There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Changes to the 49ers Defense? (Audio Link)

Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Grant Cohn

‏@grantcohn: The technical term for the #49ers base defense is a 4-3 Under. Here's what that is: http://bit.ly/WyIGSj

Is that not just our base 3-4? I see Aldon-OLB, Justin-DE, Soap-NT, Ray-DE, Brooks-OLB.

Im guessing our 4-3 would look more like. Aldon-DE, Justin-DT, Dorsey-DT, Ray-DE, Books-Will, Pwilly-Mike, Bow Sam.

Im not well versed in the 4-3 backer positions so they players may need switching around but I think im on the right track.

Sounds right to me... I think?
[ Edited by PTulini on Mar 16, 2013 at 10:05 PM ]
Originally posted by KegBert:
Grant Cohn

‏@grantcohn: The technical term for the #49ers base defense is a 4-3 Under. Here's what that is: http://bit.ly/WyIGSj

Is that not just our base 3-4? I see Aldon-OLB, Justin-DE, Soap-NT, Ray-DE, Brooks-OLB.

Im guessing our 4-3 would look more like. Aldon-DE, Justin-DT, Dorsey-DT, Ray-DE, Books-Will, Pwilly-Mike, Bow Sam.

Im not well versed in the 4-3 backer positions so they players may need switching around but I think im on the right track.

Sounds right to me... I think?
Brooks sam
Willis mike
Bowman Will
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Not a chance we switch to 4-3
Originally posted by jrg:

+1
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by jrg:

+1

I agree. We've had too much success with the 3-4 to switch, although we have the personnel to go base 4-3 if we wanted.

Sometimes it is a good idea to switch schemes just to stay ahead of the competition. For instance, if the majority of the league started playing 3-4, you could switch to 4-3 and have less competition in acquiring players who fit the defense.

The coaches have always described our defense as being "multiple". I think we've made a conscious effort to get players who could play in both 3-4 and 4-3. Aldon and Ahmad could easily switch to DE. Ray and Justin could easily shift inside to play DT. Dorsey looks like he could play the 5, 3, or 1 technique. Bowman would be a beastly weak-side linebacker. We have the freedom to do what we want defensively.
I never said we should switch, but several media members have mentioned it lately. It was just a topic for discussion. WE ARE A 3-4 DEFENSE!!
4-3 seems too predictable to me. And I don't see Fangio switching. he has always been a 3-4 guy. The media just likes to start crap.
Cheap jersey and very nice quality NFL Jersey just need $18.99 2013 Super bowl Patch In stock now Order 10 pcs jerseys we provide free shipping.Share our site you can get the 5% discount code!~Tell us the number and we will update for you :)Enjoy the best online shipping experience[URL="http://www.efeelsports.com/nfl-jerseys-c-1.html"]Cheap NFL Jerseys[/URL]
The way teams are differentiated in the NFL between 3-4 and 4-3 is typically whether they employ a nose tackle and how many guys have their hands on the ground. Obviously the differences go beyond this, and most teams are very multiple, but it's a simplistic designation.

I think people overstate the differences between the two fronts, and the 4-3 Under article above is an example of why. We use a very similar front to what Seattle uses, but Aldon doesn't put his hand on the ground as often as Clemons does, so we're called a 3-4 team and they're called a 4-3 team.

It's far more informative to look at the roles of the individual positions within our defense than it is to simply state we're a 3-4 team. There are tons of variations within the 4-3 that are more like a 3-4 and vice versa.
Another key point is that we need our DLs to be able to play 3-tech and 5-tech. This is why we've had success with smaller, more athletic DLs than those used by a lot of 3-4 teams. Our guys need to be able to thrive in one-gap and two-gap situations.
Originally posted by RD_Town:
4-3 seems too predictable to me. And I don't see Fangio switching. he has always been a 3-4 guy. The media just likes to start crap.
Our 3-4 is too predictable. Or in the words of Trent Dilfer "Very vanilla" throughout the season
Originally posted by frozen49er:
I refuse to listen to audio on my computer (too many ads and BS videos) any one have a written version?

Lol wtf