney
OT Staley
OT Davis
DE Smith
DE McDonald
DE William Gholston***
NT/DE Dorsey
NT Williams
OLB Aldon
OLB Brooks
OLB Datone Jones***
ILB Willis
ILB Bowman
ILB Skuta
ILB Cornelius Washington***
CB Brown
CB Culliver (move to free safety)
CB Cox (Not a lock)
CB Honey Badger ***
CB Asomugha (discounted price low risk high reward)
FS Dahl
FS Spillman
S JJ Wilcox***
PK Dawson
P Lee
LS Jennings

Thats 51 with 2 rookie lineman that may stick around.
I hope we sign Tolzien for a few more years at a cap friendly price .......I have a good feeling about Tolzien , which is why I cant wait for Pre-season
Restructuring contracts is why the Steelers are now in a rebuilding mode. Signing only a few guys long term and relying on the draft and low risk signings is why the Patriots are in the mix for a title every year.

I won't mind Justin getting an extention, but you can't keep everyone. Anyone who is replaceable will be replaced... see Goldson.

Our core is all four LBs, Joe Staley and Vernon.

We will need to decide on Kaep (obviously will be), Davis, Iupati, Crabtree and if Gore/Justin should be given another contract.

Unless we draft a guy who becomes valuable enough to be a core player, we won't resign them unless its for cheap. See Walker, RJF..

Also, Andy Lee is apart of our core. Punters are people too.
Originally posted by fortyniner52:
Hopefully this...

QB Kap
QB Tolzien (not a lock)
QB Matt Scott***
RB Gore
RB Hunter
RB James
FB Miller
FB Zach Line***
WR Crabtree
WR Boldin
WR Jenkins
WR Williams (Not a lock)
WR Moore (not a lock)
TE Vernon
TE Celek (Not a lock)
TE Zack Ertz***
C Kilgore
OG Boone
OG Iupati
OG Looney
OT Staley
OT Davis
DE Smith
DE McDonald
DE William Gholston***
NT/DE Dorsey
NT Williams
OLB Aldon
OLB Brooks
OLB Datone Jones***
ILB Willis
ILB Bowman
ILB Skuta
ILB Cornelius Washington***
CB Brown
CB Culliver (move to free safety)
CB Cox (Not a lock)
CB Honey Badger ***
CB Asomugha (discounted price low risk high reward)
FS Dahl
FS Spillman
S JJ Wilcox***
PK Dawson
P Lee
LS Jennings

Thats 51 with 2 rookie lineman that may stick around.

Nice 53(51 man for now) man roster. Ilike the idea of Matt Scott as 3rd QB, and Jones at OLB/DE. Certainly a change from 2012, but maybe improved, and younger, with more potentiall.
Originally posted by cashmahne:
Restructuring contracts is why the Steelers are now in a rebuilding mode. Signing only a few guys long term and relying on the draft and low risk signings is why the Patriots are in the mix for a title every year.

I won't mind Justin getting an extention, but you can't keep everyone. Anyone who is replaceable will be replaced... see Goldson.

Our core is all four LBs, Joe Staley and Vernon.

We will need to decide on Kaep (obviously will be), Davis, Iupati, Crabtree and if Gore/Justin should be given another contract.

Unless we draft a guy who becomes valuable enough to be a core player, we won't resign them unless its for cheap. See Walker, RJF..

Also, Andy Lee is apart of our core. Punters are people too.

I agree on restructuring. I like the idea of Justin extension, lower base a little, have low 2014 or 2015 salary, and have one last run at it for a few years.
Share 49ersWebzone