LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

With the signing of S Craig Dahl, should FS Trenton Robinson move to CB.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

With the signing of S Craig Dahl, should FS Trenton Robinson move to CB.

• buck
  • Veteran
Dahl is listed as a strong safety on the teams website. Not sure what that means at this point.

http://www.49ers.com/team/roster.html
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I wouldn't be surprised if Trenton Robinson is not on the team this year. He just isn't very good.

That's interesting, since until James got PT towards the end of the year, Robinson was the only rookie to play. He is extremely aggressive and loves to come up and hit. Curious why you think he isn't very good? We're you a huge MSU fan that watched him college? This is an honest question, and it might bring some light to the discussion.
Originally posted by blm7754:
No.

Robinson will be our starting FS. Michael Thomas and a draft pick will provide backup and competition. Dhal will backup Whitner and be a special teams ace.

I think this is how it will play out as well. You don't bring ing Dhal for that money to be a starter. A contributor, yes. They let Goldson go because of what they already knew they had on the roster to replace. If they wanted his replacement to come from FA it would have been done already in Woodson or Nnamdi.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by zainladha:
when are we gonna sign woodson and asomugha?

slim chance we sign one of those guys, no way both

zero evidence of that, neither is visiting with any other teams and I think it comes down to a couple factors. The 49ers clearing enough cap space for one or both of them and figuring out who they want to invest in. More is at play here than we see, they could be in on the Revis talks, Ed Reed could still be a possibility and the team needs to get everything in order and see what their best options are. As Matt M. said today, these 2 are still very much in play

do you really believe the words you say? Baalke isn't a big spender ever in FA, so why would he trade for the most expensive CB on the market? We need to use some of our picks to fill these holes, and not sign every desperate FA who wants to win now. Getting both guys wont happen, your pipe dream is over.
Originally posted by blm7754:
No.

Robinson will be our starting FS. Michael Thomas and a draft pick will provide backup and competition. Dhal will backup Whitner and be a special teams ace.

you have no evidence Robinson is good enough to be a starter in our top 5 defense other than hope that he will be. I think Spillman has a better shot than Robinson.
I think Dahl is going to be a depth type db period. I believe the team will draft a Free Safety and play who ever that may be. No point worrying about who all the back ups are!
Originally posted by Donnies49ers:
I think Dahl is going to be a depth type db period. I believe the team will draft a Free Safety and play who ever that may be. No point worrying about who all the back ups are!

or we can move Cully to FS b/c he has good ball skills and has the speed to run with anyone. Draft a CB at 34 or 61 at the latest.

Say we get a guy like CB Logan Ryan from rutgers.

CB Brown Cox Brock
CB Rogers Ryan
I'm actually pretty high on Robinson's ability to play FS and think he should be given the opportunity to compete for the starting role this year.. He's 5-10 by the way (same height as Earl Thomas).. He also has exceptionally long arms and a 35" vertical
He's in a tough spot. We'll have a lot of new faces after the draft. I'll be hard for him to make this team. He better bring his big boy pants!
THEY BETTER NOT

Originally posted by Cooper22:
I'm actually pretty high on Robinson's ability to play FS and think he should be given the opportunity to compete for the starting role this year.. He's 5-10 by the way (same height as Earl Thomas).. He also has exceptionally long arms and a 35" vertical

I'm really interested to see what he can do. Nobody thought Bowman would be able to come out of nowhere to replace Takeo. I trust in our front office and coaches
Spillman and Dahl need to get some snaps with the 1st team defense, they need to be ready if we need them ...but we all know they are here to be our special team aces ...along with Skuta , they should help improve our special teams
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Apr 23, 2013 at 8:19 AM ]
lets change everybodys position
Originally posted by Cooper22:

im actually high too
I honestly have no idea...today. The draft should reveal a lot though. For now, my best guess is this...

FS: Culliver ___(31/34 - starter if better; Cully moves back to CB)___Spillman___ M.Thomas (cut)
SS: Woodson___Whitner (June 1st cut)___Dahl___Robsinson

CB: (1) Brown (2) Nnamdi (3) Rogers (4) Cox (5) Brock

Side note: It "seems" to me that Baalke wants to get much bigger, stronger and much more physical at the CB position, up at the LOS, as we got pwned in the playoffs. It would not surprise me to see us go more press coverage and start both Culliver and Nnamdi at the two CB positions. This would move Brown to the slot which would be more ideal over Rogers there, no doubt. We certainly need MUCH better coverage S's who ideally, would be more interchangeable. Whitner absolutely got abused in coverage all last year (gave up the most TD's in the game including the playoffs including giving up 2 in the Superbowl alone). I would expect we draft 2 S's and both over 6'1" and with excellent ball-skills, range and speed to actually help our CB's over-the-top and esp. along the sidelines and match up better against the taller TE/WR's in the RZ/EZ. This one issue alone cost us the Superbowl. Period.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 23, 2013 at 9:12 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone